“Great pool for kids and adults”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My kids loved the pool area. They have a sand beach that goes into the pool. They have a big water slide that is awsome. The resort could be a little more kid friendly maybe give a little gift at check in.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank mareks8
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

We are so glad your family enjoys our water playground and sand beach! We think your children would also like the educational activities and crafts at Camp Hyatt. Thank you for the fantastic suggestion and taking the time to provide a review!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,964)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We completely agree with all reviews where this place was rated at 10. Staff members and management go above and beyond your expectations to make sure you enjoy your stay. Wonderful place to get away and enjoy your vacation!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trav177
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! It was our pleasure to show you an enjoyable vacation and we cannot wait to see you again in the future! We hope you'll stay in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter until your next visit!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This resort is fantastic - the only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that I feel it tries to be "everything," catering to adults and to families. While this is not a bad thing, I certainly would not want to honeymoon at this resort, especially on weekends when the place is over-run by families with young children. My husband and I travel often with our 3 kids but we also travel alone. On this trip it was just the 2 of us. See my pros and cons below....

The pros:

Beautiful pools and landscape combined with a gorgeous view. It’s awesome on every level.

They have an adult-only pool which is beautiful - I posted a picture of it. There is a bar area and many lounge chairs. We never had trouble finding a nice place to relax while at the tranquility pool.

The family pool is also wonderful with several options for activities - a beach, a volleyball net, a water slide. Families seemed to be having fun and the staff was very attentive.

We ate sushi at the hotel and it was very good. Would recommend that as well as the lunch at the spa and the adult pool area. I had salads at both and they were excellent.

The spa was outstanding. It’s full service and there is another pool area there.

Our service all-around was excellent.

Our room (a complimentary upgrade) was oversized, modern, beautiful bathroom with a large shower (no tub) and a balcony.

The cons:

The place is over-run (no exaggeration here) with families and small kids all weekend. We checked in on Sat night and the place did not clear out until mid-day Mon. The bar and lounge area is one level below the main lobby and it is wide open so the place was packed with traffic. They should look into a more private bar/lounge area.

While there is an adult pool, which was WONDERFUL, everywhere else in the resort was not as peaceful. We were traveling without our kids and we enjoyed having the quiet of the adult pool but as I mention above, I would not want to be that couple who is honeymooning because the resort (as a whole) really does not have that vibe at all. Most areas of the hotel are not conducive to a grown-up atmosphere. I’m not being negative to families – I love that this is a resort that caters to families – but I think they try to do both the family and the adult-only crowd and I’m not sure that it’s possible in this setting. I did read a review of another traveler who said that she felt they did not enforce the adult-only pool, but I found that to NOT be the case. Within one minute of a family or children entering the tranquility pool area, they were nicely asked to leave. So, kudos to the staff at the Hyatt for staying on top of that.

Overall, this resort is high on beauty and service but I feel it needs an identity check.

Room Tip: pick a room that is away from the center lounge/bar area - it can be noisy
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank klgbliss

Thank you so much for posting a photograph of our adult-only pool at The Grotto! We appreciate your thorough list of our accommodations. It is our top priority to provide an unforgettable getaway for everyone. We are truly pleased you choose our resort. If you are looking for romantic and exclusive experiences we think you would enjoy receiving a treatment at in one of our private couple’s suites at Spa Avania, or a gondola ride!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've been lucky enough to spend almost 3 weeks at Gainey Ranch for a one week vacation and 2 week business conference. The first 2 weeks I had a Casita which is spacious, superbly appointed and set next to a lake close to the pool area. The last few days I spent in a Palm Suite which was also very spacious and comfortable with a great view toward to pool area.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, a good choice of restaurants and quality room service (The Italian restaurant is very good) and really nice entertainment almost every night in the main bar area. The pool is a lot of fun with a choice of an adult only pool or the larger and more lively family pool including a slide and a sandy beach area. The cabanas are reasonably priced and offer welcome relief from the heat this time of year.

The conference was a success with good meeting facilities and the staff couldn't do enough to ensure it went smoothly.

The icing on the cake is the superb choice of restaurants in upscale Scottsdale.

So long Gainey Ranch, I'll miss you.

Room Tip: Try to bag a deal on a Casita
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We are so glad you choose to stay with us for your vacation as well as your business trip. We are glad you enjoyed the live entertainment at the Center Stage Bar and our delicious room service! Thank you very much for your kind review of our resort, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I love this hotel and would go back anytime... It is one of my favorite Hyatt resorts. We upgraded to the Regency club and had a killer corner room with a large balcony with wonderful desert views. The food, service, comfort and overall experience was first class. I've stayed at other resorts in Scottsdale but this by far is my favorite.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This has to be the destination property in Scottsdale. Modern and attractive with first class amenities and probably the most attentive service I have experienced.

It has an adult pool that is actually restricted to adults, and for children there is even a sand beach by the pool.

A full breakfast buffet (even have scrambled eggs whites and chocolate chip pancakes for the children) for under $18.00 is outstanding value.

A wonderful experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank David M
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The grounds are quite lovely. The rooms are spacious, especially the huge balcony spaces. The doors to the lobby were kept open, which gave the hotel a relaxed, resort atmosphere. The staff was quite helpful. There are many pools, including an adults-only one, and a huge water slide.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business