“Great Family Vacation in AZ”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Boxford,MA
“Great Family Vacation in AZ”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We spent a week there last week (4/13 - 4/19) and had a wonderful time. We went with two adjoining rooms (our daughters are 6 and 8) and that worked great and in the end was a better deal than a suite. Comfy beds and decent space - at least with two rooms and two closets it worked out. Our rooms were over the Lagoon, or sort of the area where the Regency Club is and so it was v. v. quiet at night. I know some people complain of noise but on our end we just heard the wind and palm fronds. Originally we did pay extra for the club level access but that ended up not being worth it to us since we were doing day trips and cocktails were not included, and it's only $20 to use the spa (which ROCKS!) rooms per day vs. $75 for the club, but it was easy enough to cancel that with no hassle. We loved the live music at night and we loved eating at the Southwest restaurant as well as the poolside menu. The concierge was fantastic at setting up reservations for us, recommending hikes and telling us about places to visit.
My only thought is that it would have been nice to have life guards. There are guards at the water slide, but with so many kids and so many twists and turns in the pools it would have felt safer to me if I knew there were a few people dedicated to watching swimmers. But other than that it was great. We hiked Camelback, Pinnacle Peak, and did horseback riding, really loved eating at the hotel but also a local Thai place (down the street) called Soy4 and then the best place of all time, El Chorro. All kid friendly - our girls are used to dining out, but all those places had kid options.

Room Tip: Over the Lagoon - do not get pool view or main lawn area unless you love great music really late - i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa. We appreciate your thoughtful review as it helps us to better serve you and were very pleased you enjoyed Spa Avania. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Missouri
Reviewed April 22, 2013

No idea why this isn't a 5 circle rating. Was totally blown away by this place. The view. The seemingly unending pools. Totally off the charts. The ONLY thing that I found odd was that housekeeping came by and knocked at like 8 am. Thankfully we were awake, but I would have been pretty bummed to have been awakened by that while on vacation. But, that's just a small negative. Otherwise, perfect!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank April D
Thank you very much for your review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Maryland
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

There for 5 days on a company function.
Room was shop worn and did not have a bathtub, only a shower! I believe the room cost was about $350 and certainly should have looked better than it did for that money.

The room, although clean, was in need of refurbishing and repair to the scratched and chipped furniture. Confusing hotel layout to get to the typical, dreary hotel ballrooms.

Service people did their jobs well and were attentive to guests needs.
Think the Mariott Desert Ridge property is newer and 'does it better.'

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ellenvp
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments about our staff and for taking the time to provide a review. We are disappointed to read your comments about our guest rooms and apologize they were not in the condition our property is known to be in. We hope you will share the room number you stayed in so we can tend to the comments you shared. Thank you again for your review, we hope to see you again in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I decided to take our first trip together, post baby, to the Hyatt. Unfortunately it was during spring break.
The location is great as it's a short drive to all the downtown Scottsdale action as well as Phoenix. They offer valet as well as self parking.
The hotel grounds are beautiful and most of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Check in was smooth, however I wasn't offered a margarita like I read in most of the reviews... could have been because we checked in at midnight. We booked a standard room which was spacious and our balcony overlooked a courtyard. They have a Starbucks on site as well as a few restaurants. We saw live music each night which was an added touch. They didn't play through the night like I saw on some previous reviews. If you go to bed at 9pm then ask for a room away from the lobby. I think they finished up each night between 10-11pm.
The spa here was amazing and I wish I would've come back to spend the day there instead of the pool. We spent our time here at the adult pool which was beautiful, however this is where my frustration lies. Like I mentioned, we came during spring break, so I expected crowds. There were kids in our "adult pool" and the staff didn't seem to do anything about it. While I don't mind the older teenagers, ten year olds playing catch should have been moved to their own section. There isn't really a divide within the grounds though... Pools are separated by the towel bar and a grotto. My other gripe is that people came down at 7am to reserve their chairs.... My husband and I came down at 8am on our last day to spend a few hours here and about 80% of chairs were already "reserved". This should not be allowed and it isn't at most hotels I visit. The worst part about it was that I didn't even see these people in the 3.5 hours we were down there! Hotel staff should also remove the base towels from the chairs... they were all wet in the morning and while I got towels to go over them, I still thought it was gross. My suggestion would be to better manage this area.
Regardless, the property is nice and the grounds are well kept. I would recommend this hotel or return in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at our resort during your vacation. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your review. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with our large number of guests during spring break and look forward to sharing your comments with our staff. We hope to see you and your husband again in the future, and hopefully the baby once it is old enough to travel!
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

The weather was perfect and the open air lobby/bar was just incredible. I attended a conference at the hotel and it was my first time to AZ, I will have a very positive memory as a result.

The pools are very nice and the view of the mountains stunning.

The staff was always friendly and everything was really clean from the room to the conference area.

Meals at the alto patio were delicious as well as the local coffee shop.

I would love to return with my wife at some time and just relax at the pool. Ahhhh.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Padge9281
Thank you for your kind comments about our resort. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your review. We hope you'll stay in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter until your next visit!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I spent two nites here and it was a great break from the Chicago winter. My room was very large although I was granted a less than inspiring view of what appeared to be a service entry driveway. Luckily I came to golf and didn't spend a lot of time in the room. The cafe for breakfast has a good buffet and very nice seating outside as well as in with a direct view to the golf course. The pool area is large although the bulk of it is kid oriented and the separate calm adult portion fills us quickly. If you want a quiet adult get away this may not be the best place. The wait staff at the pool and staff in general is very friendly and helpful and there's a great area that opens up creating a continuous space between inside and outside and in the evening people gather for drinks and there's a band which is a very nice alternative to going off grounds. Overall a very nice place but one I'd probably recommend more for families than singles or couples.

Room Tip: Ask about your view at check in.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel twice 2 consecutive meetings for a conference. On the good side, the staff is great, and readily accomodated/honoured my request for a quiet room. I had a lovely room overlooking a small lake/lagoon, and the room was very generous in size. The bed was very comfortable. The conference facility was excellent except that the air conditioning was excessively cold, and many commented on that. My room was super quiet except for the occasional sonorous Italian aria which i heard from the singing gondolier belted out whilst rowing around in the evening, which seemed an incongruous touch in Phoenix, but probably enjoyed by romantic young couples. i had to laugh at this and it was just short bursts, early in the night.

On the bad side, if you dont have a rental car, you are essentially stranded, with nothing nearby within walking distance. They will loan you a bike but only till 5pm. if you wanted to go to the convenience store, which is approximately 1.5mi away, you would need to walk or cab it after 5.
Otherwise, you pay the high hotel rates, such as 17.50 which i paid for a glass of shiraz. i braved the walk and had to return by taxi because i had several bags. when i stumbled out of the taxi with all these bags, no one assisted me, which is my only major complaint. someone opened the door, and ran, and i basically dropped these bags several times in the driveway with no one coming to my assistance despite a dedicated valet station. i might have come back at a bad time when they were all tied up.

Additionally, there is a certain impersonality to the place-- as if they are trying to use technology to promote efficiency but at the expense of a personal touch. Before arriving I got an email that i could check in on line, which was not suitable for me as i needed a quiet room.

On departure i got an email that i could check my bill on line, but could never connect to my account as the web link did not recognise my name. I had a similar experience last year where i rang to get a receipt after check out, and was told to go to the web site. which did not work. it would have been nicer to either get a hard copy under the door or an email with the receipt. Also, there was no room service menu in the room. rather an instruction to push a button on the tv remote to access room service which did not work. i am techno savvy and could not accomplish any of the above. I shudder to think what a non computer literate person would experience. why not put a menu in the room so one has the option to read it and dial room service rather than press the tv remote? because i could not access via the tv the front desk sent me a photocopy of the menu at my request, and i had 3 dinners, which were acceptable but nothing special.
Lastly for the second year in a row, my room key only worked about one in every 5 tries. this, despite having 2 room keys, (the card type). I am not sure what the problem is, but when u are in a remote part of the hotel (at my request) it is frustrating to walk all the way back to the room, and find oneself locked out.
despite all this, i had a really nice time--- what can i say. its a beautiful spot, with really nice rooms and very accomodating staff. in my opinion the technological aspect is interfering with the charm and practicality fo the hotel.

Room Tip: lake view away from reception i was in 4700 area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your thoughtful review. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your guest room and our meeting facilities. We often receive positive feedback about our attentive and personable staff; we apologize that you did not have that experience during your stay. We truly appreciate your comments and look forward to sharing them with our staff to ensure your next stay is even more enjoyable. We hope you'll stay in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter!