“Supreme oasis in the desert”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed September 6, 2012

First of all it's a huge resort. Not just the gardens and pools, the rooms are spacious as well. But enough about sizes, this is a wonderful resort and an enjoyable place to stay. The resort is very well maintained, every were you look is always clean and tidy. The staff is very welcoming and polite and always giving you the feeling that you are an important guest. It is a bit distant from downtown Scottsdale, if you wanted to be close to the nightlife scene or the 'Fashion Square', but you get a shopping shuttle included in the mandatory resort fee and the roads are almost always clear. If you don't want to leave, they have 3 or 4 shops and a Starbucks Café in the resort. The food is great and they even have an Italian and sushi restaurants. The resort has its own golf course, tennis court and even its own lake with gondolas ride!
Unfortunately for me I didn’t get to use the spa but I did spent a lot of time in the 24-hr-gym.
The view is amazing and if you want to explore it riding bicycles, it is also included in the resort fee.
Tips:
• Drink your morning coffee at one of the lair beds on the garden and enjoy the view and quiet.
• Try to get a room that is close to an elevator. It could be a long walk..
• Don’t miss the live show every night
• Be careful with the complementary margarita..

Finally, it is a great resort and I enjoyed staying there.

Room Tip: try to get one close to an elevator and facing the lake
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shai A
Write a ReviewReviews (2,965)

Reviewed September 1, 2012

1. Unfriendly start in the reception: "This is what you have ordered online and you must take it" .... They offered 3 days for the price of two, which I wanted and especially noted - but the computer did something else ...... was sorted out by the manager after some threat of leaving - but it is a nice hotel
2. The American Restaurant SWB is very good, breakfast is good too
3. The Sushi bar is excellent
4. The Italian restaurant "Alto" was very disappointing. The first carafe of Californean red wine, 45 $, was obviously opened many days ago, replacement, my new choice was a good wine but around 30 degrees C. My daughter got a tiny portion of duck. After noticing, she got something more, but looking and tasting like chicken. DON'T GO TO ALTO.
5. Pools were being renovated. The open "adult" pool was kind of small and shallow.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BengtHUlm
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for visiting us and taking some time to provide a review; your feedback means a lot to us! We have shared your comments about your meal with the manager and chef at Alto and look forward to hosting you for a more typical and enjoyable dining experience with us in the future!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I'd stayed here once before and had an absolutely wonderful experience. This was another good experience -- I'd still recommend the hotel -- although it was not quite as amazing as the first.

The hotel's pluses remain -- it's a gorgeous facility with very pleasing design, from the lobby to the guest rooms. Everything is well-appointed, and staff were responsive and eager to help. It's simply a beautiful property, from the rooms and buildings to the gardens. The fitness center is excellent -- wonderful equipment, spacious, very clean.

The two downsides on my stay were (1) the pool being mostly closed for MAJOR construction and (2) the AC struggling. I don't blame the hotel for either to a large extent. The pool project was clearly noted on the website at the time of reservation and thus wasn't a surprise, and I applaud the hotel for continuing to renew itself. I thought the pool was great during my last stay; it appears they are totally ripping it apart, and I imagine the new pool will be even better. The construction was well-managed. The AC was a bit frustrating -- I really struggled to keep my room cool enough for a truly great night's sleep -- but the fact of the matter is that my visit was in the middle of summer and the high temperature was 115 degrees. I think any air conditioner would have trouble keeping up with that kind of take-your-breath-away heat. But, those two things made the hotel stop a little short of being an absolute show-stopper.

Nevertheless, I had a great stay. During the off-season, the hotel is very affordable; you almost feel guilty paying so little for such a lovely facility. Highly recommended; will happily return!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank brmusicman
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. We're sorry to read you weren't completely cool in your room and would love to know the guestroom number you stayed in so we can investigate the functionality of your air conditioner. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we're looking forward to sharing our upgraded facilities in the near future!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel is all inclusive. Room sizes are average, but the bathroom has an upscale shower. Also, our room had a wonderful covered balcony with two chaise lounges, plants, and a table with seating for four. The outdoor furniture was rattan. The grounds are luscious and there are a sufficient number of restaurants so you don't feel the need to leave the property. However, if you do, valet has FREE bicycles to rent and there is boutique-type shopping within a short bike ride. When we were there, there was major work being done on the water play area. It looks to be extensive when completed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mblosch23

Thank you for visiting us during your time in Scottsdale. We're very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and look forward to sharing our renovations with you when they're completed soon!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband planned a surprise vacation for us . I had no idea where we were going until we were sitting on the plane and the flight attandent anounces the destination . I was so excited, neither of us have ever been. As soon as we were pulling into the long driveway with all the different types of plants and trees fountains, I was blown away. Let me start from the moment we pulled in because I have read the posts from others that have had terrible things to say, and it really made me think " where do those people live " to be saying all those negative things about this resort. Ok, it starts ! We pull up and 10 seconds the valet service approaches us, very polite. We decided to park our car in the regular parking lot considering it was only an extra 20 feet to walk from the front entrance of the resort. So directed towards the lady who made such a big deal about how she got charged for using the valet and leaving her vehicle over night in the garage and got charged a big whooping 27$, u should have read the big sign that states what charges are for what services, or u could have just walked your lazy butt the extra 20 feet. With that said, we walk into Hyatt and no sooner does the bell boy grab our luggage takes it over to the front desk, we check in, the bell boy brings our luggage and directs us to our room. Both front desk and bell boy were gentleman and very polite. Now on too the actual start of our vacation. I say that because we arrived so late. We walked around the resort to get an idea of where everything was. I could have just kept walking and walking. The views were amazing and all the gardens and ponds and fountains and trees on the actual resort were worth the traveling. Every staff member that we passes made a point to say " hello, asked of we needed anything". The grounds men kept up the landscape as if u were looking at it from a magazine or photo. The pool area had tons of cabanas and great lounge chairs. As for another comment that the pool was "small and kids everywhere ". I'm taking a guess at this one but this lady has no kids, and just a tip for your next vacation, book a resort that doesn't allow kids. They do have those believe it or not. When my husband first made the reservation he didn't know that the water park and other pools were under construction. 5 minutes later they called him and notified him of it in case he wanted to book someplace else. Very nice on hyatt's end! We were looking forward to that part but after everything we saw it was not a big deal. They actually did not make any reservations for those rooms that either over looked the renovations or were near the renovations due to the noise. They worked on that water park every day that we were there and not once did we hear any construction going on. It was very peaceful. The food was fabulous, a bit on the expensive side but hey that's to be expected. They have outdoor dining along with cozy cabanas to hang out in with a nice cocktail. Every night they have live entertainment. Addressing another dumb comment " my room was right above the entertainment floor and I could hear the music all night". Um, no ! There r no rooms above the entertainment room. Which is the main floor of the resort that's where the bars, restaurants are. If the people who would like more privacy they have these beautiful villas that are seperate from the hotel. Old Scottsdale and Sedona are two places to see along with booking some adventure trips. We did the rafting and the tomcar's. Both were awesome and again the views you see are breath taking. All the staff are more than happier to help you and to make anything more convenient for you. We reserved just a standard room with king size bed with a balcony. The rooms are clean and the view from our balcony was gorgeous , it was of the courtyard with all these palm trees and grass that is more green than the color green. The only negative thing I would say about the room was there wasn't enough drawer space, and I did put that on the comment card. On a vacation how much time do you really spend in your room???? Not much, as long as it is clean and clean linens what is there to complain about. NOTHING ! But some ppl can find anything. We just recently came back from Scottsdale . We went in the hottest month of the year and if we were asked to go back again in August we would. That is how much we loved this place. It hit over 110* one day and didn't bother us. Another comment I have to mention is " can you believe in such hot, dry heat they had the front doors opened". There was one day out of ten days that we were there that those doors were opened. And it didn't change the temperature indoors at all. And we went in the hottest month of the yr lady. Again I don't know where these ppl come from or how they were raised. The last is the spa, very beautiful, friendly service, relaxing. Something to put on the list " to do". I know I've written a lot , I didn't proof read it either because I'm so tired of typing . But all's I got to say is this place is as classy or as relaxing you want it to be. Very therapuetic! Everyone at this resort was wonderful, fantastic, so fantastic we loved it so much we extended our stay 3 times ! I didn't like to read those terrible or poor comments that were left.. Yes they are there to serve you and make your stay as comfortable as
possible, the only one thing these ppl didn't do was kiss the women's hands upon meeting or kiss your feet. And the ones who left mean comments are the ones who expected that. They expect to get the absolute best while stinking their noses in the air. And if you look at there rating they don't need you type of ppl to go there. Which was a whole of 2% of the comments. What u give off is what your going to get back in return. Granted their in the service industry u stuck up's shouldn't expect them to kiss the ground you walk on. Overall this is one of my favorite places to travel. My husband and I have been to a variety of travels. And Hyatt resort in Scottsdale Arizona is one of our fav's. And no one can expect vacationing to be perfect. Something always has to happen. You make the best of it and move on. And a tip for u fussy fussy fussy ppl do your homework prior to booking a trip . For god sake you can look at the resort via satilite for crying out loud. We love loved it :)))))))). Shout out to Steve- O

Sincerely and thank you Hyatt for a wonderful stay
Jeff and Stef K

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Stefanielk

Thank you very much for your detailed review of your stay. We are thrilled to read you enjoyed your time at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa so much and appreciated your feedback! We're glad to have you as a fan and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hyatt in Scottsdale and by far one of the best hotels I've stayed at!!

From the service to the location to the views everything was beyond great! As soon as you pull up to the location the lovely people at the front desk offer to help you with anything including offering you a drink!!

I cant say enough good things about this resort it makes you feel like your tucked away on an island.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa! We were thrilled to host you and are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We've been here often, most recently in May. If you are traveling in the off-season, you can score some killer rates through any of the travel websites. The tennis courts are a favorite, but the pools definitely take the cake. We keep going back mainly for the beautiful pools.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank YoungBucky
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your kind review about Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa! We're really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated your comments about our amenities! We're looking forward to seeing you in Scottsdale again soon!