“Great Stay-cation Location”

Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Avondale, AZ
“Great Stay-cation Location”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

My wife and I live west of Phoenix and wanted to do a quick stay-cation for our 11th anniversary. I booked the Hyatt through Hotwire and got a great deal.

The grounds and atmosphere at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch are superb. This is a great place in the evenings because of the live music and the general buzz of the night life. The gondola ride was enjoyable, but be ready to share the ride with at least one other couple.

Our room was immaculate and well-appointed. The A/C unit was not particularly powerful, which could become more of a problem in the hot summer months. The staff was courteous and responsive.

The one disappointing thing about our experience was the Alto Risorante, on property. I had heard from many that this was a great restaurant so we decided to give it a try.

We had a reservation, arrived 5 minutes early, and were seated immediately. Once seated, we sat there for 20 minutes before a server from another table noticed us and said he would serve us because he wasn't sure where our server was. The food is good, but pricey in my opinion ($30 for a small plate of pasta with shrimp). To top it all off, I got a 24-hour stomach bug from something I ate.

I'm guessing this was just an off day for the restaurant, but I really don't think I'd go again if I was given the chance. At least we got a free gondola ride out of it. :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
We are often chosen to host a "stay-cation" when our local neighbors are looking for a getaway! The pools, great service and nightly entertainment are many of the reasons. We are disappointed in the experience you had in Alto, as the service and food quality typically receive very positive reviews. We would like to have another chance to serve you, so please contact our food and beverage director at 480-483-5520 so that we can work this out. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Chicago
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I arrived in the morning and was allowed to check in early and given a complementary margarita!! What better way to start my spa vacation. There was a great shower in the room and my balcony was huge...two lounge chairs and a table with two chairs. The pool was great. One side with families and the other adults only. I ate at the sushi bar and the italian restaurant and both were great. I had the prosciutto at Alto and thought the waiter carved me a little too much for an appetizer, but guess what, i ate it all and it was yummy. I spent two days in the spa and have to say it was so relaxing. If you have a service done there you can spend the day there relaxing in the mineral pool and saunas. The facial I had was great the girl even massaged my feet. I also had a massage, mani and pedi. I may skip the mani/pedi next time since i could get it done just as well for 1/3 of the price at a day spa in my home town. I will definitely try to make this an annual trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank thr45
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
We're so happy you had a great stay here! Thanks for a kind review and we hope to see you again!
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We recently stayed with our two children ages 9 and 7. Our room was spacious and clean. We booked with a AAA rate that included breakfast which was a great deal. The breakfast buffet at their SWB bistro was excellent.
Pools are nice but a tad chilly. Kids enjoyed the beach area of the pool but they thought the waterside was boring.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is beautiful and the lobby bar very inviting at night.
The SWB restaurant is nice but we wished it had a different lunch and dinner menu. The Italian restaurant Alto was ok.
Overall a nice place to stay

• Stayed April 2011
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
We're glad you enjoyed your stay! We're frequently changing our menus and updating dishes so thanks for the response and we hope to see you again soon!
canada
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My wife and I were hoping for a kid friendly resort where adults could still enjoy a relaxing and entertaining atmosphere. The Hyatt has done an incredible job of creating a resort which includes a clean and baby friendly beach for families and nightly entertainment. My son was in baby utopia and we also enjoyed the areas providing shade along with a hot tub and large swimming area. In addition, the Hyatt staff responded to any of our needs in a timely and expedient fashion with a great attitude. The only negative part of the stay was the sometimes overly expensive room service and 24 hour food market/cafe. However, any negatives were overcome by great staff at the Hyatt who even Fed Exed my toddler's shoes left behind without charge (Thank you, Neil in Security!!!). Overall, the Hyatt exceed our expectations! Highly recommend especially if you have young children.

Room Tip: If you have toddlers, book a larger room for them.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank happytravelstoall
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Amazing hotel/resort. Stayed at the West Kierland during the same trip and it wasn't half as enjoyable. Great staff, lovely yard and pools, excellent meal in courtyard restaurant listening to live music.

My only regret was not having more time to spend here.

Room Tip: just ask for an upgrade at the desk
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank randomvector
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Really can't say anything bad about this property. So much to do there and around Scottsdale. Obviously a big group/event hotel but it is so spread out, you don't even notice. The spa is outstanding, great services along with plenty of room to relax. Had a wonderful meal at the Italian restaurant. Can't wait to return on a weekend (we were there M-F) seems like a lot of fun events are scheduled then!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I hadn't been to a Hyatt in a while, and I had forgotten how totally awesome Hyatt resort pools can be. The spa facility is first rate. Expensive, but first rate. I saw a couple of male golfers getting manicures and pedicures in the salon. So, guys, if you've been tempted to see why your wife loves it so much, this may be a safe place to give it a try. It's not a "girly" salon. The tortilla soup at SWB is excellent. If you can manage the Regency Club, the venue is fabulous with it's own large outdoor dining area with lily pads and bouganvillias. They had free lox and bagels in the Regency Club for breakfast, as well as a lot of other items. The balcony outside our room is small but pleasant, and it looks as though each balcony has it's own bouganvillia. My only complain about the room (3218) is that we are right over the courtyard where they play live music at night, and I would have preferred silence. Well, one more complaint. I am an afficianado of bath tubs, and even in our uber-suite, the bath tubs are shallow and pretty ordinary. They are not designed for someone who relishes an hour long bubble bath. My husband says the golf course is very nice, done in a conventional style rather than the desert landscaping you often see in AZ. He said it was a lot easier than our home course (a PGA tour venue).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business