“Not Worth It”

Courtyard Scottsdale at Mayo Clinic
Ranked #44 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed April 4, 2007

This place is way over priced! Only because its near the Mayo clinic are they able to fleece the infirm and elderly! What a bland and ordinary basic hotel. I've seen Holiday Inns a lot better than this dump! Its only single redeeming feature.....its on the Mayo Clinic grounds! Off the Mayo property and it would a $79/nt hotel!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank mewisemagic

Reviewed March 17, 2007

We got married in Fountain Hills and just wanted some place close to stay and relax before moving into our new home (delayed honeymoon). We figured that since it had a Marriott name (and Mayo) attached the place would be worth the $200 per night... We got ripped off. The place was dumpy and dirty. The walls are paper thin and we could her the guy next door snoring all night, then yapping on his cell phone walkie talkie all morning. The food was OK in the morning, but pricy too.

Being close to Mayo, I can understand why some need to stay there. If you can avoid this place, stay closer to the 101 and get a good room near good places to eat.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2006

We booked our stay with Courtyard through Priceline, and didn't find the awful reviews other TripAdvisor members had left until after it was too late. We were SCARED after what we read. Thank goodness, nothing previously written about this hotel could have been any further from the truth.

Our trip was for pleasure, and the Courtyard suited us because it was close to our relatives who live in Fountain Hills and Priceline provided a generous discount. I can't say how the hotel stacks up against other Mayo Clinic lodging, but as average travelers, we found the accomodations to be pleasant, clean and comfortable.

We learned from the front desk staff that the Courtyard's recent remodeling is now complete. Other reviews stated that the hotel has been around for several decades, but to us the building didn't appear more than a year old in any respect, inside or out.

Over the course of our two week trip to AZ, our itinerary brought us to Fountain Hills twice.. as a result, we had two separate stays at the Courtyard. The quality of our two rooms (on opposite sides of the facility) was consistent, and we found all members of the staff (different shifts) to be perfectly aimicable.

Should we ever need lodging near Fountain Hills again, we will not hesitate to stay at the Courtyard.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank danrohio
Reviewed October 7, 2006

I work for mayo clinic and usually when mayo clinic sends their employees on business trips the accomodations and everything will be "mayo clinic top-notch". However, this hotel is a disgrace to Mayo Clinic. It is old and expensive and the only reason people would ever choose to stay here is because of its location next to mayo clinic. The windows in the rooms are all dirty and fogged up and you can't even see out of them. The bed sheets were stained and the couch looked really dirty. The bathroom floors were not cleaned well and the shower didn't drain when using it. Being that this was a marriott hotel, I would have thought there would have been some nice shampoos, lotions and soaps in the bathrooms, but there was just one small bar of soap and one tiny bottle of shampoo (the brand hasn't been made for the past 3 years so it was old). The cleaning staff at the hotel are very rude - they are extremely loud and their noises in the hallways woke me up at 6 am during both days I stayed there. I wanted to go swimming in the pool but it was so freezing cold. The hot tub was ok, but it didn't look like it had been cleaned for awhile. One person at the front desk was very nice and gave me some batteries for free when I asked if the store sold some and they didn't. The other terrible thing that happened is they locked me out of my room one night. I only had 5 minutes to stop by my room and was in a hurry when i had to walk all the way back to the front desk for them to ask me about my bill. So they lock people out of their rooms just so they can give them a message and take their credit cards. Couldn't they have just left us a message on our phones in the room? They did this to two other people that were in my group too. Very rude and unprofessional service. My recommendation: stay in fountain hills (just a mile away) or somewhere else in scottsdale and drive to the mayo clinic for your appts or surgery!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank am5
Reviewed May 3, 2006

We stayed here because my husband was having surgery. We stayed almost 2 weeks. The first night I pulled out the couch bed and there were no sheets for it. I called the front desk and I received a very cold response.....'the sheets are coming'. When we got them...and this is late at night...we just arrived from a grueling flight and I spread the fitted sheet out and it had 'STAINS"...from previous tenants....need I say more. It was absolutely gross!!! I called the desk again and they had no apology....but did send 'kinda' clean sheets. After a couple days we forgave it....because we had more important problems to deal with regarding the surgery. A few nights later.....we had to ask for sheets again....(if you don't request your wishes each day.....they do not just figure it out on their own....that we need clean sheets "every night". This is now the night before my husband's surgery.....and I spread the sheets out on the bed....and ONCE AGAIN....we got a sheet with horrendous 'stains' again.....and added to that.....a lot of pubic hair added. I called the desk and once again...they just siad....'ok....we'll send another sheet over.'. This is not right nor is it sanitary. We also requested 'non feather' pillows. We received non feathered pillows the first 2 nights and then we received feather pillows (at least 10 yr old pillows) till we had to call again to request the fibre pillows. When you are at this hotel to be close to the clinic....you have many other worries to deal with.....it would be nice if just the simple pleasures you would enjoy would be met. As I type this out....we are still waiting for a clean sheet and fibre pillows.

The 'so called' restaurant is comparable to the hospital cafeteria....but with high end prices. Stay out of the pool......it is so oily from not being cleaned.....its unsanitary. They don't turn any heat on in the pool unless someone complains. We tried the services for a pedicure and massage......watch out....'unsanitary'. And DO NOT get a 'theropeutic' massage....it is so painful....I had bruises for days. She does the massage in your room.....she wheels in a luggage cart with 2 sheets and uses YOUR own pillows for a bed..... so good luck sleeping on oil soaked pillows that night. This world reknown clinic really needs a decent and clean atmosphere for people here for serious health problems.

I'm sorry to be expressing all this.....but we really needed home comforts being here for the surgery....and it was way below acceptable. We will certainly do our homework about accommodations before coming back to the clinic.

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank manapaka
A TripAdvisor Member
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2006

My wife and I were on a long weekend vacation and I couldn't ask for a better place to stay. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. I would like to thank the staff for your excellent service. And for Penny at the front desk, thanks for the "Above and Beyond" customer service you gave us!

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 31, 2006

This place is SO overpriced and offers very few comforts. I stay there frequently because it is so close to my daughter's home but cannot wait until some other hotels are finally built in the area.

It is actually very far from Scottsdale and is much closer to Fountain Hills. It is by the Mayo Clinic so they have a built in customer base. They are taking advantage of an area of town that has very few hotels and people who are ill and/or their families.

The people who work there are generally rude, with the exception of Penny, and the "recently remodeled" rooms received a facelift that was not very good. The tubs still fill up with water to around your ankles when taking a shower, and the commodes may or may not flush. The "new" beds are rocks.

This hotel should not be part of the Marriott chain!!

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank CL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Inn at Eagle Mountain
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Scottsdale
Courtyard Scottsdale North
Courtyard Scottsdale North
#51 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Courtyard Scottsdale at Mayo Clinic? Share your experiences!