Tripadvisor
Scottsdale

“Jose was our server great service and food selections on a cool wet evening in Scottsdale”

Spiga Cucina Italiana
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

Jose was our server. Great spiel and great recommendations. Veal dish was super. Ravioli short rib entrees were fantastic. Tirimisu dessert was best choice! Jose gave us very good red/ white wine recommendations

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (449)

Reviewed January 9, 2020 via mobile

I was asked to join some friends for dinner and they chose this restaurant. Loved the atmosphere as cozy and very authentic Italian. Service was very good and the food was equally as good. They have indoor and outdoor seating. It was a little chilly outside, but they have outside heaters that make it very comfortable. I had the ravioli stuffed with short ribs that was delicious... I would order it again. Someone else had the short ribs and that was very good!

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 7, 2020

Unfortunately the owner likes to take care of his regular guests better than his new ones. This was our first visit and safe to say, we will not be regulars!

We had a reservation, but were kept waiting for quite some time while others came in were greeted by the owner and sat immediately. We finally got taken to our table and were placed in a corner of the room which was very cramped and noisy as the kitchen was literally above our heads.

The menu is pretty standard, which was a shame as I had expected something a little different. I ordered the risotto seafood dish and ate the seafood, but the risotto was seriously average. It was extremely disappointing as my wife and I were celebrating. Our waiter didn’t ever show up and we were waited on by another guy that wasn’t supposed to be our waiter. Needless to say, he wasn’t very attentive.

I am sure the regulars know what to order as the rating is really good here, but we were bitterly disappointed.

1  Thank 947carlt
Reviewed December 29, 2019

First time at Spiga and it was Christmas Eve dinner for 11 of us. We were seated on time and provided a semi private room. Of course the restuarant was busy and the menu, whie offering plenty of choices, was not the full menu. The service was excellent and very professional. The drink menu offers several crafted cocktails and a very impressive wine selection. For the table we had a calamari appitizer and a cheese and meat platter. Both were excellent. I had a ceasar salad that had a light, delicate dressing but still very flavorful. My entre was short ribs on a bed of palenta. The meat was tender and fell off the bone with a fork. The palenta was light and creamy. They also had a mixed grilled fish entre for two that presented an assortment of seafood experiences. The deserts were the traditional Italian varierity but all with Spiga's own special inturpretation. All in all, it was a memorable special dinner and the food and service was perfect.

Reviewed December 15, 2019

Beautiful, new, large restaurant, the sort you would expect in North Scottsdale. The atmosphere was refined, but not overdone. We were seated at 6 pm. Half the tables were occupied. By 7 pm every table was taken, and the volume went from a pleasant to raucous. No music, no TVs. By 7:30 pm my wife and I couldn't hear each other. As the busy-ness grew, the attentive service we enjoyed at the beginning of the meal slowed down.

They had an extensive wine selection, and a large menu. The crusty white bread and hummus was fine (2 stars). Nothing special. Caesar salad ditto (3 stars). The Caprese Three-Way was beautifully presented and tasty, but all three tomato & mozzarella versions tasted more or less the same (4 stars).

For the main course, I settled on the FILETTO di MAIALE “SALTIMBOCCA." They should have added the suffix "CON MOLTO SALE," with LOTS of salt. That's all I could taste (2 stars). No distinct pork tenderloin, no prosciutto, no caramelized onions, just salt. The smashed potatoes and sauteed vegies (carrots, tri-color bell peppers & spinach), however, were EXCELLENT (5 stars).

My wife wanted to try the wood-fired MARGHERITA CLASSICO pizza. The crust was nicely charred, beautiful to look at, and it was absolutely bland. Almost tasteless. She ate one slice. The next day I put hot sauce on leftovers to give it some life... and it was still below average. (2 stars)

The salvation of the evening was dessert: TORTA della NONA. The lemon tart was perfect. (5 stars)