“Fantastic experience”

Sumo Maya Mexican Asian Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Sumo Maya Mexican Asian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 1,256 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Asian, Mexican, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At SumoMaya Mexican-Asian Kitchen, craveable Tapas-style small plates meet the big, bold flavors of both Latin America and the Far East to create Scottsdale's most exciting dining destination.
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This is my new favorite restaurant. I just wish they had a location near my home. We started with the charred edamame.....fantastic. I could have made a meal out of that. We also loved the guacamole and chili garlic noodles with crab. items are meant to be shared. Our server did a wonderful job of describing options. The decor was fun, a bit loud, but with the quality of food and service it can be overlooked.

Visited August 2014

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Tasty food, great drinks and fun atmosphere”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We recently enjoyed a fun evening at this restaurant, good service, food is very tasty and drinks are really good. The pomegranate guacamole was delicious, all the dishes easy to share. The waitress said they also serve breakfast and lunch on next trip will definitely try.

1 Thank 13sm
Queen Creek, Arizona
“Filthy Overpriced Restaraunt”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have been dying to try this restaurant for months so I was super excited to finally get to give it a try when my husband and I went for a mid-week lunch. Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed and I will not be returning.

I LOVE to eat in Scottsdale and am willing to pay extra for the better flavor and choices. However, the food was not very good, the portions were horribly small, and the prices are more expensive than FULL plates of food at other Scottsdale restaurants. I will say the portion size is what the restaurant is going for and is fine if you get a waiter who actually explains that. It is so you can "try" and "share" everything. We heard another waiter explain that AFTER we had already eaten; ours never mentioned it.

The worse part is that the restaurant was so filthy I thought I was watching an episode of kitchen nightmares!! I didn't see the filth until after I ate at which time I almost puked. I was sitting on a bench against the wall that had button-style upholstery. All of the holes had food stuck in them all the way up and down the bench. I took photos. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. They also keep these weird little pillows on the bench to put between you and your neighbor because they sit you so close together. Very unsanitary.

My husband and I spent $52 for lunch, only drank water, and both left hungry. As a reference point, I don't usually finish a plate of food, so the portions were horribly lacking. I was very sad to leave and embarrassed that I had begged my husband to take me there for a VERY rare lunch date.

1 Thank GClementAZ
Scottsdale, AZ
“Mexican-Asian Fusion Cuisine in the heart of Scottsdale, AZ”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This is the place to visit if you enjoy Mexican and Asia cuisine. The food is excellent, the service superb, nicely appointed, a bit noisy; but the food makes latter insignificant. The restaurant is located on the northwest corner of Scottsdale Road & Lincoln Road, in Scottsdale. Ample parking. Suggest you book reservations especially on weekends.

There were four us dining and we share the dishes. Started with the Chicharron Guacamole, the traditional Guacamole with bits of crispy bacon freshly made and with a wonderful flavor, and served with thick/crisp corn tortillas. The Gazpacho is a must try. The Crispy Chicken Mole was exquisitely prepared. In this dish you could taste the flavor of Mexico with a little touch of Asia. The Tuna Ceviche on Ice was delicately prepared, dressed in a coconut-Mexican lime dressing with crispy plantain and served on a half coconut. A Mexican delight with artful Asian presentation. We tasted some of the more Asian dishes. We had the traditional spicy yellow tail roll, and two of the Sumo Rolls: the Maya Roll and the Shishito Roll all prepared with the freshest ingredients and artfully presented in the Japanese style. Staying in the Asian part of the menu, we try the Kimchi Fried Rice. Rice perfectly steamed with a mild touch of Kimchi, just enough to make to taste buds dance. Highly recommended. But to me the highlight of the meal was the Miso Eggplant, just prepared as my Grandma use to prepare it. I loved it. On my next visit I will have two orders of this dish and bowl of steamed rice.

The staff was very attentive and friendly which made our dining a delightful experience.

You must try Sumo Maya during you next visit to Scottsdale, AZ. And if you are a local, please support this restaurant. It is locally owned/operated.

Greenville, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My Two Favorite Cuisines Combined”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This restaurant features both Mexican and Asian cuisine. Each food item is individually priced so that you can choose each item to create you own meal. It is also recommended to order for the entire table and share. The food is amazing. The atmosphere is modern and posh. I highly recommend the wishing and the fried rice.