“Best Pool Party and Customer Service”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed June 30, 2010

My experience at the W Scottsdale was wonderful. The first time I booked this resort I didn’t know what to expect. All I knew was the weather would be really hot. As a Starwood Preferred Platinum Guest, I was treated with an automatic suite upgrade without asking. The rooms there are what you would expect from a W property. I was caught by surprise that there was actually a fun Hollywood style pool party on the weekend with ample room to move around. I have been to many in Los Angeles and this one is one of the best. If you are a hotel guest I would suggest reserving a chair or getting a cabana if you have a large group. Not much swimming going on but a lot of standing in the pool. There is a really hip nightclub on the weekend that I would suggest going to if you like dancing or listening to good music. For food, I would suggest going to Sushi Roku for happy hour. Good sushi, sake, and cocktails at a reasonable price. There are also really cool local attractions as well. In walking distance there is a neat little speakeasy wine bar that I frequented during my past stay.

Beyond the beautiful property, the customer service was superb. The W Insider Sarah did a fantastic job of coordinating all my activities and made my experience a great one. When is the last time someone sent a proactive personal email welcoming you back prior to arrival? I feel like a very spoiled guest. The bar has been raised!

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank peter_vpnet

Reviewed June 28, 2010

Your staff was very accommodating to my every need and request. The check –in only took about 3 minutes, the prompt response in answering the phones was so appreciated when I called the front desk, and the bellman and doorman were absolutely charming and so helpful in finding transportation for me. The Concierge not only told me about the pool area, but, also gave me a tour of the bar, lounge and pool. Every time I entered your hotel, a member of your staff recognized me and asked if I need anything and made me feel so special.

The room was decorated in two of my favorite colors and the overall the arrangement of the furniture was very comfortable. The closet, I really liked because of the wonderful lighting inside, and the shower was fabulous with natural light beaming through the glass. The pillows were great and not too puffy.

I will definitely stay at your hotel again in my favorite city, Scottsdale, and will recommend you to others as well.

Thank you so much for allowing me to have such a positive and inspirational stay at your property, the W Hotel in Scottsdale!!! And I will return!

Kimberly

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
alyskie, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2010

Well hello there Kimberly! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a W-onderful review about your W Scottsdale experience! We are so glad to hear that you were well taken care of by our talent and that you enjoyed all the amenities we have to offer! We will look forward to welcoming you again the next time you visit Scottsdale and appreciate you spreading the word! Warmest Wishes - Alyssa Kiefer - W Scottsdale

Reviewed June 28, 2010

W Scottsdale has set the bar so high for me that I will be a loyal guest forever. My check in experience was superb from the time I gave my car to the valet and then checked in at the front desk. You can tell that the employees love working there and are eager to please. The room was spacious and comfortable stocked with Bliss Spa amenities. Facilities I used were the gym and pool which exceeded my expectations. Even though I wasn't traveling for business, I used the Wired area to conduct a few pieces of work and everything was available for my use. Bliss Spa in on site and the spa experience was sublime. Sushi Roku is a restaurant on site and serves excellent complimentary coffee in the morning and has a great breakfast menu. Yvette, my server, was superb and helped me select the Huevos Rancheros which were perfect with the right amount of heat and flavor. The W bed was incredibly comfortable and I had excellent sleep with no outside noise at all. I will be sure to make this a hotel of choice to my colleagues who travel here and to my friends and neighbors who want a staycation. Thank you W for a job well done.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Can't say enough good things about the W Scottsdale - the rooms were fantastic, the pool was fantastic both during the day and at night. Great atmosphere, great service, the entire staff was on top of their game. We had a blast for one of my best friends bachelor party. The W was the place to be.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Let me first start off with the good: great bell service, extremely courteous and friendly Acura driver on Saturday and Tuesday. Helpful whatever/whenever staff – especially when we requested pool privileges at the Phoenician due to the Spring Break/Vegas atmosphere at "Wet".

Now for the not-so-good: First of all, one day we went to Sedona for the day and were out of our room from 8 am to 5 pm. Upon returning to the hotel at 5 pm, tired and dusty from a Jeep tour, we found the maid just started cleaning our room – at 5 pm!! She was oblivious to the fact that I was a little irritated, and continued to move in slow-motion; I asked her to just leave us towels, make the bed, and leave. When I called down to speak to a manager on duty (Nick), he apologized and offered me extra shampoo and conditioner (?) – and said, “so that we don’t run into this for the remainder of your stay, what time would you like your room serviced” … my husband was at a meeting, I was not – I did not want to be “locked into” a service time. The following day, I saw the maid cart down the hall and went to tell her that I was leaving for a few hours and would she please clean my room – well, the security bar was across the door and the door ajar, so I knocked, she answered, and I stuck my head in the door – one maid was sitting at the desk, while the other one cleaned the bathroom. I thought perhaps this is why they don’t work very fast – the one sitting at the desk wasn’t doing anything but watching the other one; it struck me as very unusual.

Now for the inexcusable: two days later, I was on the computer in our room and checked the history; I was shocked to find that on the day prior, the maid had been on the in-room computer searching Craigslist for jobs and casual sexual encounters with another woman! I mentioned this to my husband at the end of the day, and he also discovered that none of our personal information was being erased – as it states when you begin/end a "session". On top of this, when we returned to our room that evening, our key cards were once again demagnetized (this happened at least once a day); we called security to gain access to our room, and while waiting my husband tried turning the door handle and it opened. It turns out that the door had not been latching. I once again called for a manager, and Nick came to our room. We showed him the computer history and my husband did a print screen for him. Nick was kind of speechless, and I sensed he didn’t really know how to handle the situation from a customer service standpoint. He left the room and promised to take care of the situation. Shortly thereafter, we heard noises like someone was trying to open our door; my husband went to the door to inquire who was there and a man’s voice said “security – I’m using a key card reader” … now, if I had been alone in the room and heard someone at my door, I probably would have freaked out. It would have been nice to get a phone call, or knock on the door first – letting us know what was going on. After this happened, my husband called the company that provides guest access for the in-room computer as we really didn’t feel comfortable with Nick’s assurances of taking care of the problem. The company gained remote access and was unable to clear our personal history, and remarked to my husband that this is a “known problem”. The following morning, someone gained remote access (while I was in the middle of a session) and seemed to fix the problem. Hmm, how many others have not had their privacy protected on these in-room computers?

Upon checkout, we discovered an incorrect F&B charge– my husband went to the front desk and they told him it was for room service – we never had room service our entire time! I was very surprised that the GM never made contact with us regarding our experience. Although we've had great stays at the W New York and W New Orleans, I would not recommend this particular hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
alyskie, General Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2010

Well, hello there! I am so sorry to hear that your W Scottsdale experience fell short of a WOW. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I meet every week with my senior leadership team to discuss the feedback we recieve from guests. I will definitely bring your review to discuss the issues you experienced to see what can be done to ensure that they are not recurring. I take all feedback very seriously and it’s feedback like this that will help us to improve the experience of future guests. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact me at gmleonyoung@whotels.com. Thank you once again. Warm Wishes, Leon Young, General Manager, W Scottsdale

Reviewed June 8, 2010

I personally like W hotels, but they are certainly designed for an atmosphere. Scottsdale was no different. Young, rich and good looking people. Very club-like atmosphere.

Great use of small space in the rooms, and I sure don't complain about Bliss Spa products in-room. The walls are a bit thin, so plan to hear whatever people in the hallways, next door and your own bathroom are up to. But, like stated before, this place has a demographic and if you care about noise late at night, you're probably not it.

One complaint, I needed some OTC medicine from the Walgreens less than a mile away. When my companion went to use the complimentary acuras, he was told that no one "wanted" to do that at the moment. This is an amenity that they advertise. In fact, we had used the service earlier in the day to go to a breakfast restaurant. It didn't make sense. My companion, sensing my need for the antihistamine proceeded to walk, in May, close to 2 miles round trip in the desert heat. No good. Boo on the W for that one.

All in all it was exactly what is to be expected from this brand of hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank KM H
alyskie, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2010

Well hello there DiamondSoles!

Thank you for sharing your W Scottsdale experience! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the Bliss amenities provided within!

The Acura Experience provides complimentary transportation to our guests based on availability from 7am until 7pm. We apologize if this service was not provided to you as it is a key component of our Whatever/Whenever philosophy! We will be sure to share your feedback with our team to ensure that this does not occur again!

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again soon!

Warmest Wishes.
Alyssa Kiefer, W Scottsdale

Reviewed June 3, 2010

The room, service, and amenities were phenomenal. We went to the pool all day. It was quite the scene with the DJ and people. Yet the rooms were very quiet and cozy.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, near other bars, restaurants, and the mall. You could practically walk anywhere in Old Town Scottsdale.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank esalnas
alyskie, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2010

Well hello there esalnas!

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your wonderful W Scottsdale experience!

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed soaking up the sun at WET along with your room and the service our talent provided!

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Warmest Wishes.