“Vegas style in the desert!”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Vancouver, Canada
“Vegas style in the desert!”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I'm a frequent traveler to Vegas... like 54 times. When my buddy DB told me that he knows of a hotel that was very comparable to a Vegas style type of pool and nightlife. I said... bring it on!

When I arrived... they upgraded me to a “Spa Suite” for no extra charge.... and when I stepped into the room... I was “Wow, This is what I’m talking about!” I’ve been 4 W Hotels and the 3 other ones can’t hold a candle to size of the room and great service downstairs.

The pool was a great way to relax and meet new people... and then at night... the pool becomes into a crazy lounge to party at! And the best thing about it.... it’s way less than Vegas bottle service and with the same type of excitement.

Would I go again.... Heck Yah

Keep up the great service!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Goodfela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Chicago
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Great hotel in a great location! The staff were extremely helpful. The W bed is probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. The Bliss bath products are a treat! Best part is there is a Sprinkles Cupcake Shop shot right down the street. I highly recommend going there for a little dessert.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelinlightyears
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Stayed at several W hotels overs the years and ended up in town for one of the Cubs games and a few rounds of golf. Service here was a lot better than most of the other hotels in the chain. The front desk and bellmen were very friendly and made some good recommendations for places to eat and have a few beers. The pool was good but they wanted us to change to go up there at night. No biggie as after looking around i could understand as everyone was dressed up. Overall it was a fun time and i will be back again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zambranofan
los angeles, ca
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Stayed here for spring training on starwood points.

The overall atmosphere is typical W. We are platinum and should get upgraded, but we were not, it's entirely possible they were sold out.

The hotel was filled with a lot of very drunk people, which was entertaining to watch. It was impossible to get a lounge near the pool, and the pool is not very large-- it is really all about the pool scene.

The closet is tiny and the room layout maximizes the available space, but after more than 3 nights I'd feel like the rooms were too small. There's basically no privacy in the bathroom, the door to the compartment with the toilet is frosted glass as is the shower enclosure. It was tolerable for me and my husband, but if I had been with a casual friend or set of friends, it would have been a nightmare for me.

There's a free parking lot behind the hotel. And it is in a good location to participate in Scottsdale nightlife.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M_in_Cali
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 30, 2010

First of all, the hotels location is...... well you can't be in a better location period. The service was fabulous, the pool....fabulous, the rooms pretty nice but not spacious by any means. We were able to successfully use the Acura experience during the day for the most part and at night we walked right across the street to the clubs or went upstairs to the poolside bar. Very chic. They only negative experience I had was breakfast. No need to even bother going there. Walk right around the corner to the Breakfast Club and you will be more than satsified. Definitely would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cubby828
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 29, 2010

After reading so many negative reviews, I should have been forewarned. Honestly, I wrote off the criticism as a mismatch between the jaded guest and the hotel's target market. For example I could understand a business traveler's concern about the noise. I believe I fall pretty squarely into the general demographics: successful 30-something ASU grad looking to crash somewhere after a bachelor party. Much of my troubles were my fault, but I'll try to be objective and let you decide if the hotel should've handled things differently.

My travel companion checked into the room while I was in transit. We met that night at a bar so I did not have a room key or even know the room #. No big deal, we would return to the room at the same time when the bars closed and walk up together. Well, we got separated and he went to the room a few minutes before I did. Although I split the cost of the $400/night room, my name was not on the room and I did not have a key (a key is required to get the elevator to go up).

My friend did not pick up the phone when we called his room so I was stuck in the lobby. I pleaded with staff for 45 minutes while repeatedly dialing my friend's cell phone. The person at the desk treated me like some kind of vagrant and refused to do anything to help me. I ended up leaving the hotel and staying elsewhere. I understand the hotel's dilemma as they owe their guests a certain level of security, but there were a million better ways to handle this issue. Feel free to let me know your thoughts. If you think I'm an idiot, I can't totally disagree...I hope you at least get a laugh out of this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank GrumpyGus25
Colorado
Reviewed March 28, 2010

While the hotel is sleek and modern and beautiful I get turned off by hotels that nickle and dime you with things that other hotels give you for free. Here it was $26 for valet parking and when I asked about free parking they told me it was 3 blocks away so I went with valet. No free breakfast, it was $10 for 2 small muffins and a hot tea. Also, no coffee maker in the room (but there is an i-pod charger). In room internet is also an extra charge.
Another thing that was annoying was that you needed your room key to work the elevator all the time, up and down.
The pool area was lovely and when we were there on a weekday there were plenty of open seats.
Ate at Sushi place in hotel and it was very good but expensive.
Workout facility also was nice.
The bathroom in the room was kind of weird and would have been nicer if it was more private.

• Stayed March 2010