“Terrible Service!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
boulder
“Terrible Service!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

I was here for three nights in May for a little relaxation with a friend. We spent most of our time by the pool, and the staff out there was terrible. Half the time we couldn't find someone to get us a drink, and the other half of the time, they got it wrong when we did order! Bringing us the wrong drink or wrong amount of drinks was par for the course. Plus the pool food was very expensive for what you got - the cheese plate is dry cheese with old fruit. Would absolutely not stay here again! I'm willing to pay for a nice hotel, but this wasn't what I was expecting!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hazeljla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

Stayed here for one night only after we flew in from Maryland. Got an awesome upgrade to a Cool Corner Suite - being an SPG gold member has its benefits!! The room was ridiculous!!! It was completely W style, very modern. We had floor to ceiling widows and a balcony that overlooked the pool. Even though it was a Wednesday night the scene down at the pool was in full swing. We were extremely tired from our flight so we just ordered room service ( which promptly arrived within 25 minutes as promised) and sat on our balcony to enjoy it. As we went to bed, the music from the pool was loud and I thought it would impede my ability to fall asleep but it didn't. The bathroom was huge - very open so it wouldn't be ideal for sharing it with someone you don't want to. Overall, we loved it and can't wait to come back. Next time we'll definately stay longer and enjoy the pool - the cabanas looked like fun!!

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

Just came back from 2 nights at the W. First of all, kudos to the concierge who was able to book us a tour of the Grand Canyon leaving at 7am Saturday morning when I asked at 10pm.

The hotel is pure W - modern, hip, fun. This is not your standard hotel - you need to be open to things being done a bit differently if you're going to enjoy this place. First of all, the room looks more like a bedroom than a hotel room. The desk is attached to the head of the bed and there's not a ton of space to move around in the rest of the room (small complaint here, the bed is not as comfortable as other W hotels I have stayed in...and I liked those so much that I ended up buying the W bed). There's also no real seperation between bedroom and bathroom area (toilet area and shower areas are enclosed, but sink and vanity area are not -- although there's a sliding door you can use if you want).

Then there's the rest of the place. We had dinner at Sushi Roku - excellent food, nice ambiance and then went up for some drinks to the pool area. At first, I really disliked this pool/lounge scene - it felt very hyped up, very LA, MTV (as someone else mentioned below). In a short-sleeved, above-knee-length dress, I kind of felt like I was dressed waaayy too conservatively. But I warmed to the place after we sat down in one of the poolside cabanas and just watched the crowd.

The next day, the pool was just as much of a scene. Word to the wise, not a good idea to drink several sangrias (good as they are here) in 107 degree heat.

I highly recommend the Grand Canyon tour that the hotel arranged (the tour operator is called Detours) - at $140/person, it's not cheap. But it's a nice van ride (10 people max) up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. We didn't plan on the helicopter ride but ended up going for it. My advice would be to take the cheaper heli ride - we took the more expensive one and felt that we would have been fine with the other one (the best part is flying over the rim, when the groud suddenly drops out from under you).

Anyway, the W is a lot of fun if you're up to it. If you're looking for a more relaxing experience and don't want to be around a lot of party types, this probably isn't for you.

2 Thank Sunny77777
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

This was a wonderful place to stay! We loved it!! It is ultra modern, so if you weren't into modern and trendy, this wouldn't be the place to stay. But we like modern/trendy. It is extremely clean. The service is beyond fabulous. We were checking out and I mentioned to my husband that I needed to get a bottle of water - the front desk woman that was helping us radioed someone and within seconds a man walked up with two water bottles for us.

The pool area is great with very comfortable lounge chairs (see photos) and a sandy area. The only complaint that I had was that the water was too cold in the pool. But I am a wimp for cold water. I could only get in once.

We had a wonderful time and would definitely stay here again!

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

Ok, so here is the deal with the W Scottsdale, I travel alot. My wife and I usually stay in higher end places that offer great nightlife and a trendy atmosphere. The W Scottsdale is just that. If you are the type of person that complains about prices, dont go! If you dont like the 25-35 crowd, dont go! If you dont like noise, dont go! But the W offers exaclty what I wanted, a cool trendy place that we could have drinks by the pool during the day and have a nightclub experience at night. This is not a hotel for older people or children. It is for good looking young people with money. Its as simple as that. If you dont't fit that demographic then you should try one of the other scottsdale resorts. I live in Phoenix but still go to the resorts on the weekends to party, this hotel is made for that. As far as people saying bad things about the service, they are crazy. The service at the W is great, for example, I left some clothes at the fron desk when I checked in. I noticed this some timer later, when I called down to ask them if my clothes were still there they said they would look and call me back. They did not find my clothes there because I left them in my car, without even calling me back, they went to my car found my clothes and brought them to me. Great service. This is a great hotel for a certain type of traveler, so if you fit the mold, then you will have a great time!

1 Thank Stewsliketotravel
louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed 2 nights. I'll start with the cons first. $23 a day parking (made me reluctant to tip valets). No tub in standard room only a shower. Mattress not the most comfortable. Standard view less than desireable, mostly parking garages and streets below. A better view can be upgraded for a fee. No hot tubs at pool area. Pricey. Now for the pros. New. Why should I pay the same for a refurbed hotel? Location second to none. One block from trolley cars (free) and newest malls. Room on the sixth floor very quite. Exceptionally friendly desk clerks and valets. Super clean rooms and facilities. Neat pool. I would be nervous with small children being for the fact that it is on the second floor with a hand rail up to the waist, much like a cruise ship I suppose. I might would stay there again, then again might look around. Overall not bad and new.

Laguna Hills, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

We were so impressed with the ambiance, amenities and design of Scottsdale's latest hot spot... but the hotel employees ruined it all. The customer service we received was nothing short of horrible... truly horrible. From the valet/bellman who expected us to transport our own bags upon arrival (we self-parked so apparently porterage service isn't available unless you register your car at the hotel), to the front desk who argued with us over the room type we reserved, to the concierge who informed us that the hotel does not have a supply of rollaway beds and that they must borrow them from other nearby hotels. Overall, the W Scottsdale staff treated us as if they were being inconvenienced by our presence. They acted as if they were doing us an undeserved favor by offering us any service at all. We were not made to feel welcome and our business was not appreciated in the slightest; with all of the other fun and trendy hotels in downtown Scottsdale we will take care to make a better selection for our next visit.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends