“Extortion at the W”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Amarillo
Reviewed January 3, 2009

This is a beautiful hotel when you first arrive. The staff is helpful and friendly and everything is new. Do not allow them to book you in a room on the east or south side of the hotel unless you are a very early riser. Due to very poor engineering of the window treatment, every room on these sides get a blast of sunshine around 6:00 A.M.. To add more insult, the swank glass shower with window becomes a magnifying glass and radiates right onto the bed. If you are an early riser this might appeal. The staff is quite aware of this situation but will only offer a kind apology. When we were there, the 2nd floor pool was leaking into the reception driveway. If looking for rest, you need to find another hotel especially at the luxury rates. This hotel does not qualify as a luxury place.

• Liked — New and swank
  • Disliked — Inability to darken the room in the A.M.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed January 1, 2009

I visit the Phoenix/Scottsdale area on business a couple of times a year and being a loyal Starwood Preferred member, end up stayng staying in their hotels. This time around, I decided to try out the newly opened W.

Like most W hotels, this one is funky. I stayed in a "spectacular" room, which was nicely furnished with a flat screen TV, an iPod charging station and a good sized closet. The size of the room is a tad smaller than other hotels in the area. The layout of the bathroom is different from what one is used to. They have separated out the shower and the toilet with different entrances, and put the sink right in the middle. So from your bed, you can see the sink and the glass doors of the toilet and the bathroom.

The hotel seemed fairly empty, but that may just be a function of its newness. Staff is helpful, and they offer a complimentary check in function for your lights out of Phoenix, which is cool.

What bugged me was the lighting. It really was dark in the hallways, and kind of scary if you are walking alone. I know W tries to keep things hep with mood lighting and piped music, but would it hurt to at least light up the hallways and elevator banks? Another complaint was the $25 valet parking per night. No cheaper self parking option is available, and sometimes they may take a good 10 to 15 minutes to retrieve your car.

There is a Japanese restaurant on property, and the food was neither great nor overpriced. The mall nearby is within walking distance and has more dining choices.

Overall, I felt that if one has to stay in a Starwood property in the area, this place lacks the class of the Westin Kierland or the Phoenician, and does not offer the value for money that the Sheraton Desert Oasis offers.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank FrmNJ
phoenix
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I stayed at the W on Sat. Dec 13th as a birthday treat to myself. In general, the staff was pleasant. There were two blaring issues that took away from the luxury experience I was expecting to have.

1) Upon my arrival, my boyfriend dropped me off near the front door. One man approached the car to valet park it. When we said I was just getting dropped off to check in, the valet walked away. My arms were full yet as I approached the front entrance to the hotel there were two men (?valets or bell hops) who were chatting with each other and neither opened the door for me. There were no other guests around yet I had to awkwardly open the heavy front door for myself with my arms full.

2) The more concerning issue I had with my stay was that it was clear to me that the floor of my hotel room was not cleaned. The tile in the bathroom had particles of what looked like chocolate scattered over it (I could clean them easily with kleenex). I found a shirt from the previous guest in plain sight on the floor behind the sitting chair near the window. I'm not sure if the floors are routinely vaccumed after a stay but this was evidence that the carpet were definitely not vaccumed this time. Honestly, I'm not a complainer and I just wanted to get out to enjoy the last few hours of the day's sunlight poolside so that is why I didn't notify the front desk about my concerns about the cleanliness of the room.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank montiong
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Since the W Scottsdale went live a couple months back, the hotel has become one of the most bold additions to W Hotels. With every turn of my head, I found something new begging my curiosity. Let’s start with the living room, which was seductively lit and speckled with design-heavy chairs and couches arranged to facilitate close conversation. Each section of seating had its own unique styles and fabrics. Upon entering the public washrooms, a communal block of sinks broke the divide between the sexes and forced opportunistic co-mingling . . . and that’s just the beginning of the cool factor.

The W Scottsdale website refers to the hotel as a “magical oasis” that features stunning views of the desert landscape. I can’t say I saw much desert (more like construction and land development across the street), but perhaps it was because my eyes were fixated on the rooftop pool located on the second floor. At the bottom of the tank are multiple portholes that measure 5-feet in diameter and shoot through to the ceiling of the valet driveway. Diving down to make faces at the doormen below, I was surprised to hear the thumping of W music playing from the underwater speaker system. Even the bass sounded good. I should also point out that the pool is heated in the winter, and chilled (yes chilled) in the summer.

The surrounding outskirts of the pool were neatly littered with lounge chairs and outlined by steel framed cabanas. More than just relief from the desert sun, the cabanas have built-in LCD flat screens, speakers, and the coolest ceiling fans you’ll ever see. There’s even a corner of the rooftop with sand for you to sink your toes into while the bartender crushes up a Vitamin W signature cocktail.

As for the guestrooms, the one I had the privilege of checking out happened to be a studio suite that wow’d me with a plush microfiber sectional couch and Bose surround sound equipment to go along with the 37″ LCD flat screen and DVD player. I was also surprised to see a computer parked on the desk as a standard amenity in the suite.

First look photos of the new W Scottsdale hotel - [---]

• Liked — The design and the cool factor
  • Disliked — The construction across the street
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank wangderlust
CA
Reviewed December 3, 2008

Don't bother, way overrated. Words aren't even deserving for this crappy imitation of a resort/hotel. Go to the Sanctuary or the JW Marriott at Camelback.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mishottie