“W Scottsdale”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I came into W Scottsdale at the end of a 12 city trip with an intense mix of business and pleasure. Having never really stayed outside of the airport in Phoenix, and never worked in the area, this brief trip in the area was full of firsts for me. Being an extremely loyal SPG Platinum member and big W brand fan, I made sure to book this hotel. The hotel lived up to the quality both SPG and the W brand have delivered at oter properties that I have stayed at. Valet and check-in were a breeze, and upon check in I was happy to find out that I was upgraded to room 232- an extraordinary spa suite with pool level access directly from my patio! The pool area was fabulous- delicious drinks and attentive staff, not to mention gorgeous residents scattered around on the pool chairs. At night, the bar area was vibrant, and instead of going out I decided to stay close and eat at the attached Sushi Roku. The sushi was fabulous and the price was better than expected. The front desk very graciously handled some business tasks that I had before check out, with perfect advice and direction. Before turning in the night before my flight, that sap tub in my suite was put to use- it made a 5 hour flight the next day less brutal. I completely enjoyed my stay here at W Scottsdale and highly recommend this location- I would think it certainly outshines other choices in the area!

Room Tip: Ask for the spa suite, or just book it directly- it is well worth it. Amazing square footage and to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HotSpotJ

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Hotel is very trendy. The accommodations were very nice, although not a lot of drawer space. I was attending a conference, and I must say they did a fabulous job of taking care of me especially since I have a few food allergies.
The only down side is the pool, during the day it is lovely, but in the evening it turns into a very trendy nightclub. The hotel lobby becomes the bouncer area for waiting club goers, making it a bit difficult to get back in and up to your room. This didn't annoy us the hotel accommodated us, the noise level wasn't disturbing based on where our room was located, but I didn't go out of my way to visit the pool in the evening, although it would have been nice to enjoy a quiet drink up there.

Room Tip: Great location central to everything. We took a fabulous walk up to Camelback, I ran the canal in t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I recently stayed here for work. The W Scottsdale is a nice hotel in a great are. There are many, many restaurants to choose from. And, there's a rather large mall nearby, within walking distance. The staff is very friendly. The hotel is very clean. The room layout, in my opinion, leaves much to be desired, however. The bed does not face the door. I know this seems insignificant, but it is a bit odd. The room is also very small. The sink is in the middle in between the shower and the bathroom stall in an open area. I, personally, did not love the room, hence the average rating.

I would stay again simply based on location and staff only.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank hopeful74
Alexa W, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Hello,

Our location is great for enjoying everything Scottsdale has to offer. We are in the heart of the Entertainment District and within walking to distance to many restaurant and shopping options. If you need any recommendations, please reach out to our Insider Rachael. She would be more than happy to set up a few reservations for you. The floating bed and open floor plan is unique from other hotels. Most our guests love the design, but we recognize that it isn't for everyone.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Cheers,
Alexa

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We are in our late 50s and recently stayed at the W in Scottsdale. It is in a good location, the staff are friendly and the bathroom amenities are excellent - Bliss products from the Bliss spa within the hotel. I probably would not stay there again for several reasons: I didn't like the room, too modern, platform type bed sleeping with back to door. It may sound odd but the logistics of the room put me off and I didn't sleep well on the platform bed. The pool which we would like to have visited was full of loud young party crowd so no quiet lounging there. If you are under 35 you may very well like this hotel a lot. Unfortunately it wasn't for us hence the lower rating.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a quiet room. We did and must admit didn't hear any of the partying going...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello,

It's true that we aren't for everyone, but we do try to make all of our guests as comfortable as possible. If you are looking for a more relaxing stay we recommend one of our nearby sister hotels. They all have wonderful pools and spas. We are a little more quiet during mid-week if you are wanting to lounge poolside.

Best,
Alexa

Reviewed April 30, 2014

This hotel is located right in the middle of the action in Scottsdale and is a great place to stay for young adults (I would not really recommend it for families). During the day, the pool area is filled with people and you can rent a cabana for the day to enjoy food and drinks. At the night, the lobby and upstairs pool turn into a lounge and are a great place to hang out. The on site Japanese restaurant has some really good food, and some really cheap prices during happy hour!!

Our suite was spacious and had a modern look. Not sure if I am a huge fan of the open bathroom lay out but it looks really nice! The bed was comfortable. We had a mix up at the outset in respect of our room, and after some prodding, the hotel made things right.

The hotel is not cheap to stay at. But if you are looking for a nice stay right in the heart of things, I would recommend the W.

Room Tip: You can get a room on the same level of the pool so that you can literally step out into the pool ar...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ToucanSm
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this W hotel this past week. Like most W's they are catering to the 20-30's hipster set. I was there Thursday and Friday and both nights the pool and lobby bar were hopping and fun. I felt a bit old with all these young hipsters, but it was good people watching.

Now to the rooms. The room I had was 1) not inexpensive. 2) rather small. 3) a studio apartment like set up. I felt like I was back in my first apartment. I guess what got me was the layout and the fact that the sink was right in the room. The room felt small and I can not imagine if there were two people in there how crowded it would feel.
The whole set up does not work for the space.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Alexa W, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Hi Zander,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us! Our typical weekend guest is here for the lively atmosphere, but during the weekend we host a lot of corporate travelers. We dial it back during the week with acoustic performances in the Living Room, and turn it back up on the weekend with live DJ sets at WET. Our room size is in line with our sister W Hotels, but we change it up with our unique decor. The floating bed and open floor plan keeps it light. We have a few different room types to offer. Let us know what you're looking for and we'd be happy to accommodate.

Best,
Alexa W.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Loved the room and decor. Hotel staff was beyond friendly. Unfortunately I was there for work so I didn't have time to hit the pool and enjoy the bar area which was nice and lively. Definitely a great place to stay for a fun week. Only negative was the toilet paper was awful! Literally it was like sandpaper. I actually went to Walgreens and bought TP as my day 2 i could take it anymore. So if staying I recommend bring some baby wipes.

Room Tip: if you are there for business ask to stay on the quiet side. It was great. Other areas in the hotel...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Hi there!

You'll have to come back for a more leisurely stay! WET and The Living Room are great on the weekends with live DJ sets and performances. Plus, you can treat yourself to a spa day at Bliss. Their massages and facials are life changing!

See you soon,