“Best Girls trip getaway :-)”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Los Angeles
“Best Girls trip getaway :-)”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed here last weekend in June for Girls trip getaway from LA and WE LOVED IT.....Yes, I am a huge fan of W chain and this was my first visit to the Scottsdale W. So far I never had bad experience staying at ANY W chains. Keep up the good work :-)

First and most such a great service from the minute we stepped into the lobby until we checked out. We asked for room away from the pool since we knew it could get loud and they offered us a corner quiet room. Room was gorgeous and super clean.

Yes this hotel gets lots of Weekend party crowd such as us :-)....We chilled by the pool all day listening to great music by in house DJ while great servers attending to everyone's need. It does get pack on weekends but the crowd didn't bother me at all.

I also loved the location....it is located less than 2 blocks from the Mall and many great restaurants and bars near river front. It is also located directly next to many clubs and lounges makes it easy to go out without having to worry about driving or taxi service.

We are already planning another trip back to this amazing hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2013

As soon as I arrived I knew it would be a great trip. The property itself is absolutely beautiful and I mentioned to the desk agent it was my birthday and she told me she would see what she could do since we had to wait a little for our room to be ready since we were early for check-in. While we were working out (gym is the only thing that leaves a bit to be desired, but it has a view of the pool and all the beautiful people :)

Sarah (our desk agent) came with our room keys and told us to tell her what we thought. She upgraded us and gave us an AMAZING room on the 3rd floor with an awesome view of the pool. The concierge was great as well; they set up dinner for us at Mastros City Hall and I got a wonderful birthday cake as a surprise (definitely from the hotel since none of my friends ordered it!)

The pool scene is really good on the weekend and if you are into day/night parties the W is in walking distance to all of the hot spots in Scottsdale.

It should be a no brainer when choosing where to stay in Scottsdale.

In conclusion, why you should stay at W Scottsdale
1. Entire staff is super friendly & attentive
2. Prime location; walking distance to restaurants & nightlife. No more than a 5 minute drive and you can use the complimentary Acura ride until 8PM
3. Beautiful property (watch the sunset by the pool)
4. Great pool scene full of BEAUTIFUL people! Reserve a cabana for sure...oh yea the pool is 24 hrs!
5. If it's your birthday, you might end up with a wonderful surprise like me!

Tempe, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Had such a great time last year at this hotel that hubby and I returned to celebrate again. The rooms were great as usual. We had breakfast and lunch at the restaurant and both meals were good too.

The hotel staff were beyond attentive. Champagne and strawberries were waiting in the room for us with a nice note from Jessica. Dawn the bar manager not only made sure we had a table at the Living Room but she also showed up with my favorite bottle of wine -- on the house!! She had great recommendations for area restaurants and made reservations.

Another example: i like to read in bed and couldn't find any lights to read by. Jilly was at the front desk when I asked about it. Later that day, I found one of those reading lights in the room with a note from Jilly. Totally unexpected and delighted!

Just a few of the many examples of how I was spoiled rotten the entire weekend. This is a tradition for sure!

Room Tip: Summer weekends are crowded both day and night with the party folks so if you have a balcony by the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexa W, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Hi,

We are happy to welcome you back! I am so glad we are able to celebrate your anniversary with you. I hope you and your husband enjoyed the strawberries and champagne in your room. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Dawn, Jessica and Jilly. Each of them will be so glad to have made your stay. We all look forward to seeing you for your next anniversary.

Best wishes,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed there in late June. Hallways were a mess throughout the day. At midnight, there was still trays of roomservice from the morning throughout the hallways and a random bar fridge outside of my room. Looked like it was being repaired, but just left there.

Arizona is sunny, so they also need to do a better job of blackout curtains! I had to rig something up to block out the sun in the frosted window that is in the shower.

As for WIFI, I travel a lot and need access for work. Trying to post WIFI reviews when I remember to help out other business travellers. Please do so also. Here are the highlights:

Costs - $10/day - this is crazy in this day and age. WIFI is like electricity, we shouldn't have a separate charge for it anymore, especially at higher-end hotels. It is free in the lobby, but the lobby is a real busy place with a lobby bar usually quite busy and with load music.

Quality - worked okay most days, but last day I couldn't connect iphone, computer or anything. Told to call IT dept to troubleshoot....sure, I will get right on that. Wasn't doing much besides email, so can't speak to speed quality. Friend has a suite that has a desktop computer provided. For the cost, you would think WIFI would be included rather than having to trust using their desktop. Desktop connection struggled to handled YouTube video.

Speed stats (lobby) - Ping 53ms; Download 7.78Mbps; Upload 4.53Mbps

Room Tip: Some of the suites are a massive walk away from the elevator bank. Make sure the room is configured...
Woodstock, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This review has very little to do with the "weekend party crowd" we were warned about via email before our stay. I appreciate the hotel's efforts to let their weekend guest understand that the hotel is a local nightlife hotspot on the weekends. That's fine, we opted to stay one night there anyway due to the location. That part just added to the unpleasantness of our visit.

What we weren't warned about was the awful room. Small and in W Hotels usual efforts to be " we're so cool and different" the bed is placed in the middle of the room and the bathroom isn't really a bathroom, it's a sink out in the open, a toilet in a glass closet, and an odd shower that reminded me of my college dorm days. No room, no privacy, no thanks. A hotel with too many loud drunks in the hall should not opt away from standard hotel bathroom placement up against the hall wall area. Your head is pretty much by your room door and even sober conversations would be too intrusive.

Seriously, even if you're staying on business during the week this would be an awful choice. I would give it only one star but the staff was perfectly nice and attentive. We were warned, we should've stayed away. Oh we'll.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexa W, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. Many of our guests enjoy the décor of our guest rooms so I am sorry to hear that you did not. As you mentioned, we do try to let our guests know prior to their arrival of the atmosphere in the hotel. We are in a very lively part of Scottsdale and often have guests returning late on the weekends after enjoying a night out.

We do have many business travelers who enjoy staying here during the week. We offer live music every Wednesday in the Living Room and have many of our guests come down and enjoy a cocktail and the performance. However, our atmosphere is very different during the week to the weekend.

All the best,
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 25, 2013

A group of us girls had the pleasure to stay at the W Hotel Scottsdale for a bachelorette party over the weekend. the service was like no other and we felt like royalty the whole time we were there. we were welcomed with open arms and were helped with our bags, help was offered to decorate our rooms for the bride to be and follow up was done to make sure we were all enjoying our stay. The pool scene was a blast along with the nightlife at the W and the surrounding areas. We will most definitely be back to enjoy such a great experience. Thank you to the great staff for giving us a GREAT time and a memorable trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Alexa W, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hello,

I am so glad to hear that you had such an incredible stay with us during such a special occasion. I will be glad to pass along your compliments to everyone here. I hope the bachelorette enjoyed your decorations. WET is always a good time with great cocktails and amazing DJ sets being played every weekend. We are also located in the heart of Old Town making us an ideal choice for experiencing the surrounding nightlife. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next girl’s trip.

All the best,
Chicago
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This place brings a Vegas feel to the Valley, filling a fun void for fun getaway seekers. Amenities were top notch, reminded us of Aria a bit. Certainly not for everyone and can be pricier than other options, but if you want a fun option near bars/clubs/Old Town Scottsdale - this is your spot.

Net - we would come back but not if we wanted rest and relaxation!

Also, the General Manager is very involved and available to address any questions/concerns you might have!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, make sure you get a room that isnt directly above the pool!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexa W, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I am glad to see that you had a fun stay with us. We provide an upscale feel in the heart of Old Town and are great for those looking to explore what Scottsdale has to offer. We have Bliss Spa on property which is the perfect way to pamper yourself and unwind. If you are looking for something a little more lively, the WET deck is the perfect place to go for a great cocktail and some sun. I look forward to welcoming you back for your next escape.

Best wishes,