“Decent hotel: pros & contras”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at the W hotel for just one night. Being a SPG platinum member, I am familiar with the W branch. The hotel is a pretty typical W hotel, so you know what to expect : young crowd, loud music everywhere, trendy décor.

I list here the pros and contras of the hotel :

PROS :
-Location : right in the center of Scottsdale for people who like to shop and eat out
-Staff : very kind and no attitude at all (as stated by other reviewers)
-Rooms : decently sized, good amenities, terrific bed
-Sushi restaurant at the ground floor : really liked the food.
-Pool area is nicely layed out

CONTRAS :
-Location : somehow, I had expected that the W hotel would be located walking distance from the Sonora desert surrounding Scottsdale, but this is not the case (for that reason alone, I preferred the Four Seasons over the W hotel)
-The hotel was full when I was there and the pool area was too cramp as a consequence. There were not enough sun loungers for everyone.
-It truly is a hotel for the partying twinty- and thirtysomethings jetset. If you do not belong to them, you will feel (slightly) out of place.
-There is no small corridor between the entrance of the room and the main room. So every noise in the main corridor of your floor will be heard very well (and because of the young, partying crowd, this means an often interrupted night rest)
-Price of the spa is very expensive and made me decide not to take a treatment. The moment a spa ask more for a massage then at the Maldives, then something is wrong. I am sure that they would more revenue if they would lower their price, or offer promotions

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Morgan K, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay in Scottsdale. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit. Though we are not located right next to the Sonora Desert, we consider ourselves an oasis in the “Scottsdale Desert”. A place to take a quick dip and enjoy a cool cocktail, especially during the warmer months. Though these times can get a bit crowded, we do our best to accommodate all of our guests to make their stay more enjoyable.

We do hope you return to Scottsdale soon so we can make sure your stay is more pleasant than the last.

There are newer reviews for W Scottsdale

Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you're going for Giants Spring Training and like to do a pool party after the game, you can't go wrong with the W. Good scene for Scottsdale, I expected a nice time and the hotel didn't disappoint. Nightlife has the athlete set and gold diggers, which is pretty funny to watch.

Great staff, they're good at catering to guests.

Room Tip: If you need doubles, you need to get a guarantee way ahead. They don't have a ton of rooms, espe...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Morgan K, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your stay. I am delighted to see you enjoyed yourself.
Spring training is my favorite time of year, specially here in Scottsdale! Is it safe to say we will see you next year as well, if not sooner?!
Until then!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the W Hotel in Scottsdale for a business meeting. The hotel was just average. The rooms are extremely small. Many have the bed in the middle of the room and have very limited storage space. The bathroom provides very little if any quiet space as it is open to the bedroom. There are sliding panels that close off the bathroom, but because i need to rise earlier for my meeting, my wife was unable to sleep due to the fact all the noise in the bathroom flowed into the room. If you like a funky room, then you will love this hotel. I prefer more space and the ability to take a shower without causing noise in the room.

The common hall ways are extremely dark. At one point have just returned from the pool deck, my eyes could not see a dirty linen cart, so i almost ran right into it. Need better lighting in the hallways.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, be sure to ask for a room that is far from the pool deck, as you will hear...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Was there for a weekend with my girlfriend. Hotel staff was very nice. Great lobby bar and pool bar. Definitely for the younger crowd. Would definitely go back! To to the middle of the valet stand and look up through the window into the pool! Great concept

Room Tip: If you get a pool view room t can get noisy from the bar being open late at night.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Morgan K, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you, I am glad that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay! The view from the porte cochere up through the pool is one of my favorite designs!
We hope to see you again soon. Let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable during your next visit!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel has a great location. 1 block from the Scottsdale Fashion Mall. Very high end. Hotel is very modern and architectual. The staff members are some of the best I have encountered. Very friendly and accommodating. Great hotel for the young, wealth urban traveller, who like to party on the weekends. But great for the business traveller during the week. Not recommended for families with children.

Room Tip: If you want quiet on the weekends ask for a room away from the pool area. The staff was so friendly...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Morgan K, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for the awesome review!
I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay in Scottsdale. We accommodate all sorts of travelers out there from business travelers, leisure and families, to our furry friends, all are welcome. We would not be able to do this without our wonderful Talent! I will be sure to pass your compliments along to them.
We hope to see you back sooner than later!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Good service, it's ok. The rooms are small and the bed is in the middle of the room which is so weird. Was there on business. It's clean is the only positive. Otherwise, it tries too hard to be ultra trendy yet lacking quality. It felt like being in Ikea. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank worldtravelergirl29

Thank you for taking some time to write a review. I am surprised to read that you did not enjoy our design, it is by far the largest compliment we receive here.
We just launched six new VIP Suites that might be more your style. They offer up to 2,000 square feet of space and even include a washer and dryer! I do hope you are able to check them out during your next visit to Scottsdale!

Sincerely.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

This place is FANTASTIC! All staff was so accommodating and friendly, one even sat with us at the pool for a few minutes to discuss the best local shopping (Thank you by the way - replaced my whole wardrobe!). They really kept their cool when the pool was packed with only a couple servers, they still took time to chat with everyone which was really refreshing. Even though the hotel was sold out for spring training the atmosphere was so relaxed and very trendy. Totally my style! The rooms were really modern and exceptionally clean, love the Bliss Spa products in the room too. Beds were so comfy, a better sleep than I have at home!

We ate at hotel restaurant, Shusi Roku, one night and had great service there as well, the manager was working and suggested a few things for us to try which were all amazing. Coming from an island on the west coast, home of many sushi spots, I was very impressed!

The hotel is in the ideal location, walking distance to great local shops and restauarants as well as Scotdsdale Fashion Quarter - best shopping I've done in a while! Only a 20-ish minute drive to lots of other great shopping too.

This W made me want to come back to Scotsdale and see more, so I will definitely be back soon - save me a room!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for writing about your trip to Scottsdale!
It sounds like you had a blast during your stay here. Shopping, spring training, eating, and sun, what else could you ask for?!
Be sure to let us know if we can make your next visit even more enjoyable.
Your room awaits you!