“Halley Ross and Lara Jacobs make the W in Scottsdale a must visit”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Ottawa, Canada
“Halley Ross and Lara Jacobs make the W in Scottsdale a must visit”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

awesome awesome awesome!!!!!!! - plain and simple. I have stayed at almost every W hotel in North America and the W in Scottsdale is hands down my favorite. The hotel is great and the bars and pool are incredible and happening day and night. What sets the W hotel in Scottsdale apart from every hotel and resort I have ever stayed at is Halley Ross (VIP hostess) and Lara Jacobs (W insider). Their professionalism and commitment to ensuring you are well taken care of is unmatched. I stayed for 5 nights and have countless examples of big, and more importantly, little things they did for me, my colleagues and my clients. I will be returning for sure due to the treatment and hospitality I received from Halley and Lara. I have never had service at this level. I would encourage anyone who is considering staying at the W or visiting Scottsdale to reach out to Halley or Lara and let them take your trip to the next level. They are both incredibly thoughtful and committed to exceeding expectations - I was blown away.

Room Tip: The room i had was small yet efficiently set up, very clean and the W beds are SO comfortanle
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 17, 2011

The hotel was a great place to stay for a week of Golf. The hotel was phenomenal especially the pool deck and the lounge in the main lobby. The rooms were comfortable and very stylish. The service was first rate and everyone was accommodating to our needs. The location was perfect for restaurants and bars.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I never take the time to write a review about anything unless it's like nothing I've ever experienced before so here it goes. I've stayed at hundreds of hotels in my life, travelled all over the world and this one is in my top 2...although I can't think of one better right now...

Went down there for my 40th bday last weekend and I'd highly recommend this property - rooms are a tad small and the window in the bathroom lets light into the room a bit early, especially if you've been up to 3am the night before...if you're into that sort of thing. That's the only negative I can come up with. Now for the positive:

The service absolutely blew me away - they say "whatever, whenever" and the freaking MEAN it. Every single staff member was ready and eager (it felt like) to help us with whatever we needed. We were actually TRYING to get a no and weren't able to. Special shout out to the concierge desk there - Jillian Knott and Dawn Burger!! Freaking awesome! They need to pay you more! The VIP service there is second to none - Halley Ross was organized, responsive and extremely helpful - if you don't want to get a table at Shade for the night then Halley was quick to offer to book us in on the guest list wherever we'd like. I was extremely impressed.

They remembered that it was my birthday no matter where we went - Jillian sent up a hand-written bday note along with 8 beers chilled on ice the MOMENT we got to our rooms. We went to dinner at Saku Roku (sp?) on the 2nd night and they rolled out a really nice bday cake and sparklers...awesome touch, felt very personal.

I honestly can't say enough about the experience at this place. You don't have to leave the hotel to have a great time. The food at the sushi restaurant and in the lounge is excellent...Shade goes OFF on Friday and Sat nights...plus all of the clubs and bars are literally a block away from the front door.

One thing to note - this is NOT a hotel option for kids or for people that don't like to spice things up a little. It can get quite noisy at night and they accommodate people looking to shake it up.

In short...this place is like Disney Land for adults. So much fun, thanks to the entire staff and team at the W Scottsdale for blowing the doors off and exceeding expectations in pretty much every department. We'll be back next year.

-Steve

Room Tip: If you're not partying all night, request a room that isn't adjacent to the pool as it gets...
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Recently visited the W in Scottsdale and had an amazing time. The facilities were phenomenal especially the pool deck and the lounge in the main lobby. The rooms were comfortable and very stylish. Last but not least the service was first rate. My main girl Halley was like a personal concierge setting my friends and I up everywhere we wanted to go around town. She is my main girl there. Highly recommend this spot to all travelers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Midland, Texas
Reviewed November 7, 2011

If you like drunken 20-somethings, this is the place for you. It seems to cater to them and not the guests.
1) While there I borrowed a car for the day from a relative and when I returned to the W was informed that there was no guest parking available. The parking garage was for valet only and that due to the nearby bar scene, there was no parking on the street. The next morning I found my vehicle had been moved about 20 ft (next to the front door) and for this I
paid $25.
2)The concierge booked the free Acura service (which we enjoyed) to take us to a nearby mall and when we called for a ride back, we were informed that that mall was out of the range and that we would need to pay for a cab back.
3) We returned on a Saturday evening and found a line and a bouncer carding people just to enter the front door of the hotel.
4) My friend's iPad could not connect from our room, so we asked to use the Business Center. Unless you are printing out a boarding pass, there is a charge of $7.95 to use the internet.
5) We couldn't find a vending machine so we paid for the water bottles in the room. One day, we had not received new bottles by 1pm. I walked out of the room and there was a cart with water bottles. I started to take one (and leave a note in the room) when a male employee behind me said very gruffly, "If you want some water, you can pay for it in your room." By the way, I am not a young party girl, but a 51 year-old woman.
6) The noise of the partying, including a girl who fell drunkenly in front of our door at 3am, kept us up every night. I finally resorted to ear plugs.
7)The view from the pool is of parking lots and construction. Not very relaxing.
THE POSITIVE NOTES:
1) Bliss Spa was wonderful. It was the only part of the hotel that was light and I didn't feel that I had crawled into a cave. The staff was incredible and Cynthia gave me the most wonderful facial.
2) The driver of the Acura was very friendly and helpful.
3) The woman working in the shop downstairs was great and she had some wonderful items.
4) There was one concierge who was very helpful and kind. I don't remember her first name, but her last name was Cullen.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
alyskie, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are glad to hear that you had such a wonderful experience at Bliss Spa and are very sorry that the rest of your stay did not equally measure up. However, it seems that many of your frustrations could have been avoided with better communication on our part, for which we apologize!

1. Our valet prices and options are competitive with other downtown Scottsdale hotels. In most all metropolitan areas you will find hotels offer valet only, however we do have limited self parking available for a lesser fee, but guests typically have no problem parking for free in nearby lots or street parking. These do fill up quickly on weekend nights due to surrounding businesses.

2. Our Acura service provides guests with a complimentary ride to locations within five miles of the hotel. This is a drop off service only, but our drivers do their best to accommodate pick ups as well when they have availability. We apologize that this was not possible for you.

3. We apologize for any inconvenience when returning to the hotel. We do have a popular lounge destination and must card patrons in accordance with state liquor laws. Our Welcome Ambassadors are out front to help usher hotel guests in through a separate entrance. We are very sorry that no one was there to escort you inside ahead of the crowd.

4. Wifi in the rooms and business center are offered for a fee, but you can access wifi for free from our Living Room.

Again, we apologize for all the frustrations you experienced and hope that you might give W Scottsdale a second chance in the future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly and I will ensure that you are placed in a quiet room with a view more to your liking. Thank you, Alyssa Kiefer, alyssa.kiefer@whotels.com
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I almost don't want to write about how amazing our stay was at the W Scottsdale, for fear that we will have a hard time getting a room there in the future....or that prices will go up. But I just have to say that the hotel staff and our experience there was incredible!

The hotel is as beautiful as the pictures. The pool area is amazing. We loved the day beds, but they were a little pricey. (and the cabanas are WAY over priced) The front desk staff were beautiful and friendly. The concierge (Dawn) was stunning and incredibly helpful. Everything she recommended was top-notch! The waitresses were the prettiest I've seen in any city (and I think we travel a lot!) The girls were friendly and efficient and their little outfits (for serving in the "Living Room" or by the pool) were sexy, but classy.

If I had to find one negative, it would be that the room was a little small and there is only about 2 feet of space between the bed and the bathroom. There is a sliding "wall" or "door" to close the bathroom space off, but it certainly isn't sound proof and if one person is showering or blow drying their hair, it is not likely that the other person would be able to continue sleeping. The toilet space could be more private too, if you know what I mean.

When we got home (to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada), I realized, much to my horror, that I forgot my wallet, my phone charger and my camera battery charger (don't judge me!) in the drawer of the desk in our hotel room! I made one phonecall and spoke to Lenny, who put me thru to Nick in shipping. They not only found everything, but they had it FedExed to me inside of 2 days for a cost (to me) of only $27.00! That is what I call OUTSTANDING SERVICE!

I could go on and on about Sushi Roku too, but I'll just say the food was indrecible, you should go there and you should have the popcorn shrimp!)

If you want to try out a sexy, popular club, try Mint. It's walking distance from the club (even in stilhettos!) but ask the concierge to reserve you a table, otherwise you'll be standing all night) We went there for dinner and will stay later for some dancing...next time! ;)

We've stayed at the W in MInneapolis and now ins Scottsdale. We met a couple by the pool (in AZ) who said, no matter where they go in the world, they only stay at the W hotels...and it's easy to see why!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I had an amazing experience on this past vacation. I actually stayed in the hotel 5 nights and I have NEVER had such fantastic service. Everyone from the valet to the housekeeping staff were friendly and gracious. We used the "Whatever, Whenever" service daily and I think this is the added touch that will keep me coming back to W Hotels over any other chain. I do love the contemporary styling and the clever phrasing all over the hotel. But it's the service that makes this hotel stand out. We never waited for a thing. Needed towels, extras were brought immediately, cable was funky, repairman came out within 5 minutes. Just stellar. My previous visit to a W was in June of this year, I stayed at the W Boston. Also an amazing hotel, but the service at the Scottsdale location was absolutely incredible!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple