“Il Capo ~ Eccellente!”

Il Capo Pizzeria
Ranked #247 of 1,299 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Inspired by Barbara Yost's review in today's Arizona Republic, we rushed right over to Il Capo from my performance at Theatre Works in Peoria. What we discovered surpassed our expectations. An inviting atmosphere matched by an equally engaging wait staff, attentively overseen by its owners, Angela and Mario Rana, was augmented by a lounge bar, an open kitchen with a beautifully tiled wood-fired oven, and a chef whose head was reminiscent of Queequeg. It is a perfect setting for a relaxing meal and conversation.

The menu is superb. Our first repast (and there will likely be many more visits in the future!) included garlic (oh so much garlic!) knots; a chopped salad ~ an explosion of flavors with an awesome basil vinaigrette; the best Stromboli I've ever had, tightly packed with sausage, salami, ham, pepperoni, and mozzarella, topped with sesame seeds (my mouth waters just thinking about it!); and a delightful meatball provolone pizza.

I wished I'd had the capacity to sample other treats on the menu, including the desserts. But, that's for another time.

Highly recommended for great ambience, great service, and exceptional food all at a reasonable price!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a neighborhood place in the shopping plaza at the Harkins Shea 'theatre' -- right next to Pita Jungle (which is also a pretty good place). Il Capo has both indoor and outdoor seating. The pasta is all freshly made. The oreccheti are really quite good -- with brocollini. Watch for the few spelling errors on the menu! The arancini are also excellent. They have some unusual Arizona wines (not bad at all). We have not tried the pizza yet -- it looks like thin crust -- but the other diners in the place seem to approve very much. They have a three-mini canoli sampler with about the best filling I have ever had (they are really small -- so anyone could handle 3 of these). They have a full bar -- and Sebastian can tell you about his adventures in Italy. The service is excellent. This neighborhood could use another good Italian place -- and this is it.

1  Thank QQ1234
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I love it when I find a place accidentally that becomes the topic of my conversation s for the next week. I originally walked into this place on movie night and was amazed at what they are doing with pizza. I have been back now at least once a week and have tried sandwiches and pasta as well. I think everything is so good because it all just simply tastes great. Every good pizza place says they use San Marzano tomatoes but theirs has me cleaning the plate. The crust on the pizza has so much flavor it's like a pastry, without any toppings it would satisfy. The pasta I would recommend is the Lupara, rigatoni with sausage, mushrooms in a slightly spicy creamy cheesy pink sauce. I have always looked forward to movie night for my popcorn craving now I have to save room for my pizza cravings also.

1  Thank angelo d
Reviewed April 6, 2014

New go to spot for whatever pizza we're in the mood for. Wood fired Neapolitan pizza that is not soft centered (Diavolo amazing combo of heat and other flavors ) when we go with the extended family the N.Y. style large pizza is the best i have had since leaving N.Y. The crust is cooked perfect crispness, tomato sauce is perfectly seasoned, cheese delicious. And slices after the movie for a quick bite. They have what they call gourmet slices on display with very creative Stromboli, rolls, anything you can create with dough these real pizza men can do. They are doing some interesting things like Gelato ice cream sandwiches, takes care of the ice cream and cake cravings. Giant size chocolate cakes and apple pizza pies. They have definitely added my visits to the gym but every calorie is worth it.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

This is a great location with al fresco dining and an attractive indoor bar.

The menu is good. But the food preparation is not good. Both our dishes- lasagna and orecchiette were served cold- and dishes needed to go back.
The reviews said good service but we had to wait for everything and at 6 pm it wasn't even full.
We had orecchiette, pasta shaped like little ears. And these looked so much like little ears they could have bee chopped off a baby. Each ear is about 1/8-1/4 inch thick so each ear is lifesized. The best I can say is not like any I have had before. I took a photo- perhaps you think this is what food should look like.

. And the wine list is undrinkable. I tried three reds- the best was boring. The other two were undrinkable. And not that cheap-= $8-12 a glass.

I hear the pizza is good. Personally I like more cheese on mine but that might be a personal taste and I didn't try any.

1  Thank Amyarizona1