“I had high expections. I'll try again in a few months.”
Review of Il Capo Pizzeria

Il Capo Pizzeria
Ranked #247 of 1,299 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This is a great location with al fresco dining and an attractive indoor bar.

The menu is good. But the food preparation is not good. Both our dishes- lasagna and orecchiette were served cold- and dishes needed to go back.
The reviews said good service but we had to wait for everything and at 6 pm it wasn't even full.
We had orecchiette, pasta shaped like little ears. And these looked so much like little ears they could have bee chopped off a baby. Each ear is about 1/8-1/4 inch thick so each ear is lifesized. The best I can say is not like any I have had before. I took a photo- perhaps you think this is what food should look like.

. And the wine list is undrinkable. I tried three reds- the best was boring. The other two were undrinkable. And not that cheap-= $8-12 a glass.

I hear the pizza is good. Personally I like more cheese on mine but that might be a personal taste and I didn't try any.

1  Thank Amyarizona1

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Il Capo just opened at Scottsdale/Shea across from the Harkins movie theater (Where the gelato place used to be). My wife and I are always looking for new places to eat, and we decided to give it a try.
The decor is really nice with a row of banquettes separating the eating area from the bar, along with a large outdoor patio dining area. They have specialty pizzas, so we ordered two of them, the duck/procuitto/figs and the fungi (mushroom)/truffle oil. The pizzas were great! The duck pizza was succulent, almost sinful, and the fungi was also delicious. They are also fairly large, so we took about half of each pie home with us.

In addition, they have a happy hour from 2PM to 6PM every day, with $3 beer, wines (and mixed drinks?). We got there early and took advantage of the low pricing. They have IPA on tap, and actually serve it properly, so i was happy. My wife had 2 glasses of wine, so was very happy.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant for the specialty pizza and happy hour drinks. They also have grinders/sandwiches and pasta dishes, which we will try the next time we return. The service was very friendly, and as it was a little slow the chef came out and talked to us (he's from Deer park, NY, so he knows his pizza!)