“Great food! Lacking service”

The Spotted Donkey Cantina
Reserve with OpenTable
The Spotted Donkey Cantina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 1,261 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Carefree Hwy
Description: Fresh, lively and energetic, the Spotted Donkey Cantina at el Pedregal is a Scottsdale original. Offering the best drinks, unique food and a festive atmosphere are quickly earning Spotted Donkey Cantina at el Pedregal a reputation as the place to dine in North Scottsdale. The restaurant's North Scottsdale location provides a fabulous backdrop of 12-million-year-old rock formations and you can catch the Arizona sky creating a stunning atmosphere on our large outdoor patio. Best Happy Hour 2012 | AZ Centrals Readers Choice Awards Best Mexican Food 2013 | Arizona Foothills Magazine
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great food! Lacking service”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This place came highly recommended to me buy a co worker and I was really excited to dine here, the food was amazing. My wife and I both had enchiladas and margaritas, and were extremely satisfied. However, our server josh made us feel rushed and uncomfortable throughout our dining experience. We will return again however we will definitely be dining at the bar area

• Visited June 2013

Manhattan, Kansas
“Excellent Mexican food!!!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Excellent Mexican food along with excellent service. Top choices of our group was the meatloaf, stuffed peppers and nacho appetizer. The chirizo gravy on the meatloaf was unique yet very tasty. The stuffed peppers were very good. The nachos had a lot of meat and cheese and could easily be a meal if so desired. We also had sopapillas and this choice should be split between at least two parties. You get 6 sopapillas, some ice cream and whipped cream----excellent.

Visited June 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Baja fish tacos and margaritas”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

In Scottsdale it is hard to distinguish between all the Mexican style restaurants. Spotted Donkey is not the only place the serves a Mexican menu but so far it is the best Baja fish taco I ever had. Better than fish tacos that I ate in Mexico. They make me dream of Cabo and sunshine and cold margaritas...

London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I loved this place. Informal, low key, middle price range, Mexican cantina around 30 min drive North of Phoenix. Certainly worth the drive. The drive itself gives fantastic views of the surrounding rugged mountainous landscape. It's easy to miss, and is set in a fairly non-descript mall. Entering the restaurant though, there is a busy, buzzing atmosphere. Many Mexican cantina's have fairly standard menus, but this menu was very inventive - while still being distinctly Mexican. The cocktail menu also had their own twists on a few classics. We had a selection of starters, and my duck Quesedilla special was a great choice.... although I think I would have been delighted with whatever I ordered, given how good everything looked. The servers were very adept at catering to the large group too. My group included quite a few locals, who rate it very highly. All of that combined with the reasonable prices, make this place a must visit....

phoenix
“Great food!!! but get reservations!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had dinner last night here, and just loved it! Everything we ordered from the appetizers to the drinks was really "Amazing" you won't go wrong here! Just a heads up......Try the Jalapeno poppers in shot glasses and or the Shrimp tempura....You will be the hit at the table for these 2 orders:)