“Selectively good”

Jewel of the Crown, Cuisine of India
Ranked #351 of 1,241 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Description: Options: Lunch 5 days and Dinner 7 days. Lunch: Wed-Fri: 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM; Sat-Sun: 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM. Dinner: Sun-Thu: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM; Fri-Sat: 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM. Price Range: $11 - $18.
Phoenix, Arizona
“Selectively good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

I have been here mutiple times now and overall I like this place. The ambience is nice and the service is good.In general, I recommend trying the samosa, chicken curry/masala, chicken/paneer tikka, nan bread, the lunch thali. They have a outdoor seating as well and it's nice. I have tried the biriyani items here and I did not like them, it lacks in taste and needs a change in the recipe I guess to make it taste good.

• Visited October 2011

Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice ambiance poor food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

As indicated by earlier review, The decor and location are fine, However we found the service indifferent and not particularly welcoming.
Papad was half burnt to begin then cheese pakora which were taste less. Spring water was not available. After a long wait I got stale nan and Malai Kofta were the worst I ever had. Server packed the left over which ended in trash on the way. Very poor experince and left hungry after spending $35.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank UpperCapeResident
Portland, Oregon
“Superb Indian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

Who would have thought there would be such superb Indian Food in the desert?!
We were delighted to discover the Jewel of the Crown on our trip to Scottsdale this past January. We lived in London, England for ten years and the food at the Jewel of the Crown is as good as anything we experienced in the many excellent restaurants in the U.K.
The spices were just right and the service was excellent as well. It is a little tricky to find but if you ask for the Scottsdale Performing Arts Center you will see it just across the way.
It turned out to be our favorite restaurant in Scottsdale. Highly recommended. You can also check out the menu on the Internet before you go, if you wish.

1 Thank greenganesh
Long Island, NY
“Eh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

I love Indian food, this place was just okay compared to what I get back home in New York. The service was almost non existant if non caring. This difficult to find place in the Scottsdale Mall was not worth the long walk in the intense heat. I will say that it is a nice place with plenty of elbow room. But good food to go along with the ambiance helps.

San Diego, CA
“Great experience, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

We eat at The Jewel of the Crown while visiting the Paradise valley area, and I highly recommend it.

We love Indian food, and search it out wherever we go (my favorite is Gaylord in Hong Kong, FWIW), and our meal at The Jewel compares very favorably with typical Indiam resteraunts in North America.

The ambience pleasand and convisial - good, but not great; no specific criticisms, just not as upsacle as it might have been. We ate at 7:30 on a Saturday evening, and the place was busy but not full.

We started with the mixed kabob, which was terrific value at $8, and in cluded some of the best tandoori chicken I have ever had - very moist, when it's so common for tandoori chicken to turn out too dry.

The head waiter was very very helpful and knowledgeable. I usually drink Taj Mahal with Indiam food, but he recommended a Begian beer (Tikka Gold) that was cheaper, and brewed specifically to be eaten with Indiam food - which turned out to be a great recommendation.

We had the Chicken Tikka Marsala (yes, not really authentic Indiam, but a perennial favorite) and the Karai Lamb - with a "bread basket" with 6 different Naans. We dicussed "how hot hot is" withj the head waiter - in the US I have a lot of problems getting Indian food properly hot while still keeping the dept of spice flavor, and he fully understood "English hot" as being almost "Indian hot" and very much more spicy than "American hot" (equivalent to "on the mild side of English medium") - and the dishes came out perfectly spiced. The Karai, was absolutely perfect - one of the best dishes I have had in a long time. The Tikka Marsala was a littel less hot (as it should be); in England I would describe it as being avaerage, but it was definitely better than most that I have had in the US - so good, but not great.

The Naans were also perfect - light and well cooked, just slightly singed in places - exactly as they should be. We'd never had Aloo Naan before - my wife liked it, I wasn't so keen. The Keema Naan and Garlic Nanna were also great. The onion and plain naans were good, but not great - all in all, $15 for 6 naans was a great deal - we brought half of them back wiuth us to eat later.

Including 2 beers the whole check came to $75 including tax , and I tipped $15 - excellent value for money. I reccommend The Jewel without reservations to anybody who is looking for properly tasty North Indian food in the Phoenix area.

2 Thank dgwright99