“Modern hotel, nice location”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, IL
“Modern hotel, nice location”
Reviewed October 22, 2006

Room: Excellent
We stayed for 5 nights in one of their studio guest rooms. Although not facing the pool, our room overlooked a small grassy courtyard. Upon arriving, I was a bit disappointed. Although the grounds were well kept, the set up was more like a motel. However the room itself was beautiful and modern. It looked exactly like the picture, with a separate tub from which you can soak and watch the plazma TV. And the bed was amazing...so comfortable.

Grounds: Average
As for the rest of the hotel, it seems to cater to a young local crowd rather than their guests. Lots of people in their mid 20-30s dressed to impress. Impress who? I don't know, but they seemed to hang out by the lobby a lot. I'm in my 20s myself, but couldn't see what the draw was. The hotel seemed to hold a lot of parties during the weekends though, limiting pool access for guests. We were actually grateful that our room didn't face the pool since the parties were quite noisy at night.

Service: Average
Our room was very well kept, but rarely cleaned before 3 or 4pm. We like having coffee, but the creamer was never replaced. We ended up going to a local mini-mart instead. Another issue we had was when I requested a late check-out (my flight wasn't until 4pm that day). They offered to let us check out at 1pm...so only one extra hour later than their usual check-out time. However, I had several people knocking on my door after 12. Considering they don't clean the room until after 3 most days, I saw no reason for this. It wasn't all bad however...we had a problem opening the room safe one night, and the security people were there very quickly to help us.

Location: Above Average
There's lots of places within walking distance. We were there in October so the weather was beautiful. The Fashion Square Mall is about a mile away. And the art district is nearby. Lots of restaurants to choose from if you don't want to pay the crazy prices for room service. We didn't bother trying the hotel restaurants. We have a Trader Vics in Chicago so the one in Scottsdale didn't excite us..

Parking: Poor
Considering the price we paid for our room, I can't believe they don't provide parking for guests (unless you want to pay for nightly valet). We like to have our car easily accessible, so that we can go in and out as we please. We ended up parking on the street, rather than waiting for the valet.

• Liked — Room decor, lots of places to explore within walking distance
  • Disliked — No parking unless you want to pay for valet.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Melanie_from_Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
u.s. virgin islands
Reviewed October 12, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a week-long stay at the Valley Ho. We had a wonderful experience! The staff was very nice and accomodating. On arrival, we were given a room with 2 double beds so I called the front desk and they immediately moved us to room with one king, without any trouble. There was some construction going on across the street, but to be honest we could not hear anything in our room.

The room was great. It was very spacious and we loved the bathroom with the blue mood light. The bed was awesome! Nice down pillows and a down comforter, very comfortable.

We ate at Cafe Zuzu and it was delicious everytime, with great service. The staff was so friendly. I've read other people saying they thought it was over-priced, all I can say to that is you are in a hotel, you should expect some things to be pricey.

As far as the valet guys go, they were so nice and I never felt they were standing around waiting for a tip. There were a few times I didn't have any cash on me and they never acted indifferently.

The gym was very nice. It was very well-maintained, with state-of-the-art equipment. I loved the fact that each treadmill and elliptical trainer had a flat-screen tv attached.

We enjoyed the fact that the hotel was not a cookie-cutter chain. It really felt unique and extremely hip. We will definitely stay there again, when we return to Scottsdale. People who are nit-picky will always find something to complain about, but I can honestly say there was very little to complain about here.

• Liked — the retro feel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — lots of celebrities
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank tcorr
Ohio
Reviewed August 26, 2006

This is a first class establishment. We experienced excellent customer service with a smile. The rooms are clean and hip. Cafe ZuZu and Trader Vic's were both outstanding and the service was excellent. If you get to Scottsdale, you have to stay at the "Ho"!!

• Liked — It was Hip
  • Disliked — We had to leave...
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat at Trader Vic's
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank BoyBilly
phx
Reviewed July 24, 2006

WE did not stay at the Valley Ho, but we ate at their restaurant, Trader Vics. It was a nightmare, cold food and poor service, no air conditioning and the waiter forged our signature on the debit slip and we were charged a triple amount on something we did not sign. We contacted the Valley Ho manager, Jay Ehlinger and he promised big reimbursements but never came thru and is now not returnng our phone calls. Dont try this, its not worth the hassle afterward to deal with dishonest people.

Stayed June 2006
12 Thank scottsdale5
Bakersfield, CCA
Reviewed June 27, 2006

For the price, and ouside the room, the Valley Ho provided few of the amenities that were commensurate with quality service. From staff training going on in the bar to the gross errors throughout or stay, I was severely disappointed. The rooms were nice and the beds superb, however, nearly everything else needs improvement.

First thing to notice is the 5 a.m. construction going on in the residential tower that was slated to be complete by opening and is now 7 months behind schedule and not even remotely close to being done. Because of the temperatures, you wake each morning to nail guns, pounding of walls and the constant eyes of the construction workers cast poolside.

Calling yourself a boutique hotel doesn't provide an excuse for high prices and poor service and accommodations.

ROOMS
I was upset at the lack of sufficient air conditioning. In fact, our first room required a transfer because room 7204 would not cool below 82 degrees. Engineering said they were having constant complaint and trying to fix it. But my 8 month pregnant wife was put in the room with no warning. Ridiculous.

The second room air was better, but never got below 74 consistently and during the day hovered at 76-78.

The rooms were nice with great amenities. Chic. I would agree with other's review of the room. However, since the hotel opened in January the truly hot temperatures had not been reached when most stayed. As a result, air conditioning had yet to become a problem. At 113, all hell broke loose.

STAFF:
At the front desk, John was excellent. Despite the gross errors in billing, complete inability for anyone to decipher the bills and 3 hour check out because of those mistakes, John was always considerate and courteous.

POOL BAR STAFF
Could not have seem more disinterested in service or getting things right. A true disappointment.

POOL:
The soft water was overly salty and far too warm. The water was consistently in the mid-90s and provided no relief from the heat.

VH SPA
Great! Enjoyed the professionalism of each treatment and attention to detail.

FITNESS CENTER
Nice selection of equipment and well kept.

CONFERENCE FACITILITIES
Excellent. The outside techs were wonderful but never showed up during the day to check on problems, which there were few.

CAFE ZUZU
Super. The food was a constant surprise. Dinner was especially good.

TRADER VICS
Needs work. I waited a week to get in and the food and service (only open 3 weeks)left a lot to be desired.

OH POOL BAR AND CABANAS
Poor. For the cost of the cabana, a misting system and real shade would have been appropriate. With 113 degree temperatures, constant exposure to the sun in some direction, and block walls, we actually cancelled a number of days. The service at the pool was horrible. Despite being the one of three people at the pool, I was constantly required to walk to the bar to get my own drinks. And despite telling Ryan, Brian, Brian, Sophia and Chelsea individually over 7 total times not to let anyone charge on my room, I was surprised to find over $700.00 of unauthorized charges without signatures and with tips placed by the staff.

IN ROOM DINING
Excellent. Staff was great. Courteous and helpful. Food was good.

Needless to say, I will not be back. It is a shame to see such good people working for the hotel, like John and Jay, when they are given no ability or facilities to do the job they desire to do.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
24 Thank Civillit1
maryville tennessee(big orange country)
Reviewed June 24, 2006

Warning, this motel charges you an extra $100 a night deposit upon check-in so be prepared to pay this even if you prepaid.

I stayed at the valley ho from June 18th -23rd room 4206 ,my experience with the front desk at check on the 18th was the beginning of a nightmare, first I was advised even though my room was prepaid in full ,I was going to be charged a $100 a night fee for the bar I TOLD THEM I HAD NO USE FOR IT,(wouldn’t it make more sense to make that optional keep the keys at the front desk at check in)do not tie up my money for a service I don’t want , the young lady and guy were extremely rude and did not understand why I did not like this, now for the other nonsense at this motel valet parking is not worth it, I want access to my car without having to pay someone every time I want to leave the motel and believe they have their hands out for a tip every time which gets old I believe in tipping nicely but not being robbed , and in the desert heat they charge you $6 a bottle of water-give me a break, now for the restaurants , trader Vic’s is a joke tried to get reservations 5 nights in a row , after asking one night and being told no openings, yet I watched some one walk up and give the main dude a $20 and yes they go a reservation, café zuzu is another high priced or should I say over priced tuna casserole for $10 are you kidding? The place was loud with drunks and wannabes or the cool ones and Thursday night the music was so loud it shook the walls and I could not sleep, you ask did I enjoy my stay here at valley ho? If I ever go back I would not stay there again it is for the young cool crowd I suppose, b.t.w. the pictures on line show a round bathtub, well it was not, it was just a normal tub, and it did have a nice shower and TV. and a clean room , my parting thought Is I hope the guy and gal that checked me in that Sunday, are on vacation someday and are treated the same way they did me –rudely-
SIGNED Ben Garland

• Stayed June 2006
12 Thank hydebee
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed June 14, 2006

Wow! What a remodel! Eighty million well spent, from the blue mood light above the tub (glowing behind the bathroom's frosted glass walls) to the giant two-person circular lounges poolside (complete with built-in cocktail table) to the VH-exclusive moonflower-scented toiletries (by trendy Red Flower). My mother and I stayed in a signature guest room on the second floor (there are only two in the main building; condos and guest rooms will also be available in the towers, now under construction).

Love the motor inn styling, perfectly preserved yet thoroughly modern. Color scheme is cool and refreshing amid the often cliched "Southwestern decor" one can find in Arizona lodging. Even the room numbers are cool!

Ultra-clean pool (which we practically had to ourselves during our weeknight stay) with groovy, comfortable rafts. Uber-soft sheets and ridiculously scrunchy pillows. Fun comfort food menu at Cafe Zuzu (liver & onions and Maytag blue fondue got raves). Big flat screen TV, two-person chaise on balcony, well-stocked (and pricey) minibar, glossy magazines bedside.

No issues to speak of, aside from a bum blow dryer which has replaced immediately. And, unlucky for us, the legendary Trader Vic's restaurant was opening four nights *after* our stay.

Shout-outs to bellman Preston and server Roseanne. Would stay at the Valley Ho again with pleasure.

• Stayed May 2006