“Wonderful experience from the minute we got there.”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My girlfriend and I went for a girls trip to Scottsdale. We had such a wonderful experience while staying at the Valley Ho. The staff was very accommodating and the concierge, Judy was extremely helpful.
My friend had a very nice massage which was very reasonably priced.
It is perfectly situated near downtown so no car was necessary while downtown. They also have a trolley that goes locally.
I would like to go back there again with my husband.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank pennyy2013
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Isn't Judy great? We're lucky to have her! Thank you for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed January 28, 2014

The hotel is well located. It is close to an active area, with art galleries, commerce and restaurants. The expectations were high and the reality is that I did not find it such a high quality. When just entering the room, it smelled strongly chemical. Maybe some cleaning product. Furniture was not in very good shape, a chair that was not straight, a fridge with scratches on it. It did not give a nice image. In addition to that the room has a vintage look, that I do not find really nice (this is subjective oppinion). Food was good. It was nice that the room had a little terrace to step out but some people walking infront of it, in the garden. This is not preserving very much intimity. I think that there are better choices if you look at the cost.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Lluc M
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

I'm sorry that you did not like the hotel. No room should have a chemical smell, and we're always happy to relocate you to another room if possible, and would want to ensure the issue was corrected. We are in the process of replacing some guest room items to ensure they are in great condition, and are also replacing other items including lobby furniture. The hotel was built in 1956 and has a mid-century-modern style, which we restored when we bought the hotel in 2002. Guest room balconies on the second floor or higher will offer a bit more privacy since people cannot walk in front of them, though some people prefer the first-floor patios that open onto one of our courtyards. We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This hotel has a cute vibe, but I would not voluntarily pick this hotel to come back to. This was a business trip for me, and my room didn't have a real chair to sit in at the desk- instead having a small mushroom like stool to sit on (see picture). After trying to get some work done, I'm definitely not a fan of sitting on the mushroom stool. And in case you're wondering, the object next to my laptop is a vanity mirror (like you would use to put on makeup or horribly magnify your face). So I could conveniently check out my facial pores while sitting on the mushroom stool. There were also incredible slowness or non-connectivity issues with the internet throughout my stay. I couldn't connect initially, and one of their technicians was in my room for 20 minutes trying to connect my laptop to their internet network. I travel a lot with this computer and normally have no wireless problems. In fact, the internet died while I was writing this review, and my first attempt was lost. But I do have great things to say about the homemade cranberry walnut bread toast for breakfast- yum!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank gremlin_337

I'm sorry that the room setup did not work for you. The majority of our room types do have a traditional chair with a back and a working area (including our standard rooms), so I think one of those would work better for you. The makeup mirror is movable, so you can place it where it is convenient for you to use. Regarding the Internet, I'm not sure what dates you stayed, but our Internet provider experienced problems this week and that affected the connection and speed at the hotel for a couple of hours. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. We appreciate your feedback and hope you'll consider another visit to the hotel.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed here for a conference and found it delightful without being pretentious. Its 50s charm is evident in every aspect of the property from the architecture to the decor. The rooms are sweet and pools/poolside service enjoyable. Loved the balcony, bathroom, counter space, and bed (super comfortable beds). The service was great - helpful front desk, concierge, and bellmen.

Room Tip: One tip and one random comment: if you are in the 5000 building, get help with your bag if you'r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AnnaBaldwin
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

We appreciate your review!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel that really gives the feeling that you are stepping back in time - retro design with modern touches. The staff was warm and welcoming and the hotel has a great vibe. The room was spacious and well laid out with a great balcony that overlooked a really cool pool that gets lit up at night. In the distance I could see Camelback mountain. Actually woke up early one morning and drove over there about 3-4 miles and took a short hike part way up and watched the sunrise. Beautiful! The location is great, walking distance from the art galleries and restaurants in Old Town Scottsdale. If you are there on Thursday night and like music and art, check out the Art Walk - music, wine, and art at the local galleries. This was the second time I've stayed at this hotel and I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Isn't the view from Camelback Mountain great? Thanks for your review, and we hope to see you again one day!

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

We had an enjoyable stay at the Valley Ho in Jan 2014.

The pool was very nice, gym well equipped and the bar was fun.

The rooms were very comfortable.

The only downside was the ridiculously late check in time of 4pm!! I have travelled all my life and never experienced a check in this late.

Do not turn up to early! They were not helpful in this regard.

I would return.

Nick

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! I'm sorry that the 4:00 p.m. check-in time was not ideal for you; this is a fairly common check-in time in the U.S. (usually 3:00-4:00). We are happy to accommodate early check-ins when possible, but when occupancy is high it's not always an option. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This Hotel was a treat. I was a little nervous when our travel agency booked me at this hotel, mainly scared by the name. I was definitely wrong... I had a room on the bottom floor which have little to no view but like I said I was there for work and I didn't mind. The restaurant was our first stop every morning and we loved everything on the menu. Hotel is close to everything in downtown Scottsdale and I would definitely come stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get in the larger rooms in the main building above reservations. They are HUGE suites with ju...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

We appreciate your review. "Hotel Valley Ho" was the original name of the hotel when it opened in 1956. We're located in the "Valley" (Phoenix area) and our sister property at the time was the Westward Ho, so that's where the name comes from. We hope to see you again!