“Delightful”

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed here for a conference and found it delightful without being pretentious. Its 50s charm is evident in every aspect of the property from the architecture to the decor. The rooms are sweet and pools/poolside service enjoyable. Loved the balcony, bathroom, counter space, and bed (super comfortable beds). The service was great - helpful front desk, concierge, and bellmen.

Room Tip: One tip and one random comment: if you are in the 5000 building, get help with your bag if you'r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AnnaBaldwin
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

We appreciate your review!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel that really gives the feeling that you are stepping back in time - retro design with modern touches. The staff was warm and welcoming and the hotel has a great vibe. The room was spacious and well laid out with a great balcony that overlooked a really cool pool that gets lit up at night. In the distance I could see Camelback mountain. Actually woke up early one morning and drove over there about 3-4 miles and took a short hike part way up and watched the sunrise. Beautiful! The location is great, walking distance from the art galleries and restaurants in Old Town Scottsdale. If you are there on Thursday night and like music and art, check out the Art Walk - music, wine, and art at the local galleries. This was the second time I've stayed at this hotel and I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Isn't the view from Camelback Mountain great? Thanks for your review, and we hope to see you again one day!

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

We had an enjoyable stay at the Valley Ho in Jan 2014.

The pool was very nice, gym well equipped and the bar was fun.

The rooms were very comfortable.

The only downside was the ridiculously late check in time of 4pm!! I have travelled all my life and never experienced a check in this late.

Do not turn up to early! They were not helpful in this regard.

I would return.

Nick

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! I'm sorry that the 4:00 p.m. check-in time was not ideal for you; this is a fairly common check-in time in the U.S. (usually 3:00-4:00). We are happy to accommodate early check-ins when possible, but when occupancy is high it's not always an option. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This Hotel was a treat. I was a little nervous when our travel agency booked me at this hotel, mainly scared by the name. I was definitely wrong... I had a room on the bottom floor which have little to no view but like I said I was there for work and I didn't mind. The restaurant was our first stop every morning and we loved everything on the menu. Hotel is close to everything in downtown Scottsdale and I would definitely come stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get in the larger rooms in the main building above reservations. They are HUGE suites with ju...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

We appreciate your review. "Hotel Valley Ho" was the original name of the hotel when it opened in 1956. We're located in the "Valley" (Phoenix area) and our sister property at the time was the Westward Ho, so that's where the name comes from. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel is so perfectly located to everything in downtown Scottsdale. Just two blocks in your in Old Town. The room was large and the private outdoor space was a nice bonus. We only stayed one night so I was not able to check out all the amenities but the public spaces are fabulously decorated. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came here for his work party. When you drive up, first impression gives you the feeling that it's dated. However you quickly realize that it's supposed to look that way. The decor is newer and fresh, 50's style. Vibrant greens, oranges, whites make the rooms come alive. There's a wonderful bar, firepits, beautifully landscaped, pool, hot tub, etc. The party was spectacular. The waitstaff was very friendly and attentive. The food was excellent for the party. I'm assuming the food from room service would be just as excellent but I didn't order. I don't see any children, however the majority of the people here this weekend are from my husbands work. I would highly recommend Valley Ho for any special occasion or just a weekend getaway.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I'm originally from Scottsdale and when I come back, I'm happy to see places like this spruced up.

Bottom line: great views, pretty, well-designed place, but front desk and guest services are severely lacking.

We arrived for a post-Christmas parental visit on December 28, having booked four nights randomly via Hotwire. When we got there we were more than pleased at how clean the hotel room, grounds, lobby and restaurant were. Some top architectural historians have said many nice things about this property - and all were true.

The room (basic King room with a partial pool view) was roomy and the bathroom (with bathtub and super fun "mood" lighting) was stocked with great products. Appreciated in the frosted glass "cube" setup of this room was the second door enclosing the toilet itself (though that door, a sliding door, wouldn't stay shut).

Needless to say, after seeing the room, hearing about the GREAT "no fees" pet policy and turning on our giant flatscreen tv, we were pretty excited just to stay IN for a couple days before the New Year!

The excitement was dulled a bit over the next couple days, however, when more interaction with staff and learning the odd systems of the place took their toll on our good cheer.

It started on our first morning waking up at the hotel - in fact, waking up to an 8am call from a "front desk representative" alerting us that "the computer system had a failure overnight" and that we needed to give them our billing info for incidentals again. My wife, being a little suspicious, thanked the person and said that we would bring our card to the front desk to update when we awoke. The person on the phone pushed for the info "as a convenience," but we refused to give it, the caller then abruptly hung up on us. Obviously...this was a scam - one that many probably fall for since they called our room directly and asked for ("Mrs. Smith" e.g.). While the hotel isn't responsible for the idiots who try to scam people like this - it indeed was the hotel's front desk who put someone through to our room simply because they asked to be connected to the "Smith's" room! Does any good hotel simply patch people through to guest rooms without the caller having the full name and room number? When we reported this to the front desk, they sheepishly apologized for the call getting through - and confirmed that their computers were working just fine - the caller indeed was a scammer that almost got our info.

The next day I would have argued with the staff's statement that the computers WEREN'T broken because they checked us out for some random reason. A fairly easy fix, but we did have to return to the front desk to get new keys.

The little snafu's aside, the property was still beautiful and the location was still great, so we wanted to extend to stay the nights of January 1 and 2 as well. My wife went to the front desk to inquire about an extension. While we knew we couldn't get our Hotwire rate directly from the desk, we were still blown away to hear that rooms were now $245 and $345 - since there were very few people in the hotel. Further, the girl at the front desk said she couldn't even book one for us and that we'd have to come back later because she didn't know how to work the computer...and she was alone behind the desk...wow.

Hearing this, I decided to jump on the iPad to confirm that the rooms really were that high...lo and behold, the Valley Ho's OWN WEBSITE had rack rates set at $130...what was this person even thinking??? I gave up actually trying to book directly through the hotel, went back to Hotwire to a listing that looked similar to the one I originally booked and got two more nights for $97 each. Crazy.

Finally, the hotel checked us out AGAIN, even though we called down, they confirmed our new reservation, said we could stay in the same room and that everything was good. We learned this as we went down to the desk to update our incidentals card. The problem was, we forgot to get new keys. No matter...(and scarily), even though we were now supposedly "not registered" to this new room and "checked out," our keycards still worked. So...if they had us as checked out, and our keys still worked...would they have booked another late arrival to our room to wander in while our stuff was still there? I don't know...but I slept with one eye open that night just to be sure.

Anyway, I hate to be so negative, but the logistical problems at this place are a nightmare. It's a shame, too, because the location, cleanliness and grounds are as lovely as it gets and I would really like to visit this place again. Maybe when new staff and managers are in place.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were pretty cool - perhaps try for a partial pool view when not in crazy summer...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RD_Schmidt
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

I'm sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay. We don't connect calls to guest rooms unless the caller has the guest name and room number. Unfortunately there are some criminals who target hotel guests. Moving forward, with any incoming calls for an in-house guest, we will be placing the caller on hold, and then checking with the guest to inform them of the call before transferring. This is not a common issue, but nonetheless we absolutely want to ensure that our guests are not taken advantage of. Regarding the quoted room rate, it sounds like our front desk may have misunderstood and quoted you for December 31, when the rate was higher due to our New Year's Eve events. We would never try to charge a higher rate than what is on our website. I apologize for the issue you experienced at the front desk with extending your stay, and we are looking into this matter. We are training some new front desk staff and clearly our service fell short there. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you had an enjoyable time in Scottsdale.