“An Arizona Gem”

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending a few days at the Valley Ho recently, and highly recommend this unique hotel; the staff is gracious, prompt, and accommodating, and the location is perfect -- mere blocks from Old Scottsdale. The rooms are comfortable, the pool's a blast, the restaurant's excellent with a friendly wait staff, and the 50's-early 60's decor and vibe is a real treat; its fun to step back in time, hear the music of that era played tastefully in the background -- and yet have all the conveniences of the present day. I look forward to staying next time I'm in the area.

One thing though: I love souvenirs of places I've enjoyed. Here, I loved the funky, multicolored coffee mugs used in the restaurant, and was disappointed that they were not available in the boutique -- I think they would be a big seller!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

We appreciate your review! We used to sell the mugs in the boutique but the cost increased too much for us to continue. We'd love to see you again, if your travels should bring you to Scottsdale!

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This place is really nice. The staff is very courteous and helpful. The only downside was that I had to walk outside to get to my room and go up a flight of stairs but that's part of the "charm" in staying in an old motel that's been renovated to be an awesome place. The rooms were very clean with cool updated bathrooms and great walk-in showers. The bed was clean and comfortable. The only complaint was that the free wifi was terrible. If you want a decent speed you have to pay extra. The gym on-site was one of the best I've seen in a hotel and it had everything I needed and more. I really liked it. The bar was great in the evening. We enjoyed it! There is a restaurant within walking distance--Tortilla Factory that's not bad and a dive bar called the Coach's House. That place was great for a drink.

Overall, you get a great rate in the summer. If you can afford to stay there I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013

We appreciate your review! If you prefer a room that is entered from an indoor hallway, we have rooms and suites in our seven-story Tower. You just take the elevator up from the lobby, without needing to walk outside. Cornish Pasty is a fantastic restaurant with two locations in the Valley, and very soon they are opening their new location right down the street from the hotel. They serve traditional pasties from Cornwall. If you visit again, you may want to check it out!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had the opportunity to combine business with a couple days off again at the Valley Ho. I have stayed here many times over several years. The customer service is exceptional and it really feels like that ownership and every team member has bought into their vision. The food is great, the pool atmosphere is wonderful and every service is exceptional. Valley Ho is also close to many Old Town attractions.....my only advice to ownership is to find another gem like this and restore it to the glory days as well. You might consider the grand hotel in St. Pete's Beach for your next venture!

Room Tip: Although I stayed in a smaller room this time, consider the poolside patio rooms for a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

We appreciate your review! Thank you for staying with us and we hope your travels bring you back to Scottsdale soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was here for a business meeting and the hotel was great. We had good meeting space and a nice area for a reception. Room was nice and comfortable with a retro feel but also a nice modern bathroom. The hotel is right in the middle of Old Scottsdale and you can walk to all different types of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. I never got to check out the pool, but it looked like quite a bit of fun. Remember that the retro nature of the place means that quite a few rooms open not into a hallway but to the outside. I got a great value rate during the summer for my meeting, so my value rating is possibly higher than how someone would feel paying full tilt prices during the winter. Very good service. This can be a hotel for a younger crowd, so be aware that this is often a place to come and "be seen" and is not necessarily a "quiet getaway", if that is what you are looking for.

Room Tip: I was in building 6 and got to have a hallway entrance to my room rather than having an outside entr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for your review! Our average guest tends to be slightly younger in the summer (especially weekends), but throughout the year we see guests of all ages. Have a pleasant summer!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This Retro Style Hotel was a very pleasant surprise. Located in the heart of Old Scottsdale and close to everything. Even though I had a rental car, I could have walked most places to shop & eat. Supper Clean, great drinks & food, sizable rooms w/comfortable beds & furniture. The pool had upholstered lounges for 2 and they come to you with water and a drink/food menu. A nice spa & exercise room completed the package. What more can you ask for...all the comforts w/great smelling soap amenities and the ability to shop till you drop. I'm going back!

Room Tip: Our room over looked an interior court with a fountain...pretty & quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

We appreciate your review! We hope to see you on your next visit to Arizona.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family and I drove over six+ hours from Utah to stay one night at Valley Ho and we were able to check into our room around 4 AM and check out the next day. Front Desk, House Keeping, and Pool staff were great and very friendly!!!! Rooms are nice and clean with great A/C. With All-Around Great Customer Service from Valley Ho we are a returning customer for sure!!! :)

• Stayed: June 2013
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

I'm glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay. We look forward to your next one!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was our second visit & we were not disappointed. Great location to Old Town & access to the local Trolley. ..It is definitely a Hotel with a character all it's own..The staff are all very helpful , friendly, & professional...Feels like you are staying with friends who care about your needs. Great pool, fun servers & wait staff & the beds are out of this world comfortable....would definitely stay here again & again.........

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill M

Thank you for your review! The free Downtown Scottsdale Trolley is definitely a great way to get around the area. Have a wonderful summer.