“Very Cool Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oakton, VA
“Very Cool Hotel”
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I loved the look and feel of this hotel. The amenities are great and location is excellent. I spent a two nights with my girl friend and we had a nice time tanning by the pool with all the beautiful people, walking to restaurants and galleries in Old Town Scottsdale and taking the free trolley to the Waterfront.

My only dissatisfaction was that we had booked a cabana room and it had been given away to someone else when I checked in. They upgraded us to a studio room, which was larger and nicely appointed, but had a terrible view. We ended up changing to a room on the second level (above the cabana rooms) with a better view of the pool (it was a lower rated room than I had paid for which I was not happy about) and they then changed us to a cabana room on the second day. Not happy about all the constant unpacking and repacking to switch rooms and they did not offer to make it up any other way.

I will probably stay here again if I'm out this way, but will make sure to make it a point that my selected room must be made available.

• Liked — The overall look and feel, as well as the location.
  • Disliked — my reserved room was not honored
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank snbdrenzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Calgary
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We drove down to Scottsdale from chilly Calgary and were looking forward to a sunny holiday and a nice place to stay. We booked HVH through Hotwire and when we checked the reviews on Tripadvisor we were very excited about staying at this hotel.
When we first got there we were excited about the "old Hollywood" feel of it, however we had brought our 15month old son with us and we were slightly skeptical at first as it seemed to be more of an adult hotel not really geared towards families.

However our check in was a breeze and the concierge took us to our room and they had considerately put us away from the pool on the ground floor opening onto the beautiful green (much needed if you know anyhing about Calgary!) grass!! Furthermore, you know you are staying somewhere nice when housekeeping know that there is a baby in the rooms and they bring baby amenities to you! Nice Touch... We also enjoyed opening the doors so that our son could wander out to the grass and play with his toys while we lounged in the beautiful room.

The pool was an interesting experience for us. As a family with a young child, the pool scene at first didn't really feel as though it was geared towards us. However once we made ourselves comfortable we really enjoyed our time there - everyone was easygoing and we met lots of others who were there with thier families. It was also very nice to look at all the younger people and reminiscing about our time in our 20's...

My husband and I are well travelled and have stayed at all types of accomodations budget to five star. HVH is a unique jem that it really stands out for us for both exceptional service and providing a unique experience.

• Liked — service and the amenities
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank chillychick
Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed May 26, 2008

This hotel was definitely a good choice. We originally wanted to go to the new "W" hotel, but it wasn't going to be open until after our trip. I went on this trip with 3 other girlfriends for a bachelorette party. We were very pleased with the cleanliness and trendy atmosphere of this hotel. Our room was plenty big for 4 women. The room had a really nice, flat screen TV and an iPod hookup to play music.

Wireless internet throughout the hotel was also a plus. The pool was pretty great, except for Saturday afternoons when it turns into a dance party with loud music. The chain link fence around the pool kind of ruined the look a little. The pool was also too cold to swim in (for me, at least!). The spa was GREAT! I would suggest getting a massage while you are there. But make sure to tell the person if they are too harsh...my friend was sore the next day after hear massage!

The hotel was a little farther from the main st. than I had hoped, but it was a nice walk; the town also has a free trolley to take you where you want to go. I would suggest going to the restaurant for breakfast. It is a nice place to sit with a tasty breakfast. I liked the granola, although one of the days, the granola seemed very stale. It was more like 3 granola bars in a bowl rather than cereal. The egg sandwich was all of our favorites! The staff at the hotel were accommodating. I must warn you though...the staff got us REALLY lost when we were coming back from a day trip to Sedona. They neglected to tell us that there are numbered AVENUES on one side of town and numbered STREETS on the other. The woman told us over and over where to go, but never told us this important fact. We ended up on the complete opposite end of town.

• Liked — cleanliness and atmosphere
  • Disliked — wild pool parties
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank LWTraveler
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2008

I have traveled extensively and came across this hotel on the internet by chance. I took a chance after reading previous reviews on Trip Advisor and was not dissapointed. This hotel is so incredibly charming. I felt that I had been transported to an upscale Las Vegas casino in the 1950's. While dining at this jewel I almost expected a member of the Rat Pack to walk in and start a show. This hotel has jumped to the top of my list for future stays in the Phoenix area.

• Liked — The design and ambience
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank jbeck1961
Phoenix
Reviewed May 18, 2008

We booked a room, and when we got there, they tried to gave us another room, when we had reserved one WEEKS ago. This was terrible. He wouldn't reason with us and just tried to give us another room, without any kind of discount, or anything. I was unsatisfied with the room and the service to say the least. I left livid. When we tried to get our deposit back, they said we had to come back in the morning "because room service had to check if we broke anything". Absolutely ridiculous. Luckily, we live in town-- forget anyone who had to leave the next morning. I'll return in the morning, but only because I want my deposit back from this stupid hotel! You;re better off at Sanctuary!

• Stayed May 2008
3 Thank cutiepeach
alexjade, General Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, May 20, 2008
Dear Cutiepeach
I am very upset your experience was not perfect. Unfortunately you have not provided me with enough information to follow up and determine exactly what happened. Please contact me at the hotel so we can resolve and further improve our service.

Kind regards
Andrew
Benicia, California
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I stayed one night at the Valley Ho on a short business trip after a friend in Scottsdale recommended it. After researching the hotel's website, I thought it looked very hip/cool/fun.

I couldn't have been more pleased - the accommodations were spacious, comfortable, and super clean. The decor was bright, contemporary. My room was on the second floor overlooking the pool area. Private balcony/patio was nice for relaxing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially the lady at the gift shop. The bar/restaurant on site, Cafe Zazu, has a great wine list and nice selection of entrees and such.

Whenever I go back to the Phoenix area, I will definitely be staying at the Valley Ho again.

• Liked — History of hotel, hip decor, spacious comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — That I had to leave
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank SLKeyes
Chicago
Reviewed May 14, 2008

We visited over a long weekend in late March with a group of friends. The purpose of our trip was to see the Cubs play in Mesa, drink some beer, catch some sun, etc.

We stayed in a cabana suite right off the pool. The room was kind of small, but the pool side aspect more than made up for it. Having breakfast each morning on your private patio next to the pool is a great short-term cure for a Chicago winter.

When we booked, we did not see the "Spring Training Special". Kudos to the management for honoring that rate when we called back after booking. No hassle whatsoever.

Gorgeous hotel, great pool scene. The pool bartenders (Jay and Justin) made it that much more enjoyable.

Additonally we all loved the indoor bar and restaurant.

This is a great hotel in a perfect location, we walked to dinner every night.

We will be back.