“Short but pleasant stay!”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I stayed one night at the Valley Ho on a short business trip after a friend in Scottsdale recommended it. After researching the hotel's website, I thought it looked very hip/cool/fun.

I couldn't have been more pleased - the accommodations were spacious, comfortable, and super clean. The decor was bright, contemporary. My room was on the second floor overlooking the pool area. Private balcony/patio was nice for relaxing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially the lady at the gift shop. The bar/restaurant on site, Cafe Zazu, has a great wine list and nice selection of entrees and such.

Whenever I go back to the Phoenix area, I will definitely be staying at the Valley Ho again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank SLKeyes

Reviewed May 14, 2008

We visited over a long weekend in late March with a group of friends. The purpose of our trip was to see the Cubs play in Mesa, drink some beer, catch some sun, etc.

We stayed in a cabana suite right off the pool. The room was kind of small, but the pool side aspect more than made up for it. Having breakfast each morning on your private patio next to the pool is a great short-term cure for a Chicago winter.

When we booked, we did not see the "Spring Training Special". Kudos to the management for honoring that rate when we called back after booking. No hassle whatsoever.

Gorgeous hotel, great pool scene. The pool bartenders (Jay and Justin) made it that much more enjoyable.

Additonally we all loved the indoor bar and restaurant.

This is a great hotel in a perfect location, we walked to dinner every night.

We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank dbk51
Reviewed May 12, 2008

This is a unique hotel in a great location. The decor is fabulous, the guest services are wonderful. The pool is a really cool place to hang out. The food at the bar and the restaurant is average, and a little overpriced, however within walking distance there are many great choices.

Reviewed May 10, 2008

My husband and I planned a week's vacation in Sedona with our last night ending up in Scottsdale to be near the airport. We wanted our last night to be as wonderful as the rest of our week so I picked the hotel that looked special and fun. Based on review after review I picked the Hotel Valley Ho as it had everything we wanted for our price range. The most important factor other than proximity to the airport (needed to be close for our morning flight) was the terrific pool area with bar and fire pits etc. that is open into the late evening. It is heavily marketed and the thing that really sets this hotel apart from others. I called the hotel directly to inquire about a couple items as well as to make sure the pool is indeed open into the evening and heated. Our plan had been to check in at 4:00 (which is what we were told check in time was), get settled in and basically lounge at the pool for the evening having drinks and dinner poolside. We ended up booking the room through American Express on our business account. Check in was a breeze, we got settled in our room which was clean, very nice and very comfortable. We loved the bathroom and the bathroom amenities were the best ever. Our room ( as most rooms not in the tower are ) was open to a quiet courtyard on one side with a large balcony with a double lounger and table and chairs and our door to enter the room on the other side opened to the pool. We had a large lcd/plasma tv, 37" perhaps and a per cup coffee pod machine in the room which were both nice touches. Being 90 degrees, we prepared to go down to the pool area and noticed that it looked as if there was a party being set up. Also, it looked as if the patrons enjoying the pool were being asked to leave. I was suddenly alarmed and we went to the front desk to inquire about the pool for the evening. They did not know anything about why the pool might be closing. I asked them to please find out. They came back and told me apparently there was a private party that night and the pool would be closed until 10. (although I can tell you the party did go beyond that because it was loud and we could hear it in our room) They apologized because no one at the check in desk had been told this. I was upset upon hearing this and we went back to the room to regroup and figure out what we were then going to do for the evening. We were lucky to get reservations at Trader Vic's but had to run over right away before the dinner crowd came. (very good experience there with excellent service, drinks and food) I first called the manager on duty at the hotel and told him nicely why we booked the Hotel Valley Ho and why it was so important to us to have the evening in the pool. We could have booked anywhere in town and been able to swim but chose Hotel Valley Ho because of all the great things we saw and heard. We wanted a fun, special night IN THE POOL as April in NJ not pool time and the whole week in Sedona was too cold for a pool also. Thinking vacation in Arizona, we'd have a little R&R in a pool. He apologized and said that had we booked directly through the hotel they would have informed us ahead of time so there would be no surprises and because I went through a third party booking you basically get what you get. I did call the hotel first about that night and they did not mention anything about the closed pool to me, they only confirmed the pool's hours and that it was heated etc. I do doubt that had I booked through them that they would have told me prior to booking only because they didn't even know about it when we checked in. The manager did however, comp us breakfast in our room the next morning which he did not have to do, but he did and we left feeling that at least he did attempt to make things right. The breakfast was delivered promptly, hot, fresh and extremely delicious. We ate it on our balcony and enjoyed it thoroughly. The people working the front desk told us that they do occasionally close the pool area for private affairs. So if you are booking here, please know there is a risk you may not be able to use the pool. Other than that we had a nice stay, and although the use of the pool was important to us, it may be a non-issue with others, petty in fact. But everyone's vacation is a very personal thing.

Reviewed May 9, 2008

The room was beautiful and the property very nice. We had booked a king room overlooking the pool, but when we walked out on our balcony, the pool area was wall to wall young people partying to loud music provided by a DJ. There was no way we could enjoy the pool or our balcony. The bellman said the music would stop at 5:00, and the DJ did stop, but then recorded music continued into the night. Great place for 20 yr-olds to dance, drink and hook up. On the other side of our room a charity auction was set up and the live music there started about 6:00 but did end at 11:00. We did not complain, just shut the doors to keep the music to a tolerable level and crashed. The room service for dinner was good. But the next morning we decided to go to the restaurant for breakfast since the tables sitting outside looked so comfortable. When we arrived we were told that the empty tables outside were reserved and there were a few tables inside (dark). As we left to find another place for breakfast, cars of people were arriving for Sunday brunch, the pool area was once again filling up and the atmosphere was already gearing up for a party. This might have been okay if we were looking for a party, but we were not.

2  Thank cruisingblue
Reviewed May 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Valley Ho for a couple of days in April and absolutely loved it. I think they call this style of hotel "happy chic". The Hotel is a very pleasant with beautiful grounds and mid-century modern rooms. My favorite part of the room was the back patio area and lounge chair. During our stay we took full advantage of the pool, spa and gym. All were very nice with every amenity you could ask for. I'm sad our stay wasn't longer!

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We spent a long weekend in Scottsdale at the Valley Ho. Nice hip property with great access to the trolley and within walking distance to bars and restaurants. Be careful of the Executive Suites on the far end of the property. Very nice two bedroom suites with a gigantic deck. The only problem is the deck overlooked Indian School road and a major intersection. You are so close you can see right in the vechicles as the pass by your room, loud car radios, and honking horns. Get a room near the front of the hotel or pool area for less car noise. Other than that issue the hotel was great and we enjoyed our stay and will come back again in a room near the front of the property.