“Friendly Fun and good value”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Spent 9 days here- Weekends are mega busy by the pool with a definitely adult vibe. Mid week was more relaxed. A nice bar was pleasantly buzzing each evening but not overcrowded. Spacious rooms - great big tub too!
The spa was good value mid week too with half price massages.
Staff all very friendly-I'd happily go back or recommend this palce

Room Tip: Go for a tower room and if you want a quiet room ask to face west [ not over the pool]
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

We appreciate your review! I'm not sure how much of Downtown Scottsdale you explored, but there's a free trolley that stops right by the hotel that goes around the area. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We went for a group 40th bday.....rooms were clean and spacious, the grounds were well kept. The vibe by the pool was great!! I would NOT recomend bringing kids at least during the weekend. The pool is an adult party scene with GREAT live music on sat and a DJ sun....SUPER fun, but not a quiet and tranquil place. Get down there early to get chairs where u want them...have fun!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

We appreciate your review! It sounds like you all had a fun time.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Arrived on a Sat afternoon, room was not ready so they take your phone number and you can enjoy some sun time by the pool. We changed and enjoyed the sun and drinks by the pool, $17.00 for 5 Heineken beers. Nachos were good too. DJ played while lots of young 20ish age people enjoying themselves, the waitress was very attentive and always supply you with ice water.
We were happy with the room, only draw back was the small fridge did not work, they said they did not work, because of freezing problems, I think it was that they don't want you to purchase food from the Circle K store, like cheap beer. Its all about using their restaurant for food, that's just my view. I love their round hand soap.
The Valley Ho is situated at the start of the art district, a couple blocks of buildings with tons of wonderful art.
If you go out the drive way and turn left there is a free trolley that runs every 10 or 15 mins from 11:00 to 6:00 pm. and it has super friendly staff that work on the trolley, they take you all over Scottsdale, and as far as the Fashion Mall, great stores there if you like shopping. Just ask the driver anything about Scottsdale, very helpful.
My husband dined at the ZuZu restaurant for lunch, he said the burger and onion rings were excellent. We would search the town for new restaurants every night.
We ate breakfast at the paradise bakery cafe, very good its like Tim Hortons in Canada.
Grimaldi"s for Pizza, awesome fire baked thin crust, close to Valley Ho.
Great Family run Italian restaurant on the corner of Main and Scottsdale.
A reasonable restaurant called The Grapevine on Brown Rd, Jumbo shrimp, excellent, Super nachos and chili good pricing.
We also signed up for a walking dinner tour, Zack was our tour guide, very personable and informative. We had appies and visited some wonderful eatery's like The House Brasserie, Malee's Thai Bistro, my favorite, Su Vino Winery great appies and wine, The Saguaro, and Distrito for dessert and coffee or Tea, We were stuffed. Highly recommend this restaurant crawl at the beginning of your visit, so you know the great places to eat, I found it on the internet at Tunestub and booked before we left, they also do lunch tours.
Sorry, my trip was a lot about the food, we would defiantly go back to the Valley Ho enjoyed the wonderful service and excellent resort style hotel. Take a cab over the limo ride, much cheaper, about $19.00 to get to the airport Limo was 28 plus tip.

Room Tip: Room 1408 is a cabana room, nicely situated across from the pool with a patio, a cushy double deck c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review! If you can provide more information about your room, I can have our engineering department take a look at the fridge in your room to ensure it is working properly. I love Grimaldi's; great choice! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

great spot to stay when visiting Taliesin West. high design beautiful building and hollywood history.
good restaurant but wait staff service lacking. other service and concierge top drawer. caution on the valet parking as I believe my rental car was damaged here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review! I'd love more information about your visit so we can address any services issues in the restaurant with our manager. We have some newer employees and want to ensure that service levels are up to our standards. We would also like more information about your valet concerns. Damage to cars is highly uncommon; however, if you would like to contact our valet company they can assist you with filing a report. The driveway and garage have video cameras and we can review the footage. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This hotel was great on many levels:

It is a short ride from the airport. It is within walking distance of many restaurants and galleries. I'd recommend the new Brasserie and the Sugar Bowl for desserts.

Pool area: best part of the hotel- tons of chairs, lots of sunlight, lots of shade if you like it, poolside service, etc. The pool area also played music. It wasn't the best music, but it wasn't offensive either (I'd say it was light rock- not annoying techno/Vegas stuff).

Crowd: a handful of kids here and there, but this did not feel like a kid place. Lots of people from a wedding while we were there, a convention of a pizza chain, and other couples like ourselves.

Food at the bar was pretty good, cocktails were also good. Not the cheapest, but for the convenience of having a fun, mid-century modern hotel bar without having to leave the hotel, I'd say it balances out.

Staff: friendly and helpful.

Grounds: really lovely. Stayed in the two-story building facing the parking lot. Despite the parking lot view (trees and shrubs veiled it) the room was spacious, and fairly quiet at night.

Only negative I have to add is that there was a cockroach in our room the last day. While I feel this could probably happen anywhere and the place was super clean, I felt the front desk person whom we told could have been a bit more attentive to how disturbing this can be for a guest.

Despite that, I would highly recommend this place and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool may actually be quiet because the pool is closed at night. Pools facing in avoi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

We appreciate your review! I also love the Sugar Bowl; it's been around since the 50s. I will review your comment about our front desk with our front desk manager. Our housekeeping team does a great job of keeping rooms clean and a cockroach is certainly not common, but I apologize that the front desk employee was not more attentive to this issue for you. It's important to us that you feel comfortable in your room.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here the second weekend in March with my 2 adult daughters. I was in Scottsdale for a conference at the hotel & my daughters planned to go to the Cactus League spring training games.

First, the good. Basically, we loved the hotel. It is a beautiful, architecturally unique property with gorgeous palm trees, flowers and landscaping. The rooms were lovely. My first room faced an unattractive parking lot & the front desk immediately moved us to a prettier room when I politely requested a change. The desk staff is friendly, efficient and a lot of fun. Kudos front desk.

The pool is fabulous although our experience was probably better because the weather was beautiful but the crowd pretty light. I'm guessing it's a different experience when the chairs are full. Food/bar service terrific. We loved our lizard day sunning by the lovely pool.

Rooms are really nice. Spacious, airy, great amenities, super bathroom. Room service is prompt and food delicious.

We also loved the Zuzu restaurant & bar. The concierge was kind of the opposite of friendly/helpful, so we didn't really find any restaurants that we liked better than Zuzu. So we hung out there. A lot. The menu is simple but varied with really well-prepared food. The wait staff and bartenders are young, friendly, funny & talented. The weekend of our stay, the hotel was busy with my conference people, a couple of bachelorette parties and lots of spring training baseball fans. Everyone hung around the Zuzu bar all evening. It was a pleasantly noisy, fun experience.

My only criticism other than the grumpy concierge is the spa. It is beyond horrible. Really, really awful. My daughters live in another city & mani/pedis are one of our favorite girlie routines whenever we get together. The spa only does one mani/pedi at a time. What? What fun is a mani/pedi all by yourself? I should have known better but it was downhill from there. First, the mani/pedi is "dry." OK, Arizona is dry. Really dry. Nothing feels better than a warm bubblebath for your toes. Why would anyone want a dry mani/pedi? I've never had a "professional" dry mani/pedi. Never again. Basically, it's a lady putting nail polish on dirty hands & feet. Disgusting. There was also a limited color selection & the spa is so dark it wasn't until I got outside that I saw I'd picked a polish with sparkles. Also, the wax lady isn't "comfortable" doing bikini waxes. What? Oh, and there's the mandatory 20% gratuity. Shameful. There were multiple bachelorette parties at the hotel when I was there -- why would you not have a decent nail service and an aesthetician who doesn't recoil at the idea of a bikini wax? The whole "spa experience" is gross, overpriced and not guest-friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Paamelaa
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Our concierges are happy to recommend a number of establishments outside the hotel and we keep an updated list of options; I’d like to learn more about your experience as this is atypical. I’m sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the spa. We promote our nail services as being performed in a private treatment room, though with advance notice we can accommodate two services in our double treatment room. As the spa instructs guests to shower before receiving the pedicure, it is a very sanitary treatment. Additionally, hands and feet are washed and sanitized inside the treatment room, and a full scrub helps to remove dead skin. Also included is massage work, trimming of the nails and cuticles, and moisturizer application with a paraffin sealant. We have over 70 colors of butter LONDON polish, and treatment rooms have natural light as well as a strong overhead light. All of our aestheticians are trained and licensed in waxing. While we do not offer Brazilian waxes, we do offer bikini waxes at the spa. I’m not sure which type of service was requested, but if ever a guest is looking for a service we do not offer we are happy to recommend a nearby establishment that does. If there are any concerns regarding waxing, we’d love more information. Please note that we also list the 20% service charge in all areas where we promote our services, and this is confirmed through phone and email confirmations by spa staff. While we understand that some may not agree with a mandatory service charge, it is noted multiple times to ensure there is no surprise for our guests. We hope that you will visit the hotel again. There are a lot of great restaurants, shops, and art galleries to explore in Downtown Scottsdale. If you’d like to get a nail service for three or more guests at once and prefer a seated experience, we recommend Steven Paul Salon just down the street.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale. The staff were very accommodating and polite. Our room overlooked the courtyard and we loved it. This was a holiday with four friends and siblings traveling together. The hotel put us all in one area, which made the stay even more enjoyable. We had one minor issue with the hotel and talked to them about it, and they were very responsive. We loved the atmosphere that was created by the retro design. The location was fabulous in that it was a short walk to old Scottsdale and a short drive to many interesting sites. Thank you Valley Ho.

Room Tip: We had a room with no tub but a huge walk-in shower - great. Rooms overlooking the courtyard are q...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review! It sounds like you had a fun holiday. We hope to see you again.