“Love this place”

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Forget all the others in Scottsdale...

This place is a mid-century modern style oasis! Just steps from all of old town Scottsdale and that free trolly that takes you all aound town.

The lobby bar is great. The restaurant is amazing. (TRY THE WAFFLES at breakfast- I don't event like waffles and these rocked!) Trader Vics is also on property for something different.

I had a bungalo suite room and highly recommend it. These rooms open to a private bungalo just far enough from the pool. The bungalo can also be sealed up tight, patio doors open- and it's like your room is double the size!

Appreciated the ipod dock in the room as well.

Great place for all ages but kids won't appreciate all of the little touches- so let's leave them at home!

I said when I was there- "I have never been so pleasantly surprised by a hotel in my life!"

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DJWally
Write a ReviewReviews (1,701)

Reviewed March 31, 2008

I recently stayed at the Valley Ho, and could not have been more impressed with the hotel. The rooms were super cute, and I loved the retro feel. The pool area was great - like a party, and getting a cabana was definitely worth it. Food at the hotel was also great and not overpriced. I definitely recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We arrived having reserved a cabana king room and were upgraded when they had overbooked our rooms. Since it was a reunion and we had requested 3 of the 10 cabana rooms since we knew they would be close together this was acceptable but annoying. Plus, int he upgraded room the television wasn't working properly and even though we were told this was a high end room, strips of rubber were hanging down 24 inches from the door frame and needed to be repaired.

We then asked the concierge for directions to a wine shop and were sent to the Walgreens a 20 minute walk to discover theydid not sell alcohol. 40 minutes later we arrive baack at the hotel to be told there was a wine shop they knew was open two blocks away. No need to call, they had already checked this out. Again, wine shop was closed at 5pm on Friday evening. An hour and 10 minutes later we asked if we could just buy some champagne from the bar nad take it to our room since the mini fridge only had half bottles. We wne tot the bar, ordered and were assured by front staff that they would take care of it and us and send it up. We tried to take it up with us, but htey wanted an ice bucket, etc. 15 minutes later we recieved the wine with a $30 room service delivery fee. After havign sent us on a wild goose chase all over town.

Pool scene was lively and fun and had good service. Zuzu's was slow for breakfast bu thad good food. Also slow when we stopped by for midnight drinks - both nights. And not because it was packed.

We also asked if they would call us a cab to take us to Tempe. they put us in what we thought was a cab and he drove us around for 45 minutes although we were going to a large park 5 miles away. He couldn't find it even though I had printed directions frotm eh hotel. He then charged us $49 for the fare. On the way home, a cab cost us $12 and took less than ten minutes.

Feel like place is young and hip but needs some experienced concierges, valets, and staff to make experience worthwhile. You don't want to pay $1150 for two nights and feel like you are completely on your own.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank cbernard1sc
alexjade, General Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2008

Dear CBernard
Thank you for choosing Hotel Valley Ho for you March reunion.
It is true that our Cabana Rooms are in high demand over weekends due to their proximity to our OH Pool, as on this weekend we did find ourselves in an overbooked situation which we appologize for this inconvienience and took the liberty of upgrading you to one of our Tower Suites, which at over 1350 sq. ft. are our most luxurious accommodations. Judy our Les Clefs d'Or Concierge and I have reviewed availability of wine stores in close proximity of our property and I assure you necessary training has taken place. We offer a variety of transportation services which include sedan, limo and taxi on request however to best service our guests needs our base service is via sedans always available on our driveway.
Kind regards,
Andrew

Reviewed March 28, 2008

I love the Ho. My husband and I brought a group of friends for our second-straight Spring Training voyage to Arizona, and all were pleased with our stay. The hotel was filled with Chicago White Sox and some other pro baseball players (although we're Cubs' fans, we all recognized the Sox - who were staying at the hotel during a three-game stint in the Phoenix area). So, that was hilarious. I would definitely recommend this place for a Spring Training trip.

The pool is a fun spot, although there were a lot more kids here this year than last - maybe because of Spring Break??? (I dunno, but this place would not be my first choice for a family vacation. It's pretty pricey and has a cool/retro/martini-drinking vibe.) For the most part, though, there are a lot of good-looking 20- and 30-somethings basking around the pool and sucking down fruity cocktails. Jay and Justin (bartenders) were hilarious and kept our glasses filled.

My spa experience was really good. Good 60-min mani/pedi appt, and AWESOME hour-long massage (finishes with warm robe just out of the heater... ).

We always get the Cabana King style of room. It's great if you plan to hang out by the pool... you basically just walk out and you're there - voila! You're not SO close, though, that the pool disturbs you. (None of the rooms are big unless you shell out the big bucks for the suite, though... )

The location of the Ho is good. It's in Old Town Scottsdale and you can actually walk to some nearby spots for dinner (a good idea if you've been sucking down fruity cocktails at the pool all day) or take the free trolley.

Only critiques - The bartenders in the main lobby bar have a bit of 'tude. (Not sure why... ). Our room service breakfast was good again this year, but we had a couple hiccups (forgot one item one day, only brought one set of utensils another day).

Great place - I love it. I didn't want to leave (again) this year.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We're at the Valley Ho for business for 5 days. The hotel offers complimentary valet and check-in was simple. The hotel has a main building and several garden style (two story) buildings spread across the facility grounds all anchored by the main building.

The location is great with shopping and restaurants within walking distance. A free trolley is also available. The decor is sleek and contemporary with a retro feel. The room is wonderful. It is large and airy with a huge balcony with a chaise lounge and a cafe style table and chairs. The bathroom is large and extremely clean. Very well adorned and decorated with polished chrome accents. I love the sliding doors for the bath and toilet area. It also comes with really cool mood lighting which glows through the frosted wall at night. It's a great night light but they should've added a dimmer for it. The bed, pillows and linens are amazingly soft and very inviting.

There is no shortage of electric plugs which is one of my biggest issue with most hotel rooms. I suppose this is in result of a recent renovation which modernized the facility quite a bit. Our room came with an LCD TV with a plug for my iphone, and a Mellita single serving coffee maker. Another great touch is the desk on wheels. It is a very convenient way to work around the room without being confined where to specific desk area within the room.

The room/guest service could be better as can the wait staff at the ZuZu restaurant. Food is great as is the wine list. I haven't tried the pool as of yet, but maybe I'll give it and the spa a try before the end of our 5 day stay. I might consider the Tibetan Yoginic Massage which is suppose to be a life changing experience. If your a dog lover and want to pamper your dog, the spa offers a doggie massage. The hotel also offers bike rentals for the day or by the hour.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2008

My wife and I needed a short getaway and stayed at the Valley Ho for 4 nights. The retro look of the Hotel and the rooms took us back to the 50's and 60's, but with all the modern amenities. The location of the Hotel couldn't be better, right at the end of Main Street, close to everything---restaurants, galleries, shopping,etc. The property was beautifully landscaped and maintained, with the sweetest smelling flowers you could imagine. All of the staff was extremely helpful and responded to every request. Great front desk, concierge and valet. Ate once at Cafe Zu Zu and food was very good and reasonably priced for the area. Seems like the locals also like to get away for the weekend at this spot. Only minor drawback was the water pressure in the shower, but this could certainly be overlooked for all the good things the Valley Ho had going for it.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2008

We stayed for four nights, one of us on business, the other pleasure. And it was a pleasure. The room was large and well decorated. The lounger on the balcony had a lovely thick mattress, perfect for reading the daily paper. Location is great, lots of great galleries and restaurants near by. We only ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The fruit plate is enormous, more than enough for two. So refreshing not to have a buffet heaving with unappetizing food. The staff were all very friendly and the pool attendant brought ice water over without prompting. He served some good cocktails too. Similar heavenly loungers around the pool. Valet parking was very efficient and friendly. The gym was well equiped and appeared to be in good repair. Spa treatment was extremely relaxing (lomi-lomi body treatment/massage).
If you want to save a bit, the Circle K around the corner has a good selection of wine and snacks.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business