“Saturday Party in the desert”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego
“Saturday Party in the desert”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at "The Ho" on the advice of some friends who are regulars when they visit Phoenix. The Saturday Pool Party is worth the price of admission. Amazingly, they don't rape you for drinks at the pool - $3 for 16 oz bottle/ cans at the pool. It is a great crowd and very relaxed.
The hotel decor is 50's but in a cool way. I think it the rooms are a ittle overpriced but it is in a good area and a lot of fun. I would stay at the hotel on a Saturday again and maybe find something else for Friday Night or Sunday Night.

Room Tip: Overlook the pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank John C
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We appreciate your review. I'm glad you had a fun time at one of our Session Saturday pool parties! We also have live music on Fridays in the summer. We do have very reasonable pricing at the pool, including daily drink specials. Room rates start at $99 in the summer, and occasionally we will run even better specials. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for the best deals.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for a night before starting a business trip in the area. Wished I'd booked this hotel for my entire stay. The decor in the public spaces (lobby, ZuZu lounge) is retro cool. The guest room I stayed in (4201) was well located on the second floor with with a pool view and a huge balcony (chaise lounge and a table and two chairs). The room is very spacious. It has a comfortable bed, a counter spanning the entire left wall (great for two people to spread their stuff out), and a round table for getting work done comfortably. The bathroom is very cool in design, also spacious, with a 'mood light' that reflects into the bedroom through the glass walls. The hotel is well located, a stone's throw from Main Street in Old Town Scottdale. It's close to the airport and major attractions, like the desert botanical gardens.

Room Tip: The tower looks nice but the two buildings adjacent to/facing the pool are great from a view and poo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
I'm glad you were able to stay with us, even if just for one night! You stayed in a Pool View Guest Room, which is identical to our Signature (standard) Guest Room but overlooking the pool. So the lengthy counter, table, and patio are a feature in many of our rooms. Thanks for your comments, come and visit us again!
Toronto
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Was attending a conference at this hotel and it felt like a vacation. Amazing rooms, beautifully updated and a pool with great bar service. You could feel the 50's vibe but it was all new chic! And the service was relaxed but attentive. Can't wait to go back on vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lanai overlooking the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JuliaClaire
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you were able to get that "vacation" feel even though you were here for a conference. Happy travels!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I recently got back from staying at Valley Ho with a girl friend and both of us were impressed. Yes, all hotels have their flaws but the good definitely outweighed any bads I found. Of course, the first thing you notice is the decor. It's a fun, funky contemporary spin on the retro era that the hotel was originally built in. I personally really loved it. We had great service all around from checking in to Cafe Zuzu to the concierge and spa & pool staff. Everyone who worked there was really friendly, welcoming and helpful. The rooms were clean & spacious and I enjoyed having a private patio. I also appreciated the hotels efforts to go green.

If you stay at the hotel, I suggest walking around the property. It's really quite pretty and we would have missed out had we not taken the tour to get the arts & cultural history of the hotel (Ace our tour guide rocked btw).

We ate breakfast daily at Cafe Zuzu, we partook in the spa service (which was amazing- even if you dont book service as a guest you have access to the gym and sauna) and we also had a pool cabana rental.

I was very impressed with the hotel and would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in Scottsdale. It's in a great location- walking distance to Old Town and Downtown Scottsdale.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ToniW206
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
I'm glad you were able to take the tour with Ace! She is awesome. Thank you for your review and we hope your travels will bring you here again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've stayed in several hotels in the area since my brother moved to Phoenix, and this is my favorite. Hip, clean, plenty of space.....

The room we had in our most recent stay was absolutely fantastic - great views of the sunrise coming over the mountain range, comfortable bed, nice balcony, and a more-than-adequate fitness facilty. The staff was friendly as well.

I like that it has a hip vibe to it, but is not an over-the-top party stop. I want to SLEEP in the hotel I stay at, which has not been a problem the several times I have stayed her. Yes, during the summers, they may have an afternoon pool party - but nothing like the W or other true "party" hotels that go in to the wee hours of the night/morning.

Finally, the breakfast in the hotel was great - the fruit was some of the freshest I've had. You can eat healthy if you'd like, or you can be bad. I really enjoy staying at Valley Ho...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BostonBF
Thank you for your kind comments! We do want to provide all of our guests with a good night's sleep. I also love the fruit in ZuZu; we use local, organic ingredients whenever possible and I think it really shows in the cuisine.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I booked this hotel with high expectations. When I checked in initially, I thought the lobby was charming staff was friendly and the room was well decorated and spacious. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed stains on the curtains and gum on the floor (which I noticed after I stepped on it). I was moved to another room that did not have a working toilet and shorted lights. I was then moved to a third room which had the fancy tub in the middle of the room, but with a shower attachment that flew right off when turned on. I was told by two different people at the front desk that there was free internet in the lobby. When I couldn't log onto the wireless network in the lobby, I was told by a third front desk person that complimentary internet was only available in the business center. Even when I logged onto the hotel computer, the internet was very slow. The staff was apologetic for the hotel's shortcomings; however, this hotel still needs some work. Unfortunately, I don't think that I would book this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TXCRA
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We apologize for the issues you had during your stay. These are certainly not typical for us. Our housekeeping team is very thorough and we are reviewing why there were some areas that were missed. It seems that there was some confusion at the front desk regarding our Internet, which our front desk management will immediately address with the team to ensure they are all on the same page (complimentary Internet is available in the business center). We did increase our bandwidth to ensure that we can accommodate more guests using more devices on our network, and typically the speed is very high. We have very competitive offerings when it comes to the amount of devices we can accommodate on our network; we definitely want all of our guests to have reliable, speedy Internet access. Our director of guest operations will be reaching out to you today. We hope that you will return for another visit so we can show you what the hotel is really about. Thank you.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Ok, to start off with a few good points: the hotel is cute, clean for the most part, and when you do get someone's attention they are very kind and polite.
However, for the most part my experience here has been negative.
When we first checked in we were startled to find someone else using a key to enter our room! Turned out they had accidentally assigned the room to two parties! When we called the front desk to let them know what had happened they hardly acknowledged the problem and didn't try to make us feel better or safer about staying in their hotel! Boo! I don't like the feeling that they might give a key to just anyone to walk in my hotel room.  Later, when we came back from dinner we found that our keys for the room no longer worked.  I was happy they had changed the lock, but they could have informed us and given us new keys first!
Secondly wifi is at least ten bucks a day, but in our room we could hardly ever connect to it, worst time connecting to the wifi I've ever had in a hotel AND it's not included?!
Thirdly, we left our room for hours at a time in the middle of the afternoonwith the "time to tidy up" sign on the door, but when we returned 2-3 hours later nobody had been there.  This happened two days in a row!
I was really surprised by the negative experience, the hotel is really cute and fun, but the customer service needs definite work.  Oh, but the valet and bellboys were the best! The rest of the hotel staff could learn something from their customer service techniques.  They were always friendly, chatty, and willing to help.
Overall if customer service could be improved at this hotel I would give it a 5-star rating.  Some tips to the manager: if someone accidentally receives a key to a hotel room a guest is already inhabiting, at least give them a comp drink at the bar, or at the VERY LEAST have someone from the front desk run down to the room to apologize and deliver new room keys.  I did not feel safe or comforted by the staff's reaction to this problem.  Also, perhaps employ a larger cleaning staff.  I've been to many hotels, resorts and inns around the country and the world and I have never had to wait so long for my room to be cleaned after I have hung the sign out on my door.  This has to be either an under-staffing or training issue. Lastly, cough up the free wifi or improve the wifi access in the rooms.  It's really abominable to make your guests pay to have access to wifi that's worse than what they could get at starbucks.  I'm picky on customer service, I know, but to me it makes the difference between a long-term patron or a one-time customer.  I will check around for other options the next time I visit.

**I have to retract the previous statement about the "polite" people at the front desk. Shortly after I posted this my mother found a deal to stay 3 nights and get 1 free. We had paid for 3 nights and thought an extra night of rest before driving to VA would do us good.  The woman at the desk was very short with us and very rudely informed us we couldn't stay the extra night despite having pad more each night than they advertised! It's really too bad about the service, I like the hotel, but the customer service here needs a SERIOUS tune-up**

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rachel B
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the mistake upon check-in. The challenge of assigning two parties to the same room rarely occurs, but to be honest, it does sometimes happen. Occasionally when numerous check-ins are occurring at once. We certainly could have done a better job in resolving the matter, and apologize for the inconvenience; this is directly related to why the keys stopped functioning as noted. We will be sure to address this matter with the front office staff to ensure a proper and more empathetic response in the future.
We will also share your notes with the housekeeping staff. We generally clean our accommodations a little later in the day than other properties as this is what our guests typically request....however, any room with a 'clean room' sign should be made a priority. If you wouldn't mind letting us know which room number you were in, we can ensure the proper housekeeper is spoken to. We can also conduct some Internet signal tests to ensure all the access points are functioning properly as we do not receive many complaints about bandwidth/connectivity. Please understand that while Starbucks does provide free WiFi, it is a far more expensive task to provide 240 guestrooms with Internet access to support multiple devices at once. Many of the hotels in our marketplace have a nightly resort service fee charged to all guests that includes Internet. We have found that these fees upset most guests as many of the included items tend to go unused. We try to keep these items on a pay-for-use model so you are not paying for things you don't use. For the final item, I would need to research what rate plan you stayed on. I will also make sure the front desk does a better job of explaining this. If you were staying on a (OTA) wholesale reservation, booked through Expedia, http://Hotels.com, or a similar online travel site, these types of rates cannot be modified during the stay. If you were staying on a different rate plan, please let me know, and I can investigate further. Nonetheless, it should have been explained more thoroughly. I would like to make this up to you, so please let me know when and in which room you stayed, and I will research further. Thank you.