“So relaxing....”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Puerto Rico
“So relaxing....”
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I had never been in Arizona before, and for the 1st experience Valley Ho made it great and relaxing...Went for a 2-day meeting, during a week-end, so not too much time for other social activities, but took some time afterwards to walk to the Old Scottsdale town, so "western"..Expensive all around, but like the free trips to the surroundings and to the Mall by the town Trolley. Went to the Mall twice, great stores, good prices. Breakfast at Zu-Zu good....for dinner, the "Tortilla Factory".-steps from the hotel-...weather was kind of chilly for me - coming from Puerto Rico- so we made it inside, but the patio was cool enough to have a wedding reception going on that night, all umbrellas and tables had their own heater, so it was comfortable...The hotel staff was so friendly that you want to stay longer...the room was spectacular, the bathtub right beside the bed and from where I had a bubble bath and watch TV from there it was great!!! The soap smells so good !!! And the coffee maker it's a espresso one... Meeting rooms were comfortable and catering service was great and menu was good, no wonder is a special place for meetings. If had the chance I'll go back for more days...* Not a place to go with children.....

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AilsaDelgadoMD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Stayed at the Hotel Valley Ho for a two day meeting. I stayed in the lowest tier room and it was quite large. The decor was stylish, but if you're not into modern/funky, this probably is not the place for you. As other travelers have noted, the rooms are furnished with flat panel TVs. The cable selection is extensive and included channels like HBO and Comedy Central. While other travelers have complained about things like overpiced water, etc., I was pleasantly surprised to find that the wifi was free, as was access to the gym. The gym was larger than your typical hotel gym with lots of cardio machines, free weights, etc. As an added bonus, the gym supplies sanitized headphones to use for the TVs. While I did not eat at any of the restaurants, the meeting was catered by the hotel and the food was very good -- much better than what I have had at meetings at some chain hotels. I did not have time to check out the spa, but hope that I will be back so that I can try them out.

Stayed January 2008
Illinois
Reviewed January 8, 2008

We loved this hotel. It's very retro-hip and we expected to see the "rat pack" stroll by at any time. The pool was great, and if you're single, ooh la la... We had a king cabana room -- it was THE best...everything you need, PLUS. Great bedding, fantastic plasma TV, all new everything. The staff was very attentive and the room service perfect. You can walk to many restaurants and shopping, too. I think it's a perfect out of the way location. We also stay on Scottsdale Road at the DoubleTree Paradise Valley (Scottsdale), which we also love for other reasons. But, if you're looking to cool out, get some sun, NO NOISY CHILDREN, this is the place.
Go for it! Also, suggest you call direct and ask for any special rates, as we got the cabana king for about $200 on a Spring Baseball rate.
You need to leave your car with a valet, though, at a charge, so keep that in mind.

• Liked — The retro-hip feel.
  • Disliked — Valet necessary
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SandyShoreIllinois
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed December 15, 2007

The decor and tone of the hotel just aren't the sort of thing I care for. That being said, it was very clean and everyone on staff I encountered was friendly and helpful. The room was large but cinderblock walls leave me totally cold. As do the retro furnishings. But the linens and toiletries were lux and a New York Times is delivered to your door so thumbs up for all of that. There is one of those single-cup coffee makers which I'm sure are very sanitary but I much prefer a small coffeepot.
The hotel provides a business center which is very handy for me as I don't travel with a laptop. The workout room is well equipped. The spa received some sort of award for "best new spa" or something along those lines but I can't imagine why. The facility is clean but small and doesn't have a whirlpool or sauna. However, the massage I received was outstanding.
The concierge tipped me off on one restaurant to avoid and the suggested Thai alternative on Main Street was great and within easy walking distance.

• Liked — Location. Friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Decor.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Farmerville
LI NY
Reviewed December 7, 2007

Definitely a nice hotel, in a good part of town, and a great decor/vibe. This hotel is not the typical Scottsdale hotel/resort with all that stucco and deserty themes. Not that places like that arent nice..but this place has such a high cool factor. The decor rocks, the lobby area is very cool.. great bar restaurant. The rooms are really just a total pleasure from the style, to the flat screen TV, to really nice bathrooms. ( seperate shower and bath)

The staff in my eyes were really nice from the dudes who parked the cars, to the desk staff. There wasnt a ton of help if you are the type who wants your bags taken to the room.. but if you ask I am sure they would oblige.

To be frank about it.. if you are old school in the type of hotel you want and " old world" service you wont get that here. It has a young vibe to it.. and by vibe I dont mean it is a bunch of 20 yo running around ( although they are here at the bar) just the vibe. Can you find a hotel with a bigger pool.. sure... can you find a hotel that is larger and the statf is sort of stiff and kisses your butt? Yes.. but if you want a hot place, with good service, and a really hip vibe..check it out.

The only annoying thing is that there is no self parking at all so you have to valet and if your in and out that can be annoying. But the guys were really quick in getting my car...just have a couple bucks to tip each time...

Otherwise go check this place out

Stayed November 2007
San Diego
Reviewed November 19, 2007

What an unexpectantly fabulous property!! There is a lot to comment about but I'll try to just hit the basics. My boyfriend had been deployed for 4.5 months so while he was gone I planned this little weekend rendezvous get -a -way for his return. One of the girls in my office had talked about how she stayed here months before I even thought of planning this trip. Her review is what sold me on picking this place for our together weekend. WOW! When you first pull up it's not anything of what you expect nor do you expect what you are about to see when you walk through the big glass doors. A very comtemporary twist on the very retro hotel from the colors to the furniture to the food! Check in was easy- rooms are all exterior corridor. I booked us in the studio room- Splash of turquoise, lime green and crisp white! great lighting and the bath soaps and shampoo's smelled wonderful- not your typical hotel hygeine product. ooh and there was a stand alone bathtub in the middle of the room- it was awesome!! but I wa surpised they didn't provide any bubble bath- even trial size- o well- We were greeted in our rooms with an amenity basket stocked with 3 soda pop's and old skool candies like whoppers and chicklet's and stuff. We ate in the Cafe ZuZu for breakfast and for some appetizers.The food was AMAZING.They have 24 hour room serivce, and one night we ordered the meat loaf- OMG it just melted in our mouth's. The food served is a twist on your classics. we layed out by the pool, which was mostly people in their 20's-30's and the older ladies and gents might as well have been in there 20's and 30's. It was a very hip crowd! we also took advantage of the work out room- while we were there and the spa- we had a couples massage and that was a great way to end our trip- ooh did I mention the first night we were there, we were at the Cafe ZuZu bar for happy hour and in walked Wayne Gretzyand they sat done right next to us- now that was a great way to start our trip!!!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SuperOrdie
maine
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I've visited the Valley Ho twice. Both times I was booked there on business by my company. The first time I thought: why the heck did they put me up in this 50's joint? The second time, I realized I really liked the place and now look forward to going there again.

First, it's in a superb location, right next to Scottsdale's Old Town, with art galleries and shopping and great restaurants all within walking distance.

Second, the retro thing: the hotel was intentionally redecorated as a throwback to 50's and 60's decor. The rooms are decked out in aqua, the lobby looks like it came out of the Jetsons TV show, and the menu in the hotel restaurant features meat loaf and beef stroganoff. The rooms are actually very comfortable, with great beds.

My only complaint: the restaurant (Zuzu's, I think it's called) could be a lot better. Breakfast was quite disappointing, with dry pancakes and huge egg dishes meant for giants. I would have liked some dainty entrees for a female-type appetite. There's another restaurant attached to the hotel (Trader Vic's) which is also a traditional favorite from the 60's with "Polynesian" food, which is decent. But I think your best bet for really good dining is to go into Scottsdale.

Overall, Valley Ho is a fun place, and judging by the young attractive crowd that always seems to be hanging around the gorgeous swimming pool, I think it's the hip place to be in Scottsdale. But I'm just a tired business traveler. Still, I could appreciate its amenities as well.

Stayed October 2007