“Not my cup of tea but...”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 15, 2007

The decor and tone of the hotel just aren't the sort of thing I care for. That being said, it was very clean and everyone on staff I encountered was friendly and helpful. The room was large but cinderblock walls leave me totally cold. As do the retro furnishings. But the linens and toiletries were lux and a New York Times is delivered to your door so thumbs up for all of that. There is one of those single-cup coffee makers which I'm sure are very sanitary but I much prefer a small coffeepot.
The hotel provides a business center which is very handy for me as I don't travel with a laptop. The workout room is well equipped. The spa received some sort of award for "best new spa" or something along those lines but I can't imagine why. The facility is clean but small and doesn't have a whirlpool or sauna. However, the massage I received was outstanding.
The concierge tipped me off on one restaurant to avoid and the suggested Thai alternative on Main Street was great and within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Farmerville
There are newer reviews for Hotel Valley Ho

Reviewed December 7, 2007

Definitely a nice hotel, in a good part of town, and a great decor/vibe. This hotel is not the typical Scottsdale hotel/resort with all that stucco and deserty themes. Not that places like that arent nice..but this place has such a high cool factor. The decor rocks, the lobby area is very cool.. great bar restaurant. The rooms are really just a total pleasure from the style, to the flat screen TV, to really nice bathrooms. ( seperate shower and bath)

The staff in my eyes were really nice from the dudes who parked the cars, to the desk staff. There wasnt a ton of help if you are the type who wants your bags taken to the room.. but if you ask I am sure they would oblige.

To be frank about it.. if you are old school in the type of hotel you want and " old world" service you wont get that here. It has a young vibe to it.. and by vibe I dont mean it is a bunch of 20 yo running around ( although they are here at the bar) just the vibe. Can you find a hotel with a bigger pool.. sure... can you find a hotel that is larger and the statf is sort of stiff and kisses your butt? Yes.. but if you want a hot place, with good service, and a really hip vibe..check it out.

The only annoying thing is that there is no self parking at all so you have to valet and if your in and out that can be annoying. But the guys were really quick in getting my car...just have a couple bucks to tip each time...

Otherwise go check this place out

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed November 19, 2007

What an unexpectantly fabulous property!! There is a lot to comment about but I'll try to just hit the basics. My boyfriend had been deployed for 4.5 months so while he was gone I planned this little weekend rendezvous get -a -way for his return. One of the girls in my office had talked about how she stayed here months before I even thought of planning this trip. Her review is what sold me on picking this place for our together weekend. WOW! When you first pull up it's not anything of what you expect nor do you expect what you are about to see when you walk through the big glass doors. A very comtemporary twist on the very retro hotel from the colors to the furniture to the food! Check in was easy- rooms are all exterior corridor. I booked us in the studio room- Splash of turquoise, lime green and crisp white! great lighting and the bath soaps and shampoo's smelled wonderful- not your typical hotel hygeine product. ooh and there was a stand alone bathtub in the middle of the room- it was awesome!! but I wa surpised they didn't provide any bubble bath- even trial size- o well- We were greeted in our rooms with an amenity basket stocked with 3 soda pop's and old skool candies like whoppers and chicklet's and stuff. We ate in the Cafe ZuZu for breakfast and for some appetizers.The food was AMAZING.They have 24 hour room serivce, and one night we ordered the meat loaf- OMG it just melted in our mouth's. The food served is a twist on your classics. we layed out by the pool, which was mostly people in their 20's-30's and the older ladies and gents might as well have been in there 20's and 30's. It was a very hip crowd! we also took advantage of the work out room- while we were there and the spa- we had a couples massage and that was a great way to end our trip- ooh did I mention the first night we were there, we were at the Cafe ZuZu bar for happy hour and in walked Wayne Gretzyand they sat done right next to us- now that was a great way to start our trip!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SuperOrdie
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I've visited the Valley Ho twice. Both times I was booked there on business by my company. The first time I thought: why the heck did they put me up in this 50's joint? The second time, I realized I really liked the place and now look forward to going there again.

First, it's in a superb location, right next to Scottsdale's Old Town, with art galleries and shopping and great restaurants all within walking distance.

Second, the retro thing: the hotel was intentionally redecorated as a throwback to 50's and 60's decor. The rooms are decked out in aqua, the lobby looks like it came out of the Jetsons TV show, and the menu in the hotel restaurant features meat loaf and beef stroganoff. The rooms are actually very comfortable, with great beds.

My only complaint: the restaurant (Zuzu's, I think it's called) could be a lot better. Breakfast was quite disappointing, with dry pancakes and huge egg dishes meant for giants. I would have liked some dainty entrees for a female-type appetite. There's another restaurant attached to the hotel (Trader Vic's) which is also a traditional favorite from the 60's with "Polynesian" food, which is decent. But I think your best bet for really good dining is to go into Scottsdale.

Overall, Valley Ho is a fun place, and judging by the young attractive crowd that always seems to be hanging around the gorgeous swimming pool, I think it's the hip place to be in Scottsdale. But I'm just a tired business traveler. Still, I could appreciate its amenities as well.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I recently stayed at the Hotel Valley Ho as I was attending the Scottsdale Music Festival in the area. As other writers have said, this is a fabulous hotel with a fun, retro vibe. The decor reminded me of the old Jetsons cartoon (guess I'm telling my age). The staff was friendly and helpful. My room had a large flat-screen TV and the bellman hooked up a CD/DVD component (available upon request). Twice after 10:00pm, I pressed the wrong button on the remote and scewed everything up (telling my age again). The bellman returned to fix my mistake, each time without complaint. I also loved the Red Flower amenities in the bathroom. I checked out Red Flower's website and they have natural, top-of-the-line products. Great touch! OK, so I did see a couple of crawling critters in my room. One looked like a cricket, the other a catepillar thing. But, so what!! It wasn't the case where it seemed like the place was overun with bugs. I guess it just goes with the being in such a hot climate and having a room on the ground floor. I simply ushered them out of my room and continued with the fun! This was an excellent stay and I would definitely return for a longer period.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank LIJPhilly
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My husband and I were looking for a weekend get away so we choose Scottsdale, and the Valley Ho in particular. It was awesome. We would highly recommend the Valley Ho. The place has this cool 40's vibe, the grounds of the hotel are immaculate, our room was spotless, the bed comfy, the pool was warm and fun with plenty of chairs and attractive people, and our lunch at Oh Pool Bar was awesome. I also recieved the Lomi Lomi message at the spa and it was out of this world and well worth the money. We had drinks at Trader Vics one night -- the drinks were potent and the bartenders were fun. The hotel is in the perfect location. We walked to Old Town to shop and have drinks at the Rusty Spur. Scottsdale is clean and had great galleries, beautiful people, fabulous restaurants and funky bars (we really like Cowboy Ciao and the bar, Drift).

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eviltwinfawn
Reviewed September 18, 2007

Mid century modern meets Jetson style in the 21st century.

The property is pet-friendly and hottie friendly. If you're a single guy (or even girl), you'll love the eye-candy at the bar on the weekends. STUNNING.

The rooms are spacious and have such nice little tricks that many cooler hotels are employing like colored mood lighting in the bathrooms and the standard plasmas.

I had a room on the first floor next to the pool and hottub. While I feared I'd be awakened by partiers in the hottub, nary a sound was heard. I'm not sure if secuirty makes sure there's not a lot of noise, but the dog and I both slept well.

The spa was great but they lacked a bit in the customer service (failed to confirm with me, but whatever, I knew I had to be there).

I'd suggest the Ahi white castle thingees to eat while sitting in the bar people watching. Also, they have some delicious smelling lotion in the public restrooms and I suggest purchasing some. Heavenly.

Valet is quick and super responsive, check-in is flawless and even when I had to call for my pet-kit, they rushed it over as if I needed it or the god would die. LOL

Valley Ho is part Phoenician, part W. But only the good parts of both.

You'll love it.