“Pretty great, even with mistakes”

Holiday Inn & Suites Scottsdale North - Airpark
Ranked #26 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
San Antonio, TX
“Pretty great, even with mistakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

Really nice hotel, off the beaten path, close to the 101, but no noise or traffic issues. Rooms are beautiful and well-maintained. Stayed during their deep-clean, which led to an issue. While we were out for dinner, someone entered our room, which was obvious because the tv and lights we had left on were turned off when we returned. When we complained to the management we were given the typical "I have no idea, I'll have to check" lackluster response we expected. However, when the sales director caught up with us at breakfast, she was concerned and contrite, and offered us a nice package to make us feel better about the whole thing. I agree with her that it was a mistake prompted by the deep cleaning that happened to be going on in our section of the hotel that night, but we really just wanted someone to look into it, and she did. The rest of the staff was very friendly, too. The only thing they could really improve is breakfast. It's decent, and they change it up, but would another toaster and waffle maker be such a big investment? It would really make a difference when trying to have breakfast at busy times. It leaves a little to be desired when compared to breakfast at comparable properties.

Room Tip: Hotel has an atrium above the breakfast area, so rooms near it (as ours was) could be noisy. Make s...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Melvis_and_Laugh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

We are from Canada and travel to Arizona at Christmas and March break to get away from our cold weather. We have stayed at this hotel many times and love it. The cleanliness, staff, accommodations and the proximity to everything we need is why we keep coming back.
This is a hotel we can count on to be exactly what we need every time. I just booked our stay for this Christmas and can't wait.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I chose staying at Wingate because It was close to a wedding that I was attending. Upon check in the staff was very friendly. The room was very clean and I was impressed by the overall friendliness of everyone there. On Saturday morning I went downstairs to get the breakfast at around 8:55. When I noticed that the eggs were hard and stuck to the pan and there was no bacon, I requested some bacon from the lady that was working there. Her response was that they were going to close the buffet soon so she wasn't going to make anymore. I felt that was pretty rude and working in the hospitality business I know for a fact all she needed to do was walk into the kitchen and put some in the microwave for a few minutes. Needless to say I didn't go back for breakfast the next day because I didn't want to deal with that lady. Monday I tried again and encountered a lady named Elizabeth that was working the buffet. Not only was she completely opposite of the first lady I met but went out of her way to help out. I was very impressed by her. Had it not been for the encounter I had with the original lady at the buffet on Saturday morning I would have given this hotel a perfect score. My recommendation for them is to get rid of the one lady or move her into an area where she is not involved with the customer. As for Elizabeth, give her a raise.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

We checked in for a week stay while undergoing spinal surgery nearby. They had our suite available earlier than the 3pm check in, which was appreciated. Our suite is large and nicely decorated. We have a two burner cooktop, a little sink, coffee maker, cookware, dishes and silverware, microwave, and a full size refrigerator. The hotel is well insulated so it is nice and quiet. The pool area is pleasant and comfortable. The included breakfast is fresh and includes some hot choices as well as the usual continental fare. The workout room is open 24 hrs and is clean and well maintained. There is a computer room with a printer and fax machine which are also complementary. Free coffee and tea all day and night and fresh cookies in the afternoon, too! There is a complementary shuttle between 7am and 7pm that will transport within a 5 mile radius. We used it a couple of times, but we had a car so didn't need to relie on it for transportation. If I had to come up with a negative, it would be that the cleaning crew usually didn't get to our room till late afternoon when my daughter needed to be resting after her surgeries. Otherwise, everything was wonderful, the staff extremely helpful and friendly, the location, convenient to where we needed to be and to shopping and restaurants, we couldn't have asked for more.
Tip: if you like Thai food, the Thai House across Raintree past the Walmart has yummy curries and soups!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ArizonaMomcat
God's chosen county of Lancashire - England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I stayed here for two nights of a 39 night road trip.

Easy to find, in a decent quiet area and conveniently placed for accessing Phoenix and further afield.

I had a room on the third floor - it was quiet, modern & spotlessly clean and comfortable.

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful; I'd also got a "stay two nights and save 20%" deal online.

Breakfast was the usual cereal, toast & waffles - although the pastries/cake went down particularly well - not sure exactly what it was, but it was a real treat!

An enjoyable stay - many thanks...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
ScottsdaleWingateGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Scottsdale North - Airpark, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear Dominico76,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Wingate by Wyndham Scottsdale. It is wonderful to hear that not only were you able to take advantage of our advanced purchase deals on our Wingate website, but you also received the same outstanding value and level of service you would expect to recieve with other higher priced locations. I certainly hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels, and we hope to see you again soon!

French Polynesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

breakfast is good in the morning, the facilities are very clean and well kept up, first time in a wingate and the housekeeping staff must be the best I've ever seen!!!

Internet in room real bad connection, need to work on that one, nice renovated pool area

Just one staff not helpful but the rest go out of their way to help you

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear HeleneP,

Thank you so much for your review of the Wingate by Wyndham Scottsdale! I am excited to hear that you enjoyed your first Wingate experience, and that you were able to witness firsthand the pride our housekeeping department has in regards to cleanliness at our property. I am terribly sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with one of our staff members, and I encourage you to contact me directly at 480.922.6500 so that I can get additional information to ensure this problem does not continue. Our staff is meticulously selected based on friendly, outgoing, and compassionate personalities who live our hospitality promise, so it is disappointing to hear someone fell short in this case. I look forward to discussing this matter with you in more detail at your earliest convenience, and hope we get the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future!

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

One of the best hotels around. Staff are friendly and very helpful. Complimentary Self serve breakfast has a good variety of hot/cold foods -all well presented. Rooms are a good size and well maintained. There is a great pool and jacuzzi for guest use as well as s gym. Complimentary tea/coffee is available all day long & free cookies available in the afternoon. Hotel is conveniently located to shopping centers, restaurants and tourist attractions. Only down fall was that I found the air con in the room to be quite noisy. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Madjude,

Thank you so much for your high recommendation for places to stay while in Scottsdale! I am so glad to hear you were able to enjoy our property as well as the other wonderful attractions surrounding our hotel. I am also happy to hear you had the chance to taste our delicious hot cookies in the afternoon! We hope to see you again soon!