“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I was visiting my sister's family in Scottsdale last week and visited Blue Agave after one of my nephew's baseball games. I was ready for a good margarita and some Mexican food!

I don't like giving poor reviews, but maybe the ownership can use it to make some improvements. First the good: the chips and salsa were tasty!

Unfortunately, almost everything else was not! The margarita I ordered (El Jeffe) was way too strong and not mixed well... The staff was a bit slow at each step of the process... The food ranged from bad to slightly above average (there were 7 of us in the group). There was one order that required longer to prepare than the others, but the result was that some of the dishes were only luke warm when served.

My poor rating is mostly due to the staff though... Our waiter seemed to be more interested in talking with the other staff than us... We ate chips and salsa for more than 45 minutes with no feedback from our waiter on they delay, though he did apologize for the delay when delivering the bill...

In a town full of choices for a margarita and Mexican food, unfortunately, I would have to recommend trying somewhere else.

1  Thank HawkeyeAlum

Reviewed March 1, 2012

We had a Groupon for an entire meal for two, including drinks, appetizers and entree. The place was crowded, which is always a good sign. Food was delicious, and portions were generous.

1  Thank Cheryl H
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My wife and I went there about 8:30 on a Saturday night. We arrived and the hostess told us that they were just clearing off our table so it would be just a minute. We sat down and waited about 10 minutes then were taken back and seated. It was very chilly in the restaurant in part due to the fact that the wall between the bar and patio is open so the cool night air is allowed into the restaurant. Many people were sitting with coats on eating. My wife is normally always cold and I almost always warm, so I gave her my coat and all was fine. They did not bring chips and salsa like many restaurants do, but it was available as an add on. We ordered the sampler platter. The food was very good! We ordered the fajitas (mine was steak my wife shrimp) they had ample servings and the food was delicious. They did not offer refried beans but only black beans (which were good) and pinto beans. My wife had the house margarita and I a long island ice tea. My wife thought the margarita was very watered down. I thought the tea was just ok. All in all the food was good. The portions were large. The hostess was not very friendly and we seemed ignored at the beginning. The waitress was pleasant and friendly. The bus boy did try to remove my food while I was still eating it and I did have to stop him. He appeared to not know that when someone had 1/3 of the plate of food left that they may be still working on it. Total bill on this was about $75 plus tip.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

my hubby and i ate here while staying at the Fairmont Princess. We wanted some yummy mexican food without the resort prices. The food at blue agave was so fresh and delicious. We loved the steak tacos. The meat was seasoned wonderfully and the pico was fresh and colorful, their guacamole was outstanding and not bland like most restaurants. Give this restaurant a try, you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank Heather B
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We ate lunch here on a Tuesday afternoon. The chips and salsa were good...we added gaucamole! Shrimp cocktail was split between us! It was very good. The meal was one of their specials and it was very tastey...when we were ready to go we had heard the other waitress ask her table if they wanted any cofee or creme brulee for dessert...we thought to ourselves did she just say they had creme brulee here at a Mexican restaurant???....so when our waiter came back, not to sound crazy in case we had heard wrong, we asked if what they had for dessert. Our waiter said they had creme brulee in regular and pumpkin for fall. So we ordered one of each and they were both good.. The Margarita's were good too! We sat outside with the umbrellas and misters going...it was beautiful weather!

1  Thank simonandv