“Bad Service, Will NOT Be Returning”
Review of Havana Patio Cafe - CLOSED

Havana Patio Cafe
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Let me just start by saying I am a repeat customer to Havana Cafe but after tonight's experience I will not be returning, at least not to this location. I love their food but their service is horrible. My opinion on this has been shaped over my last few visits. What happened tonight was the last straw. As usual I went for Mojito Monday. I took my whole family from out of town to show them a great time.
First off, SLOW service. Second, when the time came to pay the bill (which my bill was made separate from the rest of the party we were with) I pulled out a groupon I had acquired for the occasion. My waitress informed me that if I used it, they could not honor the $3 drink price that happens on Monday. I read through the coupon and no where was that stated. I asked to talk to the manager and my waitress got him but told me he would say the same thing, which he did.
I was confused that if I spent $30 or more excluding drinks, why I wouldn't be allowed to still use my Groupon. I asked if the other party at our table was to pay for the drinks could I then use my Groupon and was told no. They blamed it on not being able to alter the checks in their computer system after they were entered. Even after this they split the second check so another card could be used. If the checks can't be altered after they are printed out how could they ever fix any mistakes that were made by accident? What if they had completely messed up our order? The whole thing just didn't make any sense and it seems very silly to lose a customer over something so small. I just felt like it was their way of brushing us off and not honoring the Groupon.
We live in hard times. I want to go where my business is appreciated. Why would I patronize an establishment that obviously does not empower their people to take care of the guest?

1  Thank casagrande81

Reviewed May 7, 2012

The Havana was great. My wife's sailor's paella wasn't stuffed with as much seafood as we'd like to see, but she enjoyed it. I had a stuffed eggplant dish that was great. We also had yuca appetizer. They were super nice, though the service was a bit slow for being the only ones in the restaurant at 4PM (we hadn't eaten all day and had just climbed most of Squaw Peak).

Reviewed May 4, 2012

the pork dish and the 1/2 price Mojito. ate on the patio room and it was quiet and service great

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We went for lunch and were there just after the 11:00am opening. We were seated instantly by a very friendly hostess that was also our waitress. She took drink orders and returned promptly to take our meal orders. She explained a bit about some items that we asked about with grace and a beautiful smile. The service was very, very good.

My wife opted for the Emparedado Cubano, their version of a “Cuban Sandwich” that was superb. Cuban bread, toasted, roasted pork, mortadella, Swiss and cured ham served with half a plateful of some of the best French fries ever. She washed that down with a Cuban coffee.

For my entree the waitress suggested the “Ropa Vieja” shredded beef brisket, bell peppers of many colors, onions, and in a tomato wine sauce served with black beans and rice, because it was probably the most traditional of the entrees that I inquired about. It was wonderful. (I’d order it again in a heartbeat but only after I tried many others.) I had a soda called Ironbeer, a soft drink that originated in Havana in 1917. Described in Wikipedia as a fruitier Dr. Pepper, whatever, it was very good. For dessert we shared a caramel flan (there is also a coconut flan) that was excellent.

Don’t be turned off by the location, in a strip mall, or by the look of the outside, the interior is very Caribbean and makes you feel that you are far away from Scottsdale.

We are headed for Miami and Key West and based on the flavors here we are anticipating enjoying Cuban food much closer to the real thing!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

found it in a little strip mall, and it was very delightful. authentic and tasty. Had my first cuban coffee, and wow! Dessert a must also..