“Very good teppanyaki and no loud music!”

Kyoto Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kyoto Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #404 of 1,268 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Orange County, California
“Very good teppanyaki and no loud music!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I come to Scottsdale a lot for business and enjoy trying different restaurants. I was in the mood for some Asian food and walked past a few sushi restaurants and they had one thing in common: loud music. I wanted a quiet place and noticed Kyoto. It's a block or so off of Scottsdale Road. I stopped in at 8:15pm and I was pleased to find that there was no loud music. Sure, there was a TV with a game on. No big deal. I sat down at a teppanyaki table and ordered the shrimp plate. In a few minutes, Freddy came out and started to prepare the meal for me. His wizardry with the flames was fantastic. The food was quite tasty...and again...no loud music. I found this place to be very laid back and the staff was very friendly. My whole meal (soft drink, shrimp teppanyaki, fried rice, and tip) came to less than $30. I will definitely go back.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank ElGringoViajero

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Love this place!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have been coming to Kyoto for over 6 years and I just love the place. Compared to other sushi joints in Old town and Scottsdale in general this place is priced right, fresh and has a very laid back vibe. It can get very very busy on the weekend so you will need to reserve a table or a teppanyaki table. I suggest the teppanyaki table for larger groups (only 1 person has to order the teppanyaki to sit there!) The service is quick and friendly and they will remember you if you are cool =) This is the best choice for sushi in Old Town, hands down. Check out the vegas roll, delicious.

• Visited December 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Flames, Smoke and Singing Make Great Fun !”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My old roommate and I went to Kyoto on a Saturday night expecting a long wait to be seated. We were shown to an empty Teppanyaki table immediately, surrounded by full tables of patrons watching chefs set fire to their orders, clapping gleefully. The restaurant looks kid friendly as there were numerous families with children.

Not long after we ordered drinks and entrees, a large birthday group completed our Teppanyaki table. They warned us that they were going to be rowdy as we all toasted to the evening.

The table chef appeared and immediately asked everybody in the birthday group how they wanted their food done. He then asked us if we were eating. My friend told him jokingly that we were only there to drink and gawk. The chef laughed and began dicing a large onion that ended up looking like a small volcano, spewing steam and flames. When he finished serving the group, we realized he thought we were serious about not eating.
Somehow our entrée orders given to the waitress earlier were lost. After apologizing, the chef went to the back and returned with our food orders and began cooking it on the grill.

My steak dish was more steamed then seared, so it was way more cooked than the medium rare that I requested. I ordered a martini extra dry on the rocks which arrived as a wet martini. It took a long while before the waitress returned so I could replace my drink, but it was perfect when it did come back extra dry.

After dinner, we sang and clapped happy birthday at our table along with the staff. The final cost was totally worth the great experience and I would not hesitate to come again soon. We found easy free parking half a block away in an underground PUBLIC PARKING structure with elevators to the ground level. There was no parking available on street level because it was the weekend.

• Visited August 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great for family or group fun”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our family has been having birthday gatherings here for many years. Every time it has been a great experience and the food is no exception. The staff has met every expectation and has never left us hanging.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Brian W
Las Vegas
“Great tapanyaki and sushi!”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Very good food and decent prices! Will go again next trip to Scottsdale.

Visited October 2011