“Tradition in Old Town”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Going to Frank & Lupe's is like visiting your grandparents when you are in town. It's not going to be swank accommodations or even five star cuisine, but it's comforting and makes you happy.

If you are vacationing in this area, I recommend going because it's a time-honored tradition. You have to order a nice, cold Sol cerveza and their famous cheese crisp to get the party rollin'. Now, the cheese crisp is not something a Michelan Star chef would create or probably even consider putting into their mouth, but it must be done. You must order a cheese crisp and delight in all of it's greasy, cheesy, crispy deliciousness.

When you're finished wiping the grease from your chin, you will understand why this is a standard go-to on the menu. I personally love it and tend to feel regret after eating it because I know it was plastered immediately to my thighs, but oh well. Take a swig of your Sol and wash all your sins away.

I have dined in all of the areas of the restaurant and I would have to say the back courtyard area in the evening is where you want to be. Find the entrance tucked between the front and back buildings, turn the corner on the uneven pavers and hand-painted signs and you will find nirvana.

Tables and chairs squished together in a familial setting, underneath umbrellas, twinkling lights and the vast Arizona night sky is a nice beginning to an evening in Old Town Scottsdale. Laughter and conversation is always at a premium. It must be the flowing margaritas and eager servers that contribute to the great atmosphere.

The last meal I had there was probably the best I've had. Lupe's Enchilada Plate was more food than I could handle and it was layers of solid, good, home cooked ingredients. I loved it.

For a casual, care-free dining experience, find your way to Frank & Lupe's and you will have a good time.

1  Thank Michelle V
There are newer reviews for Frank & Lupe's Old Mexico

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

I love # 10 and # 11 and the house Margaritas. If u come to visit me I will take u to this place. I like the patio best.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Loved the Guac & Chips (freshly made and served warm)! The combo plate was very good. Large portion. Best sopapillas ever! Lightly crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside! You get the honey bottle so serve generously! Enjoy!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Delighted to find blue corn tortillas and tacos. The tacos with blue corn tortillas were very good. The daily special on Cinco de Mayo was carnitas enchiladas. My husband loves carnitas. We were shocked to find delivered three cheese enchiladas with a small smattering of carnitas sprinkled on top of the sauce. Very disappointed and consider this false advertising. Both the red and green sauces made with New Mexican chiles were very good and authentic. Also disappointed in being served flour chips instead of corn. Service was surprisingly slow (for a place half- full for a late lunch) and the waiter never returned to ask how the food was or we would have complained about the so-called carnitas enchiladas..

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I have always found most Mexican food boring. American Mexican food often lacks the authentic flavors of Mexico. As one who cooks delicious Mexican food, I was pleasantly surprised with Frank and Lupe's food. Real Mexican. Both my husband and I enjoyed it and promise to go back.