“Didn't meet Expectations”
Review of Virtu

Virtu
Reserve with OpenTable
Virtu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 1,410 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Celebrated as one of the top 20 "Best New Restaurants" in the U.S. by Esquire Magazine immediately upon opening in 2013, as well as nominated by the prestigious James Beard Foundation for "Best New Restaurant" in 2014, Virtù is Chef Gio Osso's intimate, stylish gathering spot tucked inside Old Town Scottsdale's charming Bespoke Inn bed and breakfast. Chef Osso is a long-time Phoenix area favorite, having cooked in countless award-winning local kitchens before fulfilling his life-long dream of opening a restaurant of his own in 2013 with Virtu, where his ever-changing menu features a modern, global approach to his Mediterranean family roots. At Virtù, the Machiavellian term for achieving excellence, expect a wandering, Mediterranean-inspired menu that changes almost weekly, sometimes daily, featuring handmade pastas, premium seasonal produce sourced from some of Arizona's most celebrated farmers, superb seafood imported from the most notable fish markets in North America and southern Europe, as well as a seasonal cocktail program crafted with fresh-pressed juices and unique spirits. Chef Osso often refers to the food - and the vibe - of Virtu as a "beautifully composed symphony of sights, scents and tastes".
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I wasn't sure if I should write this review...because my expectations were so high. I read about the amazing grilled octopus from several sources and it was even named one of the Top Ten dishes in the Valley in the AZ Republic. Being a lover of that dish, I couldn't wait to go and then rave about it afterwards.

But that particular dish ended up being pretty terrible. Maybe it's because I've had so much better in the Ironbound section of Newark, NJ. Although it was tender enough, It was over-the-top charred which ruined it...and I like char. The rest of the dish was underwhelming as well.

We ordered most of the other small plates offered and they were all much better than the octopus. The ambiance was nice and drinks good. I might go again, but with all of the other great restaurants in the area, maybe not.

Date of visit: April 2014

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have been to the new Virtu twice now.The menu is limited but artistic. It changes often so there are no "specials". The service is attentive and professional.One of their starters,which all of my companions had,the Octopus, was extremely overseasoned the second visit.Maybe just a glitch. The signature dish, a thick pork chop, is the best Ive ever had,Absolutely worth a visit.Easy to find in Old Twon ,parking a cinch as it on an untravelled side street.
Go!

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed April 18, 2014

An intimate dining experience in an environment that feels both casual and hip. The brunch crepes were fantastic, and the selection of Piemonte beers is a lovely treat!

Date of visit: March 2014
Reviewed April 9, 2014

One week in Phoenix and this was a highlight of trip for food. Small and cozy with great service. Will visit again next January!!

Date of visit: January 2014
1  Thank Henry J
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I flew in from San Francisco for an extended weekend trip to visit some friends in Scottsdale and Phoenix, and were recommended to try Virtu. I must say I have been to hundreds of restaurants across the globe and have never given a 5-star rating but Virtu is special and worth a 5-star restaurant for their food and service. Their mixtologist, Bobby, prepared wonderful cocktails for our friends and a tasty Moscow Mules in the copper mug for me. We started with grilled octopus | fennel | arugula | lemon chick peas | calabrese chile butter and truffled steak tartare | porcini crema | crispy capers | quail egg | grilled naan bread. Oh la la.. We also ordered the following dishes for main course, and they were perfect.
*prosciutto wrapped pork rib chop | mustard greens & beans | bacon | crispy leeks | bourbon demi
*pan seared scallops | butternut squash | bacon & caramelized onion | white chocolate beurre blanc,
* smoked duck breast | cashew tabouleh | moroccan spiced beech mushrooms | crispy kale | cherry demi and
*grilled flat iron | roasted garlic broccolini | blistered fresno chiles | purple potato frittes | demi

We paired the food with two bottles of wines - Baberra from Italy and Malbec from Argentina. And they were wonderful. We had a chance to speak with the wine manager, and he was extremely knowledgeable. We hope they would carry a great German Riesling next time.

I cannot wait to come back and try the pan seared branzino | calabrese peperonata | crispy leeks | amaro reduction. It may worth a weekend getaway trip to try this dish.

Our friends and us loved everything about this quaint restaurant, and would definitely come back again.

Date of visit: March 2014