“Average hotel food”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Scottsdale Road and McCormick Parkway
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were staying in the Villas but decided to eat out and didn't want to drive so ate here. There was a convention eating outside so we were the ONLY ones in the dining room and at 7:15 they were already set for breakfast. Food was average at best. Garlic fries were bland. Risotto was good but average, chicken was boring. There are so many other places to go to eat in Scottsdale - go to one of them. Eating outside would be nice because of the view - but you can eat across the lake at another restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Pinon Grill

Reviewed March 7, 2013

After a handful of visits, I'm still amazed that it's not busier during Saturday night prime time. The service generally gets an "average" rating (friendly, but not very attentive), but the food has been excellent every time. They certainly do seafood better than that other restaurant partway around the lake (the one that touts its seafood expertise). I haven't taken a risk on the BBQ salmon, because that's just the wrong thing to do to salmon, but the red trout, borracho shrimp, and seared scallops have all been worth the drive. So have the beef dishes so far (flat iron steak and ribeye). The salads were generous and delicious (especially the "Strawberry Rocket"). The margarita chicken was pretty good, not spectacular. Contrary to the statement by a previous reviewer, presentation is NOT a la carte: bread and sides are included. Maybe room service does it differently. The view across the lake is nice (it's fun to be indoors while a thunderstorm rages outside); the patio is spacious and perfect for dining when the weather's good. My big gripe is the wine list. It's mostly Californian, and not a good selection at that. Probably a bunch of vendor seconds, or stuff to please the snowbirds who don't know any better. All in all, though, we plan to keep coming back.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Ate here for the first time finding this restaurant on Open Table. I first read the reviews on this site (Mostly 4 to 5/5) I must have been there on an off night because I found this place to be average at best. There were only 4 tables with people at them and the service was very slow (And there were 2 servers) Go figure. Now for the food, I ordered the chicken breast and while it was grilled nicely it had some kind of a sauce on it I figured had been from a can by its texture and had lemon juice added to it. Failed to flavor it at all and I scraped it off. The vegetables were peas (Frozen, again I could tell) and carrots that it looked like they tried to grill but failed. My wife had the trout that she said was good (With asparagus) but that was it. Normally restaurants in hotels I figure to have better quality food but this was the first one in Scottsdale we've been to that was not. Again it must have been an off night at this establishment. The total bill for the two of us including a drink was $35.00 so it is true you get what you pay for. My advice to anyone is go to the Chart House across the way. You'll pay more but get a far better dinner.

1  Thank Coder
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We go there regularly when in town. Have had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fish has always been fresh and perfectly cooked. The menu is not extensive, but really nice. Can't imagine a more romantic spot in Arizona.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

The first night in town we were beat and ordered room service, I had the flat iron steak , it was tender and juicy with a great sauce, the chocolate cake was yummy BUT everything is ala carte, they don't even give you a slice of bread.