“Top upscale Mexican cuisine in AZ”
Review of SOL Mexican Cocina

SOL Mexican Cocina
Ranked #111 of 1,257 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Phoenix, Arizona
“Top upscale Mexican cuisine in AZ”
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

First time visiting this restaurant in N. Scottsdale OFF scottsdale road. In shopping quarter. In a nice upscale setting and our food was top notch. Started with seasonal guacamole which changes weekly. This freshly made was with habinaros and blueberries and cheese with a brown sugar syrup mixed in so it was sweet and spicy ..very unique served with tostadas. We asked for fresh corn tortillas which we preferred since they were softer. Salsa and pure bean salsa dip was nice addition. Main course I had wild fish estcuste a fresh grouper extreamly good cooked perfect on a bed of roasted corn cut off the cobb with diced tomates and delicately seasoned . A perfect fish dish. I SHOULD knownfish growing up in BOSTON. Also to note the fish and the corn ragu was both served piping hot with toasted basil leaf. A large portion even for foodie.

Wife had half limone verdie chicken she said it was fantasic and fall off bone witj mexican dry rub flavor. Came with fresh and large salade with chunks of avacado with tomatoes and wild leaf greens. She could not finish. We also Enjoyed cucumber jalapeño margaritas. The sides were marvolus and so fresh cole slaw used with tortillas and fish very litr dressing but house made and quinoa tomato cranberry and pine nut cold side

This was best cold quinoa I ever had. Prices on the high side but for upscale mexican fare it was excellent. Better than some reseraunts on caba san lucas 5 star.

Deserves top 10 rank in Scottsdale. Top 3 for its category. No chain budget processed food here. FOODIES will love it.

1 Thank k123-foodie

Ogden, United States
“Excellent Happy Hour!”
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We got the guacamole and two orders each of the chicken and carnitas tacos. The food was great, the service was great, and we were seated immediately. The chips weren't the best. They were a little too thick and crunchy, but the salsa and bean dip were great. We would definitely go back and try out the dinner food.

1 Thank Tim H
Nottinghamshire, UK
“Great Weekend Brunch”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We have just spent two weeks in Scottsdale and enjoyed the brunch so much we returned the following weekend. The menu is very comprehensive and contains some unusual items. We loved the chips and dips and the mimosas to accompany the brunch. The decor, ambiance and friendly staff all made for a fantastic experience. We shall definitely return on our next visit.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Trendy Mexican cuisine in an upscale space”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Sol has nice Baja-style Mexican food. While they dinner menu is very good, I enjoy coming here for brunch for Huevos Rancheros, ham and cheese quesadillas, etc. The ceviche is good, too.

Happy hour is great, here, if for no other reason than the type of people who come in. It's a nice, trendy atmosphere with plenty of good tequila and other libations.

For Mexican food, it's on the pricey side, but you're getting fresh, unique dishes in an upscale atmosphere, so it makes sense.

Anchorage
“Didn't live up to expectations”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I was so looking forward to dining at this restaurant after reading all the awesome reviews. We had reservations on a Friday night and I was surprised how many open tables there were. The hostess staff was very friendly, courteous and promptly seated us. The restaurant is beautiful so I'd give the atmosphere a definite thumbs up. Our waiter was nice and prompt too. I was a huge fan of the "chips" which were tostadas you break apart. The seasoning on them was fine for me but the rest of the family did not enjoy it. The salsas were fine but nothing to write home about. We ordered a variety of tacos and the pork carnitas. The tacos were good especially the shrimp, and filling. I would definitely skip ordering the rice and beans and just do the tacos alone. They are plenty filling and you won't miss the very average r&b. My only complaint with the tacos was the tortillas. One was fine, a second was a bit tough and the third dried out in places and tough so I just ate the filling. No excuse for serving a tortilla in that condition especially in a restaurant charging $6+ per taco. My DH said his pork carnitas were OK, not as good as Elote in Sedona but not bad, just a bit bland. DD ordered a kids quesadilla which was oozing with white cheese. I would have liked it but she doesn't like that much cheese. I cannot fault SOL for that though. Overall a decent dinner in a nice setting but I would not make the effort to go back. It just did not "wow" me like I expected or had hoped. If I could have given a "good" ratings I would have because there were definitely some pluses. So overall, food and service would be "good" because better than average but not quite "very good."