“Fresh, delicious Mexican food”
Review of SOL Mexican Cocina

SOL Mexican Cocina
Ranked #102 of 1,308 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 13, 2014

A gem inside a very nice shopping center. A friend and I decided to try this place for lunch during a girls weekend. The food was excellent - fresh, flavorful and just the right portions. I was just getting over a cold so I had the tortilla soup - absolutely delicious. We then tried a variety of tacos that you can order a la carte. The sweet potato black bean taco was out of this world (so different), as was the shrimp taco. Since we were on vacation, we indulged in a lunch time "Skinny" margarita which was also excellent. Great atmosphere and service.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Met some friends in Scottsdale for lunch and decided to try Sol after reading online reviews on TA and other sites. We were not disappointed in our experience, will definitely return, and will definitely recommend to others.

We arrived about 10 minutes before our friends and our waitress took the time to explain the menu, chips/salsa, taco accessories, and experience to us before our friends arrived. She took the time to repeat it all over again for our friends when they arrived as well. It was nice to have a someone take the time to do that for us. A lot of restaurants don't do this anymore. The chips, which are little round tostada style chip, are excellent and the roasted tomato salsa and bean dip are good too.

Tequila and drinks abound and I tried the jalapeno and cucumber margarita. Awesome! If I wasn't driving and didn't have other things to do that day I would have definitely drank more.

We all had taco's and enjoyed them. I had the regular taco's instead of the street taco's and skipped the rice and beans. Taco's are priced and sold individually so you can mix and match which is what I did. The chicken viper taco is super spicy (ghost pepper and habanero pepper) and good and has just enough heat to get a small sweat going. The chorizo and rajas taco was excellent as well as the taco bufalada. Service as I said was excellent and the manager made sure to stop by to ensure our visit was going well.

We decided to splurge on dessert since our lunch was so good and we split two banana-dark chocolate bread puddings as shown below. Made to order, hot out of the oven, and was spectacular if you are a dessert person.

Nothing negative to say about our visit.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We were visiting Scottsdale and decided to try SOL Mexican Cocina. The first night we arrived in time for happy hour prices. The drinks and food offerings were excellent and the service was very good. Later in the week we stopped in early afternoon for a drink and appetizer while we waited for members of our party who were off shopping. We had great service from Paul, who was in training and Holden. After we finished our drinks, we were told that the guacamole would be on the restaurant. Wow! They certainly did not have to be so generous since that is all we had to eat. Both guys were great, personable and answered a number of questions we had about Scottsdale. We certainly enjoyed the food and will make SOL a routine stop for us on our yearly visits.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

When it comes to local restaurants I generally make it a practice to try them at least 3 times before reviewing unlike when on vacation and don't always have the opportunity or want to. So this review is based on 3+ visits.

My Hubby and I love Sol. Here is my take on it: not your typical Mexican food, better! Simple but Incredible tastes and recipes. A little pricey but totally in line with the restaurants in this area. Not the most favorable location for outdoor dining in this outdoor mall but the inside has a nice decor and atmosphere. Wait times have been minimal to none dependent on the time of day. We have tried early and late afternoon and evening times, all have remained consistent with service, quality, and taste.

Ive had one of the best margaritas here, perfectly made house margarita with Patron. Hubby is a big eater, loves the Carne Asada grilled burrito, minus the lettuce, enchilada style with the rice on the side instead of inside the burrito. He can barely finish the burrito. We enjoy the tasty mango guacamole but you are provided with seasoned tostada shells with a pepita bean dip and a roasted salsa so it's not absolutely necessary to even have an appetizer. I've enjoyed the Ensenada fish tacos and the Carne Asada tacos both I found enjoyable.

if you are from out of town I recommend this area as well as Sol restaurant. This is a really nice outdoor shopping mall and if this isn't the restaurant for you there are several options in this area as well as in Kierland across the street. Hope you enjoy as much as we do.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

After a wonderful Thanksgiving, the in-laws decided they wanted Mexican food. While Phoenix and Scottsdale has many fine restaurants I was tired of the same old chimis and tacos and so decided to try SOL. Sadly it seem the in-laws wanted chimichangas and such. They settled and were relatively happy. My meal was excellent. They have many kinds of guacamole. We chose the naked. Well made, flavorful and tasty. The chips are different in that they are whole small tortillas. A little harder to work with but home made. My wife had the ceviche sol. Fresh fish, lime, chilis and very good. She also had the shrimp taco dorado and loved them. Being a carnitas fan, I ordered these and they were a hit. Tender pork served with onions and all the goodies. The sauces were different and again very good. Father in law had a quesadea that could have fed three people.

All in all a very good meal. Attentive staff. Very low lighting so bring a flash lite to read the menu. Recommended.