“Delicious yet Pricey Steakhouse Fare”
Review of Ben & Jack's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Ben & Jack's Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: East Indian School Road
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We are visiting the Scottsdale area and decided to try this steakhouse. We happened to arrive earlier than our 7PM reservation but they seated us immediately. In fact, it was very quiet for a Fri night. We were offered water immediately but then the waiter never returned to take our drink order so another waiter took over our table (or so it appeared). There were a couple of different menu options including still offering the Arizona Restaurant Week menu. At $40 for salad, filet, and dessert it was a good deal. My husband had the lamb chops (not part of the special menu). Our waiter, Patrick, made several good suggestions to us about the drinks, the temperature of the meat, etc. The salad was large and tasty even though it just was greens and a couple of tomatoes. My husband had the beefeater tomato & mozarella salad which was a meal in itself! My filet was very tender & tasty. I had asked for bearnaise sauce and was pleased to hear there was no extra charge for it. My dinner came with mashed potatoes & broccoli. They were both good. My husband's lamb chops were ala carte but after his salad he didn't need any extras! We shared the tiramisu for dessert. It was tasty but nothing special. All in all a delightful dinner but very pricey. Typical for a high end steak place. We were pleased with the attentive service we received. We would most likely return to Ben & Jacks if we were in the Scottsdale area.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We had the displeasure of eating at Jacks last night. We were seated promptly at close to 5 and we were the only ones there until 5:30p. The place was dead even when we left at 6:30p. We ordered the clams appetizer, lobster tail, a prix fixe menu incl. the prime NY steak, French fries and 2 glasses of wine. The clams were overly expensive for 6. No taste. The steak was tasty as well as the fries but $12 for a small plate of fries is pretty outrageous. The lobster tail tasted and smelled like ammonia. I was shocked. My husband confirmed the taste and the manager stopped by. I told him that I never tasted something so strange and was worried there was something wrong with the broiler. His response? "you don't like it? We can get you something else". My response was that it wasn't only that I didn't like it, but there was something seriously wrong that needed to be addressed. He asked if I wanted something else, which I declined, and the lobster was removed. I have never tasted something so foul and it was never addressed. I ate French fries for dinner. The bill for 6 clams, the prix fixe dinner, 2 glasses of wine, a cocktail and bland clams was $135. Outrageous for the quality of food. Here's the kicker... We were sharing our experiences with a chef later in the evening and he said bad lobster tastes like ammonia and with as strong a taste I had, it was probably very old or dead before it was cooked. When I mentioned you could also clearly smell the chemical, he pointed out it was bad quality management in the kitchen. The chef never should have sent it out. For a restaurant of this expense and supposed quality, I would expect delicious food or apologies for improper preparation. Go to Mastro's City Hall, Ruth's Chris or the Chart House instead.

1  Thank TravelingSuz
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The food and service at Ben & Jacks is excellent. The A la carte meals look expensive however the portions are huge and can easily feed two or three people. Don't worry about splitting meals, it's all done in the kitchen.

There were 12 of us when I went and we had a variety of dishes which were all very good. One comment is that the salads where average and pricey for what you get.

Overall we enjoyed our evening and the meals. Would go back for sure!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

If your looking for a great aged and tender steak then Ben & Jack's is the place to dine in Scottsdale,AZ. If their are 2 or more in your party and you like your steak cooked the same way then order the steak for 2,3,4 people. The German Potatoes are a must as a side. Ben & Jack's is as good as or better then the higher priced steak houses in the Scottsdale area.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Price for the special was good. A la carte looked expensive. Waiter was polite and cooperative when one at the table was unsatisfied with her steak. Food was average. However the wait times between courses and for final payment were much to long.

1  Thank RG J