“Highly Recommended”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Scottsdale
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I heard that Hiro Sushi was very good. It is a small, unassuming, store front. However, it is very nice inside. The staff is very attentive, friendly and professional. The sushi is excellent! I'm a bit of a sushi snob, but Hiro is not only high quality, but an excellent value.

I hesitate to mention for fear it gets too busy and they raise their prices.

As I was writing this I glanced at a review from someone from NJ. Their title is "Good But Not Great". While I whole heartedly agree the Miso soup is "top notch", but I ordered the Spider Roll. It is excellent. By the way, a Spider Roll is made with tempura soft shell crab, NOT squid.

It is excellent. Not to miss.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was our second time here. The first in January, latest in June. Sashimi is fresh and tasty but serving was much less than the usual served back East (we're recent transplants from NJ). That said the spider roll was excellent but fried squid tentacles were enjoyable but a bit overdone. Miso soup is top notch. We had salmon cheeks as a special in January which was outstanding but nothing came close to it this go-round. Worth a visit but we'll keep searching for something better.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

For my birthday my wife took me here for omakase at the sushi bar. We were advised by a knowledgeable friend to get seating on the far left of the bar,where the most senior chef works, but it was unavailable. We were with the third chef from the left, and he was superb. Much of the fish is flown in from Japan, and absolutely as good as you can find anywhere, coastal city or otherwise. Spent a lot of money on sushi in New York over the years, and never found a meal as good as this one.

The best thing about omakase is the non-menu items that come with it, the complex, highly imaginative pieces of sushi that you would never know to ask for. Many wonderful, unique surprises. The deep fried butterfish was a special treat. The frying renders even the skeleton edible, and delicious.

It is pricy, no way to sugarcoat it. But if you're someone who doesn't mind paying top dollar for a memorable experience, you can count on Hiro. We were thrilled with our meal, and can now say for certain that greater Phoenix has world class sushi.

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

First time in Arizona and looking for a good sushi place. Had tried a place earlier with bad luck but HIRO sushi was amazing. Decent size rolls and wonderful, attentive staff. Looking forward to coming back!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

maybe i got the wrong stuff, because the reviews are great. but none of my 3 rolls was any good really

1  Thank osubuckeye415