“We will not be back”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: South Scottsdale
Reviewed June 2, 2012

What a crazy morning at this restaurant. We read about it and thought we would try it out. When we arrived there were about 12 people seated. The waitress came over and promptly took our order. After about 10 minutes I heard one of the customers get up and ask when was he going to get his food. The waitress explained that there were other customers in the restaurant that had been there for over an hour and still did not have thier food. This is about the time we noticed that no one in the resturant had any food. In the meantime the waitress went into the kitchen to ask about the complaining cutomers food and I heard someone from the kitchen yelling at to get out of his kitchen. Funny enought about this time the owner showed up and walked around to all the customers and apologized and said one of employees was sick and sorry for the delay. Some plates rapidly started to come out of the kitchen but kind of in the wrong order. We got our food but we saw two other angry customers leave. Our food was really not that great. The hash browns were cold. The english muffin with the Eggs Benedict was not toasted or hot, however the sauce was flavorful. The French Toast was just okay, definitely not spectacular like the reviews said. Truthfully we decided that we would not bother to return to this restaurant.

2  Thank evelyyn
There are newer reviews for Scratch Pastries

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Ate breakfast here last week (May 19, 2012). The food was excellent. Even though it was warm outside, I had the hot chocolate. It was excellent - it reminded me of the hot chocolate I had in Paris. The rest of our breakfast was great too.
The service was great and everyone there was very friendly.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

We are a couple of Canadians in Scottsdale for a few days, and decided to check out trusty TA for any eatery tips, especially breakfast beyond any food chains. Scratch Pastries knocked our socks off! The atmosphere is very hip, urban, contemporary...yet feels friendly and welcoming. We were on our way back from a horseback ride, and even in more casual riding gear, and a bit dusty, we were welcomed in. I had the smoked duck eggs benedict....could be in the top three breakfasts I've ever had! The duck was liked a smoked ham, but with more depth. Eggs were delicately poached to perfection, with a hollandaise sauce that you could tell was just created from - you guessed it - scratch. Even the sides, which for most is an afterthought, were excellent in themselves. The salad was a mix of fresh greens, with a vinaigrette I wish they sold in bottles. The potato hash was delicately seasoned with mild garlic, rosemary, and fennel. My husband had the lamb burger, which was more than ample. Lamb cooked to perfection - hint of crust, medium to slightly rare inside-with tons of fresh organic toppings. It also came with the delightful side salad.

We were so impressed with the quality of our brunch that we purchased some pastries to go. The almond and chocolate croissants were flaky, light, and buttery. I had a chocolate/raspberry mousse concoction, my husband a chocolate/praline/cherry concoction. Both rivalled the pastries we had in Paris last summer - wow! We will be back.

2  Thank ukiegirltravels
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is better than its location, especially for dinner. But once inside, the food & very personal service should help you forget you're at a shopping strip beside a Subway!
We dined & breakfasted here and both were excellent food wise; I'd love to be able to go back & try more dishes.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

This place was amazing! The french toast was the best I have ever had. Simple but delicious!