“Eat here! Now!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: South Scottsdale
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We are a couple of Canadians in Scottsdale for a few days, and decided to check out trusty TA for any eatery tips, especially breakfast beyond any food chains. Scratch Pastries knocked our socks off! The atmosphere is very hip, urban, contemporary...yet feels friendly and welcoming. We were on our way back from a horseback ride, and even in more casual riding gear, and a bit dusty, we were welcomed in. I had the smoked duck eggs benedict....could be in the top three breakfasts I've ever had! The duck was liked a smoked ham, but with more depth. Eggs were delicately poached to perfection, with a hollandaise sauce that you could tell was just created from - you guessed it - scratch. Even the sides, which for most is an afterthought, were excellent in themselves. The salad was a mix of fresh greens, with a vinaigrette I wish they sold in bottles. The potato hash was delicately seasoned with mild garlic, rosemary, and fennel. My husband had the lamb burger, which was more than ample. Lamb cooked to perfection - hint of crust, medium to slightly rare inside-with tons of fresh organic toppings. It also came with the delightful side salad.

We were so impressed with the quality of our brunch that we purchased some pastries to go. The almond and chocolate croissants were flaky, light, and buttery. I had a chocolate/raspberry mousse concoction, my husband a chocolate/praline/cherry concoction. Both rivalled the pastries we had in Paris last summer - wow! We will be back.

2  Thank ukiegirltravels

Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is better than its location, especially for dinner. But once inside, the food & very personal service should help you forget you're at a shopping strip beside a Subway!
We dined & breakfasted here and both were excellent food wise; I'd love to be able to go back & try more dishes.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

This place was amazing! The french toast was the best I have ever had. Simple but delicious!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The pastries are fantastic! The food is very reasonably priced and good. The service is great too. The iced tea refills were timely.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Located in a strip mall. We didn't eat there, although we wish we had over the place we just left. Menu was assorted and in the French vein. We each got a dessert pastry and they were expertly done and tasty. I am looking forward to going back for lunch in the near future. Place was cute, clean and inviting and the owner came by the table and said hi.