“Wonderful Dover Sole”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Pittsburgh
“Wonderful Dover Sole”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Monday night is Dover sole Night, prepared table side. It was delicious. The escargot is also terrific.

• Visited January 2013

Iowa
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I just got home from dinner at Voltaire. The decor is a little dated but the food and service was second to none. My wife had the filet which melted in our mouths and I had the sole which was super. To end the evening we shared the Creme brûlée which was great. You cannot find food like this anymore and I sure hope they don't change the menu too much. I am sure they are still many who crave good food.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank pkmills
Paradise Valley, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The road less traveled....”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have lived in Scottsdale for well over 12 years and must have driven by a million times, not knowing that the "Voltaire" is one of Scottsdale's best kept secrets. The patrons all seemed quite satisfied as I sat and watched as I always do when eating at a new establishment. The servers were all very polite and seemed to work well as a team as I watched them continuously run from table to table, filling waters and exchanging wine glasses.
We came on a night when the special was an, "East Coast Skate". Never having tried "Skate" I curiously asked the server all about it. WoW! What a surprise! Great flavor, fantastic texture, not at all what I had imagined. I thought that the Chef's choice of vegetables was also a nice addition, and decided to try the side of Cauliflower as well, since the couple at the next table seemed to be enjoying theirs so much.
Very quaint and very intimate...nothing to fancy...The owner did mention something about changes coming next year, but I am hoping that the wonderful choices in Wine and Entree's stays at the quality to which I am now becoming accustomed!
Nice to know that the small restaurants can still out flavor the restaurant chains, keeping with quality and not just quantity... Fantastic job Chef David!
Cannot wait to taste your next special!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Gary B
Glendale, Arizona
“Nope”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Really wanted to like this restaurant as we are Francophile foodies, but...

The decor seemed old rather than elegant.

A sign over the urinal asking me not to pee on the floor was off putting.

Service was friendly but average.

Food was good to average.
My wife liked the Poulet en Croute.
The Canard a L'Orange however that I ordered was over cooked and the sauce was pedestrian at best, lacking any subtlety.
The side of scalloped potatos was awful.
Creme brulee for desert was pretty good.

After dropping two bills on dinner, it just wasn't good enough to warant a return trip.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank RGrunion
Phoenix, Arizona
“The best!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Enter Voltaire and you step into a time of graciousness where you are treated as a welcome guest. Owner/host Martin oversees the excellent service without ever being intrusive. Chef David prepares the cuisine as if for his own family. Over the past 12 years I have dined there often, sampling a variety of the menu, all delectable. In addition to the nightly specials, Martin and David have, in these difficult financial times, offered their patrons special discounts and reduced prices, never skimping on the quality nor quantity of their dishes. If you live here or are visiting, I heartily recommend Voltaire as a special dining experience.

• Visited October 2012