“Surprisingly delightful for a hotel”

deseo at Westin Kierland Resort and Spa
Ranked #20 of 1,276 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Cross street: Scottsdale Rd.
Description: deseo - meaning desire in Spanish - showcases Nuevo Latino cuisine, a pairing of traditional Latin American ingredients and contemporary culinary style to create unique, fresh and flavorful dishes that include a range of mouthwatering ceviches, grilled and roasted fish and shellfish, and a selection of skillfully prepared meats all with tantalizing South American-inspired marinades, sauces and sides. Complementing the menu is deseo's extensive list of South American wines.
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

We ate with a group of 20 and had great service and very tasty food. Large portions and a small but fantastic desert.

There are newer reviews for deseo at Westin Kierland Resort and Spa

Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you're staying at or near the Westin Kierland, you really must try Deseo. There are multiple atmosphere styles in one restaurant -- sit at nice tables and focus on your companions, hang in the bar area, or sit at the rail and watch your food being prepared. Our party of six sat nestled under the fronds of a large plant, tucked in a corner by the window and an oak-y wall. Six diners, all getting separate checks, two sets of two diners sharing at least one food item and splitting the cost, some people getting entrees and others getting multiple tapas-like smaller plates, and they kept it all straight.

Well, mostly. At first, I thought I'd gotten one of my companion's plates, because the empanada had meat, and I'd ordered the ones with goat cheese. But nope, hers had beef, too. Our server could have whisked away (and tossed) the wrong item when we reported it, but he merely placed it in the center of the table for others to partake (gratis) and had my correct plate out in moments.

The food was spectacular. We all ate our own dishes (whether split or not) but also shared. My "small" shrimp chicharron plate was huge. I ate half and everyone else got the equivalent of a small side dish of the spicy yumminess. I got to try a teeny fish taco, someone else tried my empanada, and we all got to sample some magnificent tastes.

This was not an inexpensive meal. I had 2 small (tapas-like plates) and split a third -- basically, the equivalent of an appetizer and an entree -- and had a soft drink. With tip, I paid about twice what I'd probably have paid for a nice, upscale meal at home. But the service and food were high quality and the atmosphere ideal for socializing and dining well.

Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Deseo's staff are extremely knowledgable, will explain in detail their Nuevo latino Cuban/South American selections, happy to make recommendations based on your likes or dislikes. The meals are complex, flavorful, unusual & delicious. We had the cerviches & the millionaire (lobster) yuca bite size tacos which practically melted in your mouth. I had the Camaron Enchilado shrimp for my entre which was devine. The sauce it is in has just the right amount of heat & was so flavorful. It is very pricy as you'd expect of a restaurant of this caliber but it will not disappoint. The Cuban cigar for desert will top off your meal with just the right amount of savory chocolate delight.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a beautiful room. Deep reds, beige & amber lighting are the back drop for this lovely restaurant to enjoy fabulous fresh food with a Latin flair. Looking out on the golf course is heavenly & serene!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stopped by this restaurant after many hours of shopping so it was past 830pm. Restaurant was not full maybe about 15 people seated at tables. The decor was ok not modern, spacious room between tables. What I loved about this restaurant was the open concept kitchen where you could see what the cooks are doing. I sat at the bar stool section facing the kitchen. It was a lovely experience cause I saw most of the dishes being prepared. The presentations were loving and what I loved is the chefs wore those white gloves for picking up foods and working with different foods and then they would throw the glove away. Very clean and nice to see. I started with the lobster tacos, they were decadent, I so wish I could get that recipe. The presentation was so perfect and the taste of this dish was memorable. The waiter suggested it , happy I listened! For main dish I had grilled Ono fish, it was good but not amazing like my first dish but still a different dish full of different flavors, plantains over the rice, and grilled Ono fish. The portion was very big so I wasn't able to finish the whole dish. My waiter was extremely helpful, caring and attentive to my food experience. It is a Nuevo Latin cuisine so not the kind of restaurant I usually go to but my dining experience was lovely.