“Average Italian in Old Town Scottsdale”
Review of Italian Grotto

Italian Grotto
Ranked #746 of 1,261 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
West Vancouver, Canada
“Average Italian in Old Town Scottsdale”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our party of four ate at the Italian Grotto on March 3, 2014, after being recommended by a friend. Since it was a Monday night and early and we'd been strolling Old Town, we just dropped in without a reservation. We were seated promptly inside but close to the outdoor seating, so still had a good view for people watching. The restaurant was about half full, with people at the bar enjoying happy hour. Our waiter was friendly and gave good recommendations for food and wine. We had starters and mains, including salads and pasta and some wine by the the glass. The meal was average in quality and portions were on the large side. After reading some of the recent low TripAdvisor ratings, I'd say we were lucky the night of our visit. We had nothing to complain about except the food wasn't outstanding. Would we return if we found ourselves in Old Town again? Maybe, but there are so many other good and exceptional places to eat I'm not sure we would.

Johns Creek, Georgia, United States
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We tried this restaurant from a local suggestion. Both of us had a grouper special and absolutely loved the dish!!! It was moist, perfectly cooked and in a wonderful sauce. Unfortunately, our bread was stale and the salads were definitely lacking. Our waiter was less than welcoming and was downright rude at times. Truly loved the main dish but the rest was terribly disappointing!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Brenda Y
Chicago, Illinois
“Terrible service, food so-so”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Arrived about 8pm on a Tuesday night. No one was at the 'host' stand. Eventually tracked down someone who told us we could sit where ever we wanted "just not on someone's lap". Oh so hilarious. Found a table outside and were given menus. We asked if we could have seperate checks as we were in town for business and needed to submit reciepts for reimbursement. The smarmy jerk, said no, we could pay seperately and get seperate reciepts but not a seperate itemized check. What laziness on their part. Would it have killed them??

Next we asked how the eggplant parmiggiana was prepared. He said lightly floured nd fried served with mushrooms over pasta and sauce. When the dish arrived it was just a sauted mush of thinly sliced eggplant and mushrooms swimming in a watery sauce. Being from Chicago and having travelled to Italy - I know what this dish should have tasted like and these people do not know Italian food.

The meal with one glass of crappy wine was $40.00. A giant waste of cash and our evening. Please do all of us a favor and close up shop. Not worth the cement you are parked on.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Cindy J
Issaquah, Washington
“Great location but terrible fried zucchini”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were in Scottsdale in March and went shopping in old town. The restaurant is perfectly located and is very inviting. We only wanted a quick appetizer as it was 3pm. The fried zucchini was the worst I've had. They pushed for bread and even though we said no, they brought it out anyway. This place needs a new chef.

2 Thank 2Lucy2
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
“Despicable”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have been having an internal debate for a few weeks now about how detailed of a review I wanted to write. I have decided that although I am not excited about wasting more of my time on this horrible establishment, but if I can keep them from making money off of at least one unsuspecting patron, I have succeeded. I will keep it relatively brief because my experience was not much different than most of the other one star experiences complete with rudeness and threats.

We were hanging out in Old Town one evening after spring training and decided to stop in. We walked up to the host stand and a line quickly started forming behind us. As my friend and I were wondering where the host was, the gentleman behind us (from another party) informed us that they never have a host and we should beware because when someone does show up, they will be very rude. Weird, we though. I asked his why he still came and he told me, "for the food." "Well whatever" we thought. We shall see for ourselves. He was right about the rude part. We never made it to the food part and I don't care because my hard earned dollars won't go to support such an awful family (it is apparently a family owned business).

The owner eventually stumbles up with his glass of wine. My friend says "excuse me, we have a party of 3," to which he replies smugly, "yeah I see that..." Shortly thereafter, a server walks by and as we try to get his attention, he purposely ignores us.

Um ok.

Next, a server comes up to use the credit card machine. My friend says, "excuse me but we have not been helped yet, is there a host?" To which he replies, "look, if you were sitting in my section, I would help you out, but you aren't, you are here. So you aren't my problem." Charming.

Rinse and repeat with a third guido prince charming who says, "whaddya want me to do, it's busy, etc. etc. [insert a few more obnoxious comments here]"

So now that my friend has been treated disrespectfully 3 times, I'm pretty irate and grace our resident guido with a few choice words of my own. (hey, I'm not proud of it but well.....he deserved it). He looked shocked at a lady standing up for herself and wouldn't you know the big man threatens to call the police. I asked him to please do so (loudly and with an obscenity), but he declined.

At first I thought that this was rudeness combined with an utter lack of respect for women. I do think that is true, but it goes further, as it does not seem that they have respect for any of their customers. However, if you can read all of these reviews of behavior that would be unbelievable if it weren't for the sheer QUANTITY of similar reviews, and still donate your cash, I would not respect you either.

5 Thank Stephanie E