“Classic Ice Cream in Old Town”

Sugar Bowl Ice Cream Parlor
Ranked #2 of 39 Dessert in Scottsdale
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown Scottsdale
Los Angeles, California
“Classic Ice Cream in Old Town”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Any trip to Old Town Scottsdale should include a stop at the Sugar Bowl. Old Fashioned Ice Cream treats served up in a wonderful atmosphere of nostalgia. The basic root beer float is a dream. I also enjoyed the decorations of signed cartoon cells from Bil Keane and "The Family Circus" around the shop. He lived nearby and even incorporated the Sugar Bowl into a few panels. My 12 year old daughter is still talking about the place and can't wait to return!

Hawaii
“Ice Cream Paradise”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

As we drove into Downtown Scottsdale, what caught my attention was the nice pink-colored Sugar Bowl Ice Cream Parlor. I knew immediately that's a place I wanted to go. After strolling through other parts of downtown Scottsdale, we made sure we'd end up at the Sugar Bowl for lunch. I was totally fine with just ordering dessert (ice cream sundaes of all types), but the husband thought I should at least eat something somewhat resembling lunch before diving into dessert. So, yes, they do serve more than just dessert. I had a tuna sandwich, and the husband had meat loaf. Lunch was good, but, who am I kidding, I was there for the main event -- the ice cream. And, it did not disappoint! Toppings galore...so many choices! I knew I should have skipped lunch because by the time I was ready for dessert, I was already pretty full. But, it'd be criminal to come here and not order ice cream. Service was pleasant, and the atmosphere was fun. I loved the menus and the connection this place has with "Family Circus'" Bill Keane. The menus were illustrated in a cute way, and were my favorite color -- pink! If you're in downtown Scottsdale, I wholeheartedly recommend a visit to this restaurant that not only serves up nostalgia but delicious ice cream!

• Visited October 2013
Mesa
“Pepto Pink!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was not my husband and I's first visit. The group wanted ice cream, so off we went! The things we ordered ranged from small sundaes, to Hot Fudge cream puffs to vanilla shake. Everyone was happy. The thing that bothered me was it seemed to attract some less than stellar characters for customers; made some of us uncomfortable.

“Very pink!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I had never been here prior to yesterday. I went with family who had been to this place as a child and was now bringing her own children. She said the place hadn't changed a bit. It certainly did appear to be a blast from the past, perhaps a bit worn down, but apparently still a destination when in Scottsdale. I have never seen so much bubble gum pink in decor before. It's very retro indeed. We dined elsewhere, coming here strictly for the ice cream. I had a vanilla sundae with hot caramel and hot fudge. Neither topping was even warm. The sundae was alright, but nothing spectacular. The portion sizes for all that my party ordered seemed decent for around the $5.50 range. The chocolate soda looked quite impressive with it's generous scoop of vanilla ice cream balanced along the side of the glass. We enjoyed our sweet treats and conversation, but I don't think that I would return on my own. Maybe I just don't understand that the Sugar Bowl is an institution and that is more of the appeal here. There's a shabby little arcade in an adjoining room that attracted all the kids prior to leaving. All in all, I enjoyed the company more than the experience. The service was friendly and attentive. Had to throw that in.

Arlington, VA
“Great Style - Average Ice Cream”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

It feels as if you're stepping back in time when you enter Sugar Bowl. The atmosphere is very nice, the service is friendly. However, the ice cream is average at best. In fact, the vanilla that I ordered was somewhat crystallized. This ice cream does not seem to be made in house.