“Authentic?”

Salt Cellar Restaurant
Ranked #111 of 1,293 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Salt Cellar Restaurant is known for having the largest and finest selection of quality seafood. Open for dinner 7 days a week, the Bar from 4PM-12AM and the Dining Room at 5PM. Our twin Happy Hours are from 4PM-7PM and again from 10PM to 12M.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Our food was fine. I had scallops and they were... sandy? They had an extra crunch that I didn't love. My husband had a lobster that was great!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

3 pound Maine lobsters, stuffed lobster, and a ton of other foods. The scallops and mushroom dish was terrific. Only complaint was that with a lot of interesting options like Salmon Wellington, they chose to serve plain old carrots, zuchini and cauliflower as the vegetable on everyone's plate. Change to baked veggies or a casserole and this would be the kats meow!

1  Thank Katharine_NC
Reviewed August 17, 2013

On the recommendation of friends, we visited The Salt Cellar restaurant in Scottsdale. We had driven over from Tucson and had a yen for fish or seafood. Assured that the food was fresh and delicious, we made our way to the restaurant. When we pulled up to the address we thought there might be some mistake, because all we saw was a large parking lot and a very small Cape Cod style cottage in one corner.

We parked and entered the cottage to find a series of wide wooden steps circling downward. It quickly became apparent that the restaurant was situated under the parking lot! At the bottom of the stairs we were greeted by the hostess who asked if we had reservations. We should have called ahead. After all, it was Friday at 6PM ! She suggested we have a drink at the bar and check out the bar menu. We'd just made our selections when the hostess told us there had been a cancellation and we could be seated in the dining area immediately.

We were led past several separate dining areas which appeared to be paneled in old barn wood. Tasteful theme- related paintings livened the walls and each room looked warm and inviting. Casual dress was the code.

Servers were all very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the menu of fish and sea food flown in daily. Following their suggestions, we had a delicious meal with halibut as the centerpiece. Everything was prepared properly and served promptly.

We learned that the restaurant has been in this location for decades and it is obvious why. If you have a yen
for fresh fish and seafood, don't miss this establishment. Although it is a 2 hr drive from Tucson, we plan to go back to The Salt Cellar every time we find ourselves in Scottsdale. Be sure to call ahead for reservations, as on weekends and at holiday times they are booked days in advance.

2  Thank WPCTucson
Reviewed July 29, 2013

On Sunday evening there were four of us for dinner. Not only was the service great but so was the food. I love scallops and it seems to be difficult to find fresh scallops prepared correctly. Some of the time the scallops taste like there is sand in them or they are rubbery. Not at the Salt Cellar. Mine were melt in your mouth fresh. This is the first time I had them char-broiled. see picture below. One other person in our party had the halibut, and it also was superb. The third person in the group ordered the halibut cheeks. I've always been skeptical of ordering cheeks. Likely she was willing to share a taste, and I can tell you the halibut cheeks were lite flaky and not at all fishy tasting. I'm sure next time I will order the halibut cheeks myself. The fourth person in the group ordered the 3 pound lobster - stuffed. (see picture below) Yes they take a three pound lobster, slice it down the middle and stuff it with scallops and crab meat, and who knows what else. It was more then a meal and looked wonderful. Either come very hungry or be prepared to take home a doggy bag.
Like the name suggests, the restaurant is underground. Thus the name Salt CELLAR.

2  Thank Michael B
Reviewed July 21, 2013

i have been wanting to try this place for years. Finally for my birthday we went. I asked for a nice table for a special occasion and they sat us by the kitchen. The food was inedible. The worst beef wellington i have ever had. I complained to the owner and nothing. Not even an I am sorry.
Save your money and burn your money in a fire. It would be more fun.

1  Thank Cookster63