“Good food, good service”

Salt Cellar Restaurant
Ranked #96 of 1,250 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The Salt Cellar Restaurant is known for having the largest and finest selection of quality seafood. Open for dinner 7 days a week, the Bar from 4PM-1AM and the Dining Room at 5PM. Our twin Happy Hours are from 4PM-7PM and again from 10PM to 1AM.
Atlantic, Iowa
“Good food, good service”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Interesting location - yes, it is a cellar. It's cozy, and service was good. My friend remembered the cashew encrusted Mahi from ten years ago and wanted to go back. She said it was just as good this time. My fish was very good as well.

Visited February 2013

Phoenix, Arizona
“Melt in your mouth seafood!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My boyfriend brought me here for Valentine's Day 2 years ago. We are going back this year bc it is long over due! We had the shrimp san remo and it was amazing! I had the stuffed lobster and he had one of the stuffed fish (Can't recall.) but it melted in your mouth like butter! I liked it better than mine! Romantic establishment..perfect for an intimate dinner.

• Visited February 2013
BISMARCK
“A hidden seafood gem”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Waiter at our resort recommended we try the Salt Cellar to celebrate a birthday. He was right! We tried the Nantucket scallops for an appetizer. Now I have to try to find some rice flour in my area so we can try to replicate at home. Meal came with a basket of fresh breads and salads. I had the lobster and our waiter cracked it all open for me for easy dining. The claw meat was surprisingly so sweet. Birthday boy had Alaskan Halibut that was perfect with a light lemon caper sauce. I am not sure of the kind of squash they served, but it was melt in your mouth delicious. We were too full to try a dessert. Next visit to Az this will be a must again.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Julie163
SUNRISE BEACH
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Seafood Abounds”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have been to the Salt Cellar many times and always make it a place to eat when in Scottsdale. They have a great variety of seafish and a chart of those which are fresh daily. I was a little disappointed in the lobster this time. It was overcooked...a little chewy. The service was great as usual. I will definitely give it another try!

Visited January 2013
Fairfield, California
“Great Fresh Seafood in the Desert”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We visited the Salt Cellar after being told by friends about it for years. This is a south Scottsdale institution. First thing you should know is the restaurant is entirely underground. You enter a simple doorway under a blue awning and descend three flights of stairs into another era. You find yourself in a 1970s seafood restaurant with nautical-themed decor and a funky little bar area. Don't let the kitschy decor fool you, the food is great.

The seafood is so fresh because it is flown in daily. The Market Board lets diners know what is fresh. The prices are a little high but that probably reflects the considerable challenge of getting fresh fish to Scottsdale, Arizona. Even with a reservation we had to wait 10 minutes for our table. It gave us a chance to enjoy the bar with a couple of expertly-made cocktails.

The space is cozy (a little tight). You are sitting right next to other diners. The egg-crate treatment on the ceiling keeps the noise down and makes conversation easy. The wood fire grill gives a slightly smoky aroma to the whole place.

We started with bluepoint oysters and the crab cake app. Wow! these oysters were sublime. Absolutely fresh and delicious. The crab cakes were also wonderful, so full of crab meat. We had a glass of sparkling wine with this which was perfect.

We split a bowl of clam chowder. This was a little disappointing. The flavor was really nice but the soup was a little thin, more milky than creamy. Perhaps this is the style. Great flavor with big pieces of clam.

Then came the salad. This salad is straight out of the 70's. And not in a good way. This was iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, shredded carrots, bad croutons, and the ubiquitous single cherry tomato. Denny's called, they want their dinner salad back. The blue cheese vinaigrette was underwhelming. Why not just go all the way and have a creamy blue cheese dressing? Skip the salad. A nice Caesar would be better. And for goodness sake, make the croutons fresh.

The entrees were wonderful. My wife had the Salmon Wellington served with a side of hollandaise. I had the king crab leg and petite filet. The crab was delicious, the clarified butter was perfection. The filet was tender and perfectly cooked. The salmon was very good with the creamy sauce. We each had the baked potato which (thankfully) was small and very good. The vegetable side was green beans, cut carrots, and baby (cocktail) onions. The quality of the seafood probably deserves better vegetables.

Overall, the service was perfect. The seafood incredible. The sides were ok. Fix the salad and the veg. and you really have a gem. Regardless, the oysters were worth the price of admission. The decor really needs some updating but that's not why I go to restaurants.

• Visited January 2013