“Fantastic place to stay with family”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We decided to take the family to Spring Training in AZ for Spring Break. With four kids, it is often difficult to find a place that easily accommodates a family of our size...this was not a problem here. We stayed for a week and loved it. The service was great and the location was perfect. We would defiitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor! I hope you were able to see some great Spring Training games! I hope you will let me know when you get a chance to return.

Scott Caldwell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,577)

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last year and had many challenges with the service and I can not compliment the staff and management enough on how much this property has improved since my last stay. The service was great from the reservations, check in, room, pool staff etc., very enjoyable family vacation. Great location and very nice amenities. We will be back! We stayed in 1 bedroom premium with 1 child and had a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed: March 2013
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

I am very pleased to hear we were able to recover your trust in choosing us. Thank you for your comments, and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the villa for 3 night and love all the facilities it offered. It is very kids friendly. The pool with the slide is great. It is done in a way that you can always see your child without being in the water with him. The service around the pool is also very good thanks to our server Jack. Even it was march break and the place was fully booked it wasn't crowded. They also had lots of activities for children and adult going on around the pool all day.
About our villa, we had a small one bedroom. Everything was nice and clean but the living room/kitchen had no widow so even with the light on it was dark and depressing. But we spent most of our time outdoors so it was OK. The cleaning staff was very good.
By staying at the villa you can use all the amenities of the hotel, where you can find many other pools + the lazy river and another OK corral with the giant chest games, ping pong table,etc...
To go to the hotel you have a 10 mn walk or you can use the shuttle.
About the food, we simply like to go to the market grill at the villa for breakfast and lunch where you can fin Robin who is an amazing person. We went also once to have breakfast at the main hotel it was good too. But you have so much choice for restaurants with the shopping jut across the street and the hotel shuttle will take you there.
Now for the cons .... most of the villa staff was not very friendly and very unprofessional. When we arrived I did not even get a welcome from the check in person ( a dark hair man with little of a beard), he hardly looked up from his computer. Then the concierge called us up so we would pick up a welcome gift but all it was was pressure to book us in for a meeting to buy time share. The concierge girl (long blond hair) just took about all the the meeting but when we asked about activities to do in Scottsdale or in the region , she looked annoyed and just threw some pamphlets at us... So we did go to the meeting and lost one morning of our vacations but we wanted to learn about it to let other people now, and yes it may fit some people but the meeting is a complete brain wash where they expect you to sign and buy after the talk is over...so you do not have time to think it over. We got out of there without signing anything as I could just see the psychologic pattern they were using to make us buy. We are on a vacation and do not need that kind of pressure. But they were just doing their job and I have to say that Elizabeth who did the first part of the meeting is a very nice and sweet person.
So overall, we still liked the place but the staff need to be more friendly, may be smile once in a while and be more helpful and if you want to see the difference go to the JW Marriott (the concierge are an amazing professional team as well as the front desk).

Room Tip: Try not to book the small one bedroom lock off as it is very dark. Also rooms away from the pool are...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lifelight
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I appreciate the praise and will address your constructive comments. I apologize you found some members of our team less than friendly. I don't hear that often, but will work with my team to insure we don't let a down day come through. I will also share your thoughts with the concierge manager. I feel we have a great property, and you shouldn't feel pressured while on vacation.

I hope you will return and give me a call prior to your arrival. I would appreciate the opportunty to make sure we are your first choice when coming to Arizona.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have stayed here about five times. My son goes to ASU, and my friend lets me take her time share here.
The rooms are fantastic for a family of four, and the pools are great. Especially the adult pool. The other pool is great for families with younger children.
The staff is welcoming, and the grounds are very nice.
The free shuttle between the villas and hotel is excellent.
The hotel is beautiful as well. The spa is wonderful, and I've had many visits to it.
The salon at the hotel is great as well.
I think the area is perfect, and you can't go wrong with this property.

Room Tip: The buildings closer to pool are close to the main lobby. The buildings further away seem to have t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for coming back again and again. I hope you will continue to visit us after your son's graduation. I will be sure to share your praise of the spa and salon with the staff.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We love the Westin Kierland Villas and stay here every time we come to Scottsdale. It is a timeshare property but it's next to the Westin Kierland Hotel and you can use all those facilities as well. We usually stay in the 1 br/1ba villa with a partial kitchen. It's fine for the 4 of us. Always a nice view of pools/golf course. There are a couple pools and slides, pool volleyball and basketball. There is service by the pool so nice to be able to get food/drinks anytime. I like the outdoor firepit at night. There is a lazy river over at hotel and a beach volleyball court as well as lots of cabanas for rent and a nice pool. This location is great because it's across street from a mall with a CPK and PF Changs so don't have to eat at hotel. There's a grocery store and Einstein's Bagels down the street.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank carrie m

Thank you for continuing to stay with us. There is lots to do in Scottsdale this time of year, and I'm glad you and your family had a good trip. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We always try to stay in a villa/condo and got a great deal on the Westin Villas in the mail. The 1 bedroom lock-off is OK in size and has a double electric cooktop, a small fridge and small sink. There are minimal cooking utensils and no oven, but cooking breakfast in was easy. The grills are communal so we didn't try to cook dinner as our stay was only 4 nights. The grounds are beautiful and the staff is friendly and helpful. As a villa guest you also have access to the Westin Kierland Hotel and all of its amenities. There is a shuttle to the high end shopping/dining centers that are about a 25 minute walk. Nice to walk to and ride back after dinner and drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course view, upper floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue Z

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. Many of our guests stay for the additional features, such as our kitchens and washer/dryer. I'm glad you enjoyed your Kierland stay.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beautiful villas in lovely Scottsdale! We stayed in a 1-bedroom, 1-bath villa with view of the golf course. Overall very comfortable. The walk thru the grounds to our building is lovely with several sitting areas with either a fireplace or firepit - beautiful on a cool evening. Adult and kids pools available as well.

Bathroom was very large with spa tub. The only negative is the tub/shower combo - unless you have something like a step stool (or incredibly long legs) it's very difficult to climb over and into the tub. I understand not all rooms are the same so it may not be an issue for all guests. I can't image a petite (short legged) or elderly person getting in!!

Property is adjacent (pleasant walk) to the Kierland Resort which is very lovely. Once again, several outdoor sitting areas with fireplaces or fire pits. HIGHLIGHT - each evening at sunset (or 530pm) a bagpiper performs on the fairway adjacent to the outdoor bar - people sit around the fires with cocktails (or not) and enjoy the performance.

Would definately return!

Room Tip: Request a room with separate tub and shower
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

I'm so glad you enjoyed your vacation with us! It's a beautiful time of year to sit out by the fire in the evening. I'm sorry you found our tub/shower difficult to enter. Our larger units do have a separate tub and shower enclosure. Perhaps you may want to try that room on your next visit. Please let me know if I can assist in any way in planning your return.